Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Answers For "Inquisitive" Parents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Answers For "Inquisitive" Parents...

Do you all have a set of automatic answers for parents who ask a lot of personal or program related questions that are really none of their business???

For example, I have been asked...
    • "What time does such&such get picked up?" (of course this is not their child but they just have to know what everyone else is contracted for).
    • What are your kids involved in that you have to close at 5:30?
    • What did you pay for this house?
    • Does such&such pay what I pay?

I've come up with some brief responses like "Oh don't worry about such&such, they are contracted for something different." I mean, I know you have to have some kind of rapport with your clients but some questions are either personal or my other clients' business. Have you guys been asked anything that you've had to ignore or come up with quick responses for???

"why do you ask?"
    http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

My one assistance client that pays me $50 for 4 kids every two weeks (county pays the rest) asked me if I charge my sister the same rate, if they have to sign a contract, and how long they stay at my house. Seriously, they pay 5x what you pay a week and its none of your business! ANNOYING!!!

Comment

I know what you mean and it's annyoing...

I had a mom ask me so how much money do you actually make after you paid all of your overhead expenses?? HUH well how much do you make...

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
          "why do you ask?"
          If it's a personal question or a question about another client I always feel like I'm stuttering. I try to give a "middle of the road" answer so the parent doesn't feel like I just totally ignored their question (even if it was kind of rude for them to ask). Just wondering how you all handle this......

Comment

Originally posted by TBird View Post
            Do you all have a set of automatic answers for parents who ask a lot of personal or program related questions that are really none of their business???

• "What time does such&such get picked up?" (of course this is not their child but they just have to know what everyone else is contracted for).

I've come up with some brief responses like "Oh don't worry about such&such, they are contracted for something different." I mean, I know you have to have some kind of rapport with your clients but some questions are either personal or my other clients' business. Have you guys been asked anything that you've had to ignore or come up with quick responses for???
            Parent translator:

What time does such&such get picked up?
            Will my child have an older child to play with until he leaves?
            If so and so is there till five then I want my kid to be till five too. If I'm running late it's okay because my son will have "his best friend" to play with. They have so much fun in daycare being with their friends. It's way better than going to the boring grocery store with me.

What are your kids involved in that you have to close at 5:30?
            I will be arriving after 5:30 definitely on days when your kids don't have activities and whenver I think the "activities" your child has is one they CAN be late at... like soccer practice, girl scouts, tutoring, church... you know stuff they don't really HAVE to be at.

What did you pay for this house?
            With that low mortgage payment you don't really NEED to have 150 a week. You should easily be able to cover that if I don't get ya paid on time with the other kids money and your husbands money. We're good if I don't pay or pay on time?????

Does such&such pay what I pay?
            If they pay more than I'm getting a GOOD deal.
            If they pay less I want to pay less.

Comment

If it's a personal question or a question about another client I always feel like I'm stuttering. I try to give a "middle of the road" answer so the parent doesn't feel like I just totally ignored their question (even if it was kind of rude for them to ask). Just wondering how you all handle this......
              I say "why do you ask?"

I need to figure out what they are really asking.

Comment

Parent translator:

If so and so is there till five then I want my kid to be till five too. If I'm running late it's okay because my son will have "his best friend" to play with. They have so much fun in daycare being with their friends. It's way better than going to the boring grocery store with me.

I will be arriving after 5:30 definitely on days when your kids don't have activities and whenver I think the "activities" your child has is one they CAN be late at... like soccer practice, girl scouts, tutoring, church... you know stuff they don't really HAVE to be at.

With that low mortgage payment you don't really NEED to have 150 a week. You should easily be able to cover that if I don't get ya paid on time with the other kids money and your husbands money. We're good if I don't pay or pay on time?????

Nannyde I love your responses.......

can you come do my interviews for me....

Comment

I have it specifically outlined in my PHB that each child's information is confidential. I don't disclose anything but a child's first name and age. I've never had someone ask about other peoples rates but if I did, I would resort back to the contract and state that their contracted hours and rate is confidential...as is yours.

And if they ask why I close at 530pm, my business, my rules, my hours. Working 11 a day is enough. I need time for my own family regardless of whether they are in particular activities or not!

And if they ask how much I paid for my house...well, most of that information is public record but I'd tell them they'd have to have 10 kids in daycare for 5 years each and that might be close to what I paid for my house! ::

Comment

"What time does such&such get picked up?" (of course this is not their child but they just have to know what everyone else is contracted for).
                    My Answer: Why do you ask? Still ask again: On time all the time.

"What are your kids involved in that you have to close at 5:30?
                    My Answer: Why do you ask? Still ask again: Life

"What did you pay for this house?
                    My Answer: Why do you ask? Still ask again: More than I wanted to.

"Does such&such pay what I pay?
                    My Answer: Why do you ask?
                    Still ask again: Just what their contract says.

Each answer would be said with a big smile.

::::::::Got side tracked mid post and just got back to it. Just saw while I was away Nannyde posted the same answer!::::::

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                      Nannyde I love your responses.......

can you come do my interviews for me....
                      That'll cost ya daycare but sure....

Can you fly me to your city first class and pay for a fancy hotel with room service? I love me some room service. ::

I should add this to my consulting business offering.... I'll play "what's the parent really asking?" and ply the provider with one inappropriate question after another. Once you practice with me for a few sessions you can do it in real life.

Comment

That'll cost ya daycare but sure....

Can you fly me to your city first class and pay for a fancy hotel with room service? I love me some room service. ::

I should add this to my consulting business offering.... I'll play "what's the parent really asking?" and ply the provider with one inappropriate question after another. Once you practice with me for a few sessions you can do it in real life.
                        I would love to have you come visit my daycare.... It would be worth a first class ticket, fancy hotel and room service....

Or I could just pimp my firefighter husband out for the night...lmao jk

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                          I would love to have you come visit my daycare.... It would be worth a first class ticket, fancy hotel and room service....

Or I could just pimp my firefighter husband out for the night...lmao jk
                          I love me some firefighter mens even more than room service.

Comment

OMG I hate that!! I get asked all the time what I pay for rent or do I own. Sooo NONE of your business!!!

As far as the quetions for the other kids I simply say due to our privacy policy I am not permitted to discuss other clients business.

As for my personal business like how much rent I pay or do I own I try not to have a rude look but sometimes I feel it and I just say about average.

When asked how much I make I aske why do u want to know do u need a loan and smile nicely.

Comment

Parent translator:

:: THIS is perfect! Sounds exactly right Nanny!!

Comment

Working...
                              X