Should I Feel Guilty???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Feel Guilty???

Hi all! I am new to the forums and need your advice/comments on my situation.

I am returning to the field of Family Daycare. I did it about 10 years ago, but had to quit due to having to go back to corporate work for benefits. I've been blessed to be able to do it again, but licensing has been slow due to all the new requirements (not to mention that I've been waiting a MONTH for the fire inspector). So long story short, in my state I can only have two children until my license is complete.

FAMILY #1: AWESOOOOOOME!!! Can you say "on time"...."never late"...."always has check in my face early"...."appreciative"...."easy to handle child who naps for two hours and tells me he loves me so much???" If I could clone them, I surely would!!!

FAMILY #2: Young couple with an on again, off again relationship. I advertised for a 2 year old, their little one is 15 months. I also advertised for a Full Timer...they have been coming a few days a week WHENEVER they want as if this is drop-in care. Child rarely sleeps, is SUPER active (he keeps running and falling) and screams during nap time. Mom promised that child would become full time and they would sign my contract accordingly. Payment was late for the second time a few weeks ago, they have been picking up late, and STILL won't bring my signed contract back (or the emergency contact info OR the permission slips). I gave her a letter stating my late payment policy, as well as telling her that if I didn't get my contract back by last Monday I would start recruiting for a FULL TIMER as stated. She pretended that she would bring it in on Monday but stopped mentioning it and hasn't brought it in. All the while, showing off my daycare to her girlfriends and acting like this is her final destination in childcare.

Should I feel guilty when I tell her the spot is filled (whether it is or not)??? Since she didn't bring back my contract or even MENTION her intentions after SEVERAL conversations....should I even be sweating this??? I think she is RUDE and IMMATURE and everything is in writing so why am I even talking about this, LOL!!! I'd still love to hear your opinions on it. Thanks so much!

i think what you should do depends on whether or not you're willing to lose this child. if you ARE willing to lose the child then tell her, "i'm sorry, but i have a child who needs full time care, and since you haven't fulfilled our agreement to switch to full time nor brought back the papework, i have to let your child go in order to fill my full time slot."

if you're NOT willing to lose the child, i would say something similar - "i have a family who wants a full time spot, and if you're not going to switch to full time like we discussed, i will have to terminate care. if you DO plan to switch to full time then i will need the signed paperwork by tomorrow."

either way - it puts her in a corner to bring back the documents and start paying for full time care - OR leave.

Comment

I would find a full time child and let her go. She seems to have no intention of respecting you or your rules. It would be a long, painful relationship. She knows she hasn't done what you've asked so shouldn't be surprised when you tell her you've had to full her spot with a full-timer.

Young parents are often hard to get to follow things like payment, pick-up times, etc. I like the older 25-30+ parents, in most cases they are more responsible. From my experience anyway.

Comment

Personally, I would tell her the truth. You have clearly stated policies, and require a signed contract. She has not signed the contract nor adhered to your policies. Case closed.

Comment

She has already done several things that are very disrespectable to you and it will continue. I don't think you should feel guilty at all, she's the one not taking you serious. I would move on right away and fill the spot as soon as you can.

Comment

So let me get this straight-
            You have no signed contract with her to provide care, and you let her walk out the door without her child? Forget it. You are going to have a battle on your hands. You need to have her sign a copy of the contract immediately, and if she doesn't, you tell her to take a hike. You are running a business and will be working with clients that respect your policies.

Sayonara. Ciao. Adios. Buh- bye.

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks you guys!!! I let mom know that the little one would not be allowed into care tomorrow morning if I didn't have my paperwork signed. She filled it out right at my daycare table...come to find out she's not even working...HUH??? No wonder she didn't want to sign my contract for full time...don't ask me WHAT she's doing during the day. I made the contract out to say that they can stay part time until I fill the spot. At least the little one has some stability until they get their acts together. Mom & Dad aren't even speaking...so sad!!! :-(

Comment

I would tell them right away that you have advertised the spot for full-time as you indicated when you advertised to take their child.

Tell them that they have 2 weeks to turn their child into full time or you will be offering the slot to another prospective family.

My contract clearly states that I provide services to families with working parents or parents attending school. NO EXCEPTIONS! I'm not going to spend my day waiting for the doorbell to ring so she can drop off at any old time she wants to. Drop off are between 7am and 9am. Picks ups are between 3pm and 530pm. It is what it is. It's your home, your rules, your business. Don't let this parent take advantage of you!

And as for no nap...not at my house! Nap time is the only break I get. You don't want to nap, you still lay down. Case closed! No discussions, no negotiations!

Comment

Working...
                X