At What Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At What Age?

At what age do you feel a child is too old to have an adult assisting them in the bathroom?

I think it depends on the child and not the age. I know some three year olds who can do just fine and then I have had five year olds that can't go alone

Comment

yeah it depends on the age. My older daughter was waking up to go by herself at night right after 2 years old. Never made a mess or got into any trouble. Now the 2.5 year old I have here for daycare can't even get her pull up or pants pulled up on her own. I would never trust her unattended in the bathroom.

Comment

I understand that it may depend on the child and how much help they may or may not need, but at what point do you feel that a child is too old?

Reason for question, is that I believe that there is a point where an adult should not be touching a child's privates. I think that by age 4.5 that an adult should not be touching a child down below. I feel that it is necessary to make sure that they are self sufficient to be ready for kinder....

Am I wrong for thinking this?

Also would you feel comfortable having to help a 5 year old wipe ?

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
          I understand that it may depend on the child and how much help they may or may not need, but at what point do you feel that a child is too old?

Reason for question, is that I believe that there is a point where an adult should not be touching a child's privates. I think that by age 4.5 that an adult should not be touching a child down below. I feel that it is necessary to make sure that they are self sufficient to be ready for kinder....

Also would you feel comfortable having to help a 5 year old wipe ?
          No way I would help a five year old wipe!! All of my 3yrs wipe themselves. I do a few 'double checks" after their 3rd birthday if they are clean then I trust them from then on.

Comment

Originally posted by MsMe View Post
            No way I would help a five year old wipe!! All of my 3yrs wipe themselves. I do a few 'double checks" after their 3rd birthday if they are clean then I trust them from then on.
            gald that I am not alone in this...

I had a 4.5 year old who was not potty trained. He was about the size of most 6-7 year old kids. I was very uncomfortable helping the child in the bathroom. To the point that I termed the family.

The last thing that I wanted was for the child to accuse me of something that never happened...

I wanted to add something in my parent handbook that states that all children ages ____ and up will not be assisted in the restroom?? I think that it becomes a point of inappropiate intamacy??n

what do you think? Am I crazy???

Comment

[QUOTE=daycare;105774]I understand that it may depend on the child and how much help they may or may not need, but at what point do you feel that a child is too old?

Also would you feel comfortable having to help a 5 year old wipe ?[/QUOTE]

I don't feel comfortable helping any age wipe when it's someone elses child. Even changing diapers on a toddler kinda bothers me, that's why I really try hard to get them potty trained as soon as they seem ready. Children can get situations confused. So my fear is that in this day and age kids can either misunderstand something or worse have a 'situation' elsewhere and confuse it with simple wiping. Having said that, if absolutely necessary I would glove my hand and assist the toddlers as quick as possible but so far here I just have the kids wipe until clear. I will assist in pulling pants up or snapping zipping etc. I would not feel comfortable at all helping a 5 yr old wipe!

Comment

I will stand at the door and direct a potty trained child how to wipe themselves, but I don't help them. They need to know before they go to school. The teachers in our preschools and Elementary schools aren't allowed to wipe or assist in undoing their pants. They can button up pants after they come out of the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan24 View Post
                  I will stand at the door and direct a potty trained child how to wipe themselves, but I don't help them. They need to know before they go to school. The teachers in our preschools and Elementary schools aren't allowed to wipe or assist in undoing their pants. They can button up pants after they come out of the bathroom.
                  One of my friends told me that at her church that they are not even allowed to assit the 3.5 year old children into the restroom, but like you said they can stand at the door and verbally assist them.

would you state something in your pHB that puts a limit on when you will not assist a child?

Comment

I do not wipe any child past potty training unless it is a messy BM. (And if it is a messy BM, that means they are ill and need to be home ) To me, potty trained means they are able to EVERYTHING themselves. Undress, go, wipe, dress, wash and dry hands, etc. Anything short of that is not potty trained.

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                      I do not wipe any child past potty training unless it is a messy BM. (And if it is a messy BM, that means they are ill and need to be home ) To me, potty trained means they are able to EVERYTHING themselves. Undress, go, wipe, dress, wash and dry hands, etc. Anything short of that is not potty trained.
                      yes I do agree, so what age would you say you wont help any more?? or would you?

Comment

I don't help past potty training. Everyone here is PT by 3.5 at the latest. SO no older than 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by JenNJ View Post
                          I don't help past potty training. Everyone here is PT by 3.5 at the latest. SO no older than 3.5.
                          wow how do you do it? None of my DCK even started to potty train until they were 3.... It only took a few days which was nice..

I am trying to finally finish my PHB and I wanted to cover everything that I have either already had a problem with or forsee being an issue..... wish I could cover it all but I knwo that I cant..

Comment

Both of my kids were trained before 2.5. Kids "way back when" were trained much earlier than kids today. Parents think about it too much now. It's not a milestone or something to be celebrated, its is toileting. It is normal.

I offer every child over the age of 2 use of the toilet throughout the day. Once they see their friends doing it, they want in too. But I don't PT here. The kids and parents do it at home. They do the work, I just do the exposure and offer the opportunity.

I have been told I am in the wrong business -- that I should run a PT Bootcamp for parents and kids. I wonder if I could make more $$ doing that...? :: People are amazed at how quickly kids PT with me. I have 2 girls now just over 2 years asking their parents to potty at home without an introduction at home.

Comment

[QUOTE=daycare;105817]wow how do you do it? None of my DCK even started to potty train until they were 3.... It only took a few days which was nice../QUOTE]

Part of the issue is the late start. Kids should start potty training as soon as they have the beginning of control which is about 18 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X