Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes

I grew up with diabetes...my step sister was (and is) a diabetic and my husband is a diabetic. Both type one...needing insulin. My hubby is now on a pump which has dramatically changed our lives. Our six year old neighbor is also a type one diabetic on the pump. Anyway...it occurred to me that there would be a great need for experienced child care in this area. I feel quite competent in terms of knowing the signs of low/high blood sugar, etc. I'm wondering however, because of the potential serious complications of diabetes (I won't give examples here) should I have a special disclaimer in my policies regarding care for these kids? If so, what would I say? If there was a low blood sugar emergency I could administer glucagon via an injection with parental approval...then call 911. Should I just have it in a medical release form?

Simply have the child's doctor write out a Rx parameters sheet with exact treatment protocols, blood check schedule and dosages.

You have to be very careful "treating" without doctors orders and will find most will only approve "dial 911" because of the liability...
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
      Simply have the child's doctor write out a Rx parameters sheet with exact treatment protocols, blood check schedule and dosages.

You have to be very careful "treating" without doctors orders and will find most will only approve "dial 911" because of the liability...
      I agree with this.

I also believe there is a requirement that the provider show proof of training in this area as well. Not sure check with your state.

Comment

Originally posted by momatheart View Post
        I agree with this.

I also believe there is a requirement that the provider show proof of training in this area as well. Not sure check with your state.
        Good advice! I'm thinking maybe I can get a note that says when blood sugar is X above say 120 give x units of insulin. But I should check into training needed! Thanks guys!

Comment

I have a diabetic boy in care. The parents gave me a slip from the doctor spelling out every possible situation and what to do. We also have constant communication (If I need it- meaning their cells are never off and they always answer) and I have three nurses on call in case of emergency. It can be done, it just takes a little more time. Luckily I get paid extra for him, and he has a pump so the care is pretty minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by blessed mom View Post
            Good advice! I'm thinking maybe I can get a note that says when blood sugar is X above say 120 give x units of insulin. But I should check into training needed! Thanks guys!
            Emergency glucagon pens/injections are for low blood sugar. If blood sugar is over 120 when tested at meal time then each person has a specific formula stating the amount of insulin units to be given based on carb intakes and a "correction" amount to counter the high blood sugar.

IMPO, if a parent comes to you and has a child with diabetes, they will have a pretty explicit RX plan laid out so that you know exactly how many units for each gram of carb that needs to be given. These can be lengthy and complex depending on how controlled their diabetes is. I would also think that every item the child has would have the RX written right on it. I know my DH's and my nephews are all labeled with the precise dosages and times to admin. It is a constantly changing formula and can flucuate every day depending on sleep, exercise, food intake, illness, etc. My DH has a different formula of insulin units x carb amounts for each meal throughout the day.

This also got me thinking about the rules or regs that may apply since you would be dealing with blood and having all the necessary sharps containers and biohazard materials containers.

Comment

Right...glucogon kit for lows and insulin for highs. My hubby is on the pump...he has a schedule X units for X amount of carbs. However...as you said...stress and sickness and all kinds of factors change normal blood sugar reactions.

I never thought about the testing being a bio hazard...or even needles/insets being a bio hazard. Wonder if I'd need a special container for disposal?

Anyone know?

I'd really like to offer this service if possible.

Comment

Right...glucogon kit for lows and insulin for highs. My hubby is on the pump...he has a schedule X units for X amount of carbs. However...as you said...stress and sickness and all kinds of factors change normal blood sugar reactions.

I never thought about the testing being a bio hazard...or even needles/insets being a bio hazard. Wonder if I'd need a special container for disposal?

Anyone know?

I'd really like to offer this service if possible.
                My DH was issued a sharps container for his needles and pen tips when he disposes them....the containers all have the bio hazard symbol on them and must be kept away from everything else. You can buy them at any pharmacy. They look like this:http://www.medicalproductsdirect.com/dishco.html

I was thinking about the containers and all but I was also wondering about the safety of having more than one diabetic in attendance and the dangers that it might entail with having to deal with blood from multiple people...kwim?

I know it is simple, safe and easy since my DH is an insulin diabetic too but as a safety precaution you would think that the state may have special regs because you will be having direct contact with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  My DH was issued a sharps container for his needles and pen tips when he disposes them....the containers all have the bio hazard symbol on them and must be kept away from everything else. You can buy them at any pharmacy. They look like this:http://www.medicalproductsdirect.com/dishco.html

I was thinking about the containers and all but I was also wondering about the safety of having more than one diabetic in attendance and the dangers that it might entail with having to deal with blood from multiple people...kwim?

I know it is simple, safe and easy since my DH is an insulin diabetic too but as a safety precaution you would think that the state may have special regs because you will be having direct contact with blood.
                  Because of the direct contact I would wear gloves...but not sure about the state regs. I definately have to look into that too!

Comment

Because of the direct contact I would wear gloves...but not sure about the state regs. I definately have to look into that too!
                    Oh yeah, I figured that
                    I meant though that the other kids would be exposed to blood from someone else on a regular basis. I was trying ot think like a parent and I was thinking that if my kid was expesed to another kids blood, how sanitary and or safe would that be? I know kids get cuts and scrapes all the time but we are talking about kids who have to "give blood" and be poked with a needle multiple times a day and as a parent, I'd be concerned about the needles and paraphanelia (sp?)that goes along with diabetes.....see where I am going?

Comment

Working...
                    X