Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youretooloud View Post
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_155419-20787...site=shopLocal

I buy these at Lowes, and put one under each swing, then fill the holes with sand. It's soft, thick, and lasts for years. I have two that are 14 years old, and they have been outside in the hot sun this whole time.

I bought one on Saturday to put over the rocks, and I paid $20.

Anti Fatigue Rubber Mat

Now that looks like something I can do! Do you have a problem with grass growing up through the holes? Do u move them to mow the lawn? I am not required to have any padding as long as it's in a grassy area but my problem is the ditch the kids make with their feet (swinging) wearing the grass off then when it rains it turns to mud.

Only $20 each too that's a good deal I think!

Comment

Where are you guys finding such awesome deals on carpet? I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and their instock outdoor carpet was $5/linear foot for the cheap fake grass stuff?
      I got mine from a craigslist search, it was used at an outdoor wedding. When I was doing research for the carpet I also found companies that replace putting green and sport fields with carpet and sell the used stuff cheaply. Just did a "used outdoor carpet" google search.
      I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tygerluv View Post
        Now that looks like something I can do! Do you have a problem with grass growing up through the holes? Do u move them to mow the lawn? I am not required to have any padding as long as it's in a grassy area but my problem is the ditch the kids make with their feet (swinging) wearing the grass off then when it rains it turns to mud.

Only $20 each too that's a good deal I think!
        I have these ~ I WANT the grass to grow through the holes, . I have one set that I put down 3-4 years ago and the grass has virtually hidden it, you don't even know it is there. It solves the problem of the divets under the swings and the glider from dragging their feet. It just wears the grass off. You don't have to move them when you mow the lawn, they are too heavy for the mower to suck up. You just have to be a bit careful around the edges the first year.

I was going to attach a photo, but I apparently have too many attachments so I need to figure out how to delete some

Comment

Originally posted by DCMom View Post
          I have these ~ I WANT the grass to grow through the holes, . I have one set that I put down 3-4 years ago and the grass has virtually hidden it, you don't even know it is there. It solves the problem of the divets under the swings and the glider from dragging their feet. It just wears the grass off. You don't have to move them when you mow the lawn, they are too heavy for the mower to suck up. You just have to be a bit careful around the edges the first year.

I was going to attach a photo, but I apparently have too many attachments so I need to figure out how to delete some
          Great thanks so much!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
            Yup! When my DD attended preschool, it stuck to her socks and really never came out. I could see pieces of mulch in my washer every time I did a load of wash. I hated it!

I feel like there is no good alternative to mulch though; at least not a good inexpensive one. I think I may just wait and sod the area with the rest of the backyard. I don't know...:confused:

Does all mulch stick to clothes? I'm wondering if the more expensive rubber mulch sticks?

Comment

I got a quote for rubber mulch for my new playground were going to build, and its like $4000...............Ridiculous! going with pea rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                Does all mulch stick to clothes? I'm wondering if the more expensive rubber mulch sticks?
                I have rubber mulch under my toddler play area and I don't find that it sticks to socks or clothes. IN shoes and pockets yes, but any ground cover will be found in those places, . That's reason that I got rid of pea rock; they would empty their shoes in the house!

Jewel ~ that seems really expensive, unless your play area is huge of course. I bought my rubber mulch in bags at Ace Hardware in bags for about $10/bag and each bag covers 10sf at about 1-2" thick. We spent around $400 for about 250sf. Lucky our Ace Hardware is fairly close because it took two trips to get all the bags we needed!

That was a few years ago and Ace was the only place that had it, but now Home Depot, Lowes, all the home improvement stores seem to have it now.

Comment

heres my playground. never had a problem with mulch.

Comment

We had the wood mulch for years but as it breaks down and composts it get too dirty and the kids get filthy, plus we had a huge problem with mushrooms growing. The first couple of years were fine with wood much and you will have to replace or renew every couple of years.

The rubber mulch was exorbitant in cost because we are required to have a certain thickness depending on fall zone 9 inches to 12 inches. Could never get by with 1-2 inches here.
                    I see little people.

Comment

Originally posted by BentleysBands View Post
                      heres my playground. never had a problem with mulch.

This is the playground I have in my garage waiting to be assembled...

My problem with mulch is our playground will be set in the part of our yard that always gets flooded during rainfalls, and so mulch would float away, I have to go with pea rock, because it will stay in place when the area floods, and it will drain the water very quickly, otherwise, I'd rather have mulch. And I'd much rather have the rubber, but way to spendy.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
                        I would suggest the ground up tires that some places use, but only if you don't mind that they are a carcinogen...
                        ::What????? Who would purposely suggest using a carcinogen mulch?...Did I miss something?::

Our school yard uses those annoying wood chips too.

I have wondered about those hazelnut shells.....the kids might throw them though.....hmm...what is the perfect mulch?....mine is grass under the play structure.

Comment

awesome, we just love our playground. i'm sure you will too

we have almost 6" of mulch but we get it free so thats a plus. we add to it yearly as well as our flower beds.

glad i'm not licensed

Comment

Just have the kids go out side and stand like statues for an hour or so. No matter what we use it will be an issue for someone. How did we ever manage to grow into adulthood without all of these rules and regulations?

Wood chips - tree allergies, relatively inexpensive, mold and fungus allergies, sticks to clothes, turns to dirt as it composts, needs replaced yearly or bi-yearly, washes away when flooded, must be thick for fall zone ....
                            Pea Gravel - tracks in to house, babies eat it, kids throw it, moderate cost, children like to play in it, hard to walk on, ends up in the grass, find in pockets and cuffs, must be thick for fall zone .....
                            Rubber Mulch - expensive, carcinogen, (recycled tires)lasts an indeterminate amount of time, don't want babies to eat this stuff, works well for cushioning/safety purposes, good for the environment, thickness isn't as important....
                            Sand - sticks to clothes and skin, gets in eyes and hair, food source for most under two, carried everywhere, it WILL end up in your house and bedding, gets wet and stays wet easily, cats love it, it must be covered so cats don't get in it, source of contamination, must be thick for fall zone ....
                            Rubber padding - if you can afford it why are you doing daycare?, great cushioning, easy to clean, good for the environment (recycled tires), carcinogen....
                            Grass - not safe for fall zone, wears down to dirt in high traffic area, grass allergies, weekly maintenance during growth period, stains clothing if in contact with clothes/children....
                            Plastic mat grids - water drains easily, possible trip hazard till settles in to ground, cost could become expensive if you need to purchase very many, protects wear and tear of grass, safety of it in fall zone is in question...

Did I miss anything?
                            I see little people.

Comment

Swing

I always wanted to make DIY wood tree swings for my kids and still undecided whether to purchase in wood tree swings or just make our own.

Comment

Working...
                              X