Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Solutions To Age Old Childcare Problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Solutions To Age Old Childcare Problems....

I was frustrated that the DCB's kept tossing the balls over the fence, so DH, being thoughtful, bought some tether balls and attached them to large (spiral in-ground) dog "tie outs", instead.

Bring it on, Monday.....

It is a constant battle to be one step ahead of ever adaptable kids....

What are some of your Simple Solutions???
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Duct Tape? Velcro suits? Actually had a dcb that insisted on tossing our balls over the fence. He was made my shadow while the other kids had great fun playing with the balls for a few days and we made a big deal of how much fun they were having without him.
    I see little people.

Comment

When the kids are bickering a lot and just getting in each other's faces, I pull out my hula hoops and each child has to sit in the hoop, all body parts in and I give them a toy to play with, alone in the hoop. I leave them there for 20mins then switch the kids and hoops around for another 20mins. They can then go play nicely or switch hoops again.
      Doing what I love and loving what I do.

Comment

Cat, let us know how that works out! I have the problem too, but I am pretty sure my kids would end up tangled up in the tether.

Comment

Will do, Jen...

I only have two old enough/coordinated to play with them so we marked one with blue sharpie and one with green sharpie, that way they know which is "theirs"... (their pillows, blankets, cups, etc. are the same)

Fingers crossed.....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Cat Herder; 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: adding images of the balls and tie outs.
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

My biggest battles are over blocks....despite there being at least 4 billion of them they all want the same one at the same time. My solution was to remove them from the playroom and put them at one end of a long hallway that the playroom opens off of. No more than 2 friends at a time at the blocks. I also set up 2 other "stations" with coloring and books. Basically centers that stay out all day long with a maximum of 2 friends each. But since they're out of the playroom everyone seems to be able to keep their manners better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lianne View Post
              When the kids are bickering a lot and just getting in each other's faces, I pull out my hula hoops and each child has to sit in the hoop, all body parts in and I give them a toy to play with, alone in the hoop. I leave them there for 20mins then switch the kids and hoops around for another 20mins. They can then go play nicely or switch hoops again.
              This is confinement and is not appropriate or legal. How about redirecting them into individual art activities?

Comment

Not really a solution, but a fun tip...

we double our sleep mats as gym mats and also use them to build forts!

Comment

This is confinement and is not appropriate or legal. How about redirecting them into individual art activities?

Seriously? How is it different than putting a child in a play yard? Cuz I do that all the time when they start bickering, and I don't want to be doing anything I shouldn't. I'm just not sure what the alternative would be with the space I have ...
                  www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

instead of saying "she couldn't find her way out of a paper bag" i'm gonna start saying "she couldn't find her way out of a hula hoop"

SERIOUSLY? confinement?

i would LOVE to see the law that backs that up.

Comment

confinement? seriously? tick tick tick

Fact is: Kids as much as adults sometimes just need a few minutes away to recoop themselves. Being around other kids all day can be just as over stimulating as watching television.

it's a time out, although lianne I think the 20 minutes and then switch for 20 minutes is quite lengthy, maybe 5 mins? or an age appropriate time out is more likely.

Comment

throwing over the net, into the basket, at a goal...

Seems like its time for some organized play with balls!

Make a low net, look for an adjustable volley ball set.

Make a goal or basket.

It seems like just throwing is not challenging enough - so over the fence is the next step. Getting you mad or to go get it is the 'reward!'.

Give them another way to score, and reward their development.

They grow, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                          Seems like its time for some organized play with balls!

Make a low net, look for an adjustable volley ball set.

Make a goal or basket.

It seems like just throwing is not challenging enough - so over the fence is the next step. Getting you mad or to go get it is the 'reward!'.

Give them another way to score, and reward their development.

They grow, you know.
                          Great ideas, Thanks!!!

It really was not so much that they were making me mad by requiring me to go get them.... I just have to replace them as "over our fence" is a hill that leads to a river....

We already have bean bag toss, basketball, T-ball, golf, tunnels to roll balls through, slides to drop balls down, tennis balls to dump in liquid chalk and roll down the sidewalk...etc.

My first playground experience with a group was 23 years ago, so I should have a plan by now, right...

It's just Nothing compares to seeing balls go downstream.....

Eh, I will just order another gross of inflatable beach balls and call it a day...:::: The neighborhood kids love them, too, and occasionally return them

Jen,

Well, the dog ties were a big 'ole FAIL. :::: It was way more fun to try to dig them up or spiral them out. Did give me an idea for some quiet afternoon play-time with gears, though...

Keep other creative ideas coming.....

Comment

Originally posted by QualiTcare View Post
                            instead of saying "she couldn't find her way out of a paper bag" i'm gonna start saying "she couldn't find her way out of a hula hoop"

SERIOUSLY? confinement?

i would LOVE to see the law that backs that up.
                            :::::: I can't breathe!!!

I remember we used those in Elementary school for reading time, too.

I LIVED for those things because it was the ONLY time of day someone was not touching me in Elementary School. Kids have no respect for personal space. It never failed, the slimy kid ALWAYS sat next to me....

I'm not bitter about it or anything Turns out it was preparation for my current business. Who knew....::::

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                              :::::: I can't breathe!!!

I remember we used those in Elementary school for reading time, too.

I LIVED for those things because it was the ONLY time of day someone was not touching me in Elementary School. Kids have no respect for personal space. It never failed, the slimy kid ALWAYS sat next to me....

I'm not bitter about it or anything Turns out it was preparation for my current business. Who knew....::::
                              OMG! You are right!!! I totally remember that too!! Gosh, I haven't thought about that in years! Somehow the whole hula-hoop thing made it so much more fun to sit and read! ::::

Comment

Working...
                              X