Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed My Lunch Time To An Earlier Time....But Don't Want To Move Nap Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed My Lunch Time To An Earlier Time....But Don't Want To Move Nap Time...

And I am struggling with what to do with them in between! We now have lunch scheduled from 11:30 to 12:30. Of course they don't eat that long, but it is scheduled that way. I don't want to move my nap time up because I like that when they start getting up, it is time for some to start going home! Nap is from 1 to 3. I have some that are here until 5 or after, so I need nap to be as late as possible. So I have tried just letting them play, but they are NUTS after lunch because they are used to going straight to bed. But when I start feeding at 11:30, most are done by noon. Some a quarter after 12 or so. I tried reading, but again, they would rather street fight than listen to me read. I just don't know what to do. UGH! Term all the rowdy boys and only take girls? LOL!

Why did you move your lunch time up? Our lunch is about 11:45 and by 12:30 everyone is on their cot including the babies in their pnp. It seems more important to you to keep the nap time from 1-3 which is a great standard nap time. I would move your lunch time closer to nap time.

Comment

sometimes, when we have extra energy to burn, and they can't settle down, we go outside between lunch and story / nap time. it actually seems to help, even if its only for 15 minutes. you would think it would get them MORE excited, but it actually has the opposite effect. they come in, wash their hands, and settle right in on their mats. after one story, they're OUT

Comment

I'm assuming you moved lunch up because they were hungry? I think it's natural to want to sleep after they eat, so maybe give a snack in the morning and move lunch back to when it was? My only other suggestion would be to move straight into art or a craft, and then a story before nap.

Comment

If mine get done early I either try to read stories, turn on a cartoon, or if they can be calm let them play. Usually when all the boys are here they end up running up and down the hall if I try to let them play.

I've thought about running them around outside for 20 minutes once it gets nicer, but I'm not sure if that would backfire into getting them more riled up or not. Sometimes I just give up and put them to nap 15-20 minutes earlier and still have them sleep until 3 (we need the hiding under chair smiley).

Comment

Have them all sit on their mats and look at books till you get done and then leave them there and read a few story's then have them turn over and go to sleep.

Comment

I have lunch at noon, so lets say they are done by 1230pm then they have a half hour to let their food digest and they play or watch tv, but usually the play is a bit toned down and we nap at 1pm

Comment

story time. hopefully it would help calm them

Comment

My dc kids are done lunch by about 12 too, and then we start diapers, clean up etc. at 12: 30, so that we're on cots by 1. I'm cleaning up dishes, sweeping and mopping between 12 and 12:30, so the kids are free playing.

Occasionally my dc boys will get into it with each other, so I'll put one in a high chair and sit him where he can see me mopping, and I'll put the other on a step or sitting somewhere away from everyone else (but where I can still see him). They figure out pretty quickly that it's alot more fun to behave in the playroom than it is to sit and watch me mop.

On the other hand, if they look like they're not going to settle, they'll just stay there in their separate places til we head upstairs for the bathroom.

I don't call it a time-out, I just call it sitting or "not being able to play with your friends".
                  www.WelcomeToTheZoo.ca

Comment

Why don't you try to involve the children in the transition process? It is beneficial to them as well as keeping them busy until rest time. This is how we do it:

Our lunch time is 11:30. Most of the kids are done eating by 12:00. We then clean up from lunch. Everyone helps; they are all assigned a job during morning circle time.
                    One is in charge of making sure the table is cleared off and wiped down, using a spray bottle with water only.
                    One wipes down the chairs while another uses the carpet "sweeper" to clean up any mess on the floor.
                    Another child helps me get the dishwater and dirty dishes ready, while our assigned "dish wiper" stands ready with a towel to dry the washed dishes.

After lunch and the eating area are cleaned up we all go and brush our teeth, have a story and lay down on their mats for rest time.

Once all of our chores are done, and the kids finally lay down it is nearly after 1:00 so that works well for us. That also gives me time to go back and wipe up the table and chairs with cleaning product since the kids are only allowed to use water.

Comment

Originally posted by lil angels View Post
                      Have them all sit on their mats and look at books till you get done and then leave them there and read a few story's then have them turn over and go to sleep.
                      I would try this. You may find out that 12:30 to 3 will be your nap time

When we get done early I just stall from table to mat and then put a book on CD for them to listen too. Works great!

Comment

Can you take them oustide after lunch?

Lunch, potty, outside, story, potty, nap has worked well for me in the past.

If not outside, then lunch, potty, yoga, story, nap

Currently I am doing, outside, potty, lunch, potty, art, story, potty, nap

(I'm in the process of potty training a couple of kids, thats why might seem excesive!)

Comment

Working...
                        X