Question/Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/Opinion

I have a small daycare and one of my kids comes 3/4 days a week. He pays the full time rate (5 days). On the days he doesn't come sometimes I have a "drop in" scheduled. If the parent changes their mind and wants to bring the child on the scheduled day off and I already filled the spot for the day is it okay to refuse them? I was wondering if anyone else does this?

To me they pay for a full time spot. So it’s reasonable for them to expect availability if there is a change in schedule. In your situation I would explain to drop in care that priority goes to the FT enrolled family. If there’s a scheduling issue the drop in would have to find alternate care.

Comment

I would not refuse them as I would view it as a breach of my contract. They pay for all five days, they should be able to attend all five days. I feel it should work both ways.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I have one kid pays for all 5 days comes 3 days. I do occasionally drop ins for kids who dont come regular. I make sure I dont fill that space, I'm already being paid for the spot. Whether the child is here or not, if i were to accept someone into their space then i would be earning double for the same space.

I do require parent to let me know at least the day before if they need to use their space, but that's cause of planning purposes not because of space.

Comment

Originally posted by VAmomof4 View Post
          I have a small daycare and one of my kids comes 3/4 days a week. He pays the full time rate (5 days). On the days he doesn't come sometimes I have a "drop in" scheduled. If the parent changes their mind and wants to bring the child on the scheduled day off and I already filled the spot for the day is it okay to refuse them? I was wondering if anyone else does this?
          I would not refuse full-time family as all days belong to them regardless of how they use it. I would instead cancel the drop in kid if it puts me over capacity.
          I offer drop in care when my enrollment is low; or, if I am full, when kid is out i.e. vacation/sick or like your situation does not come on all paid days regularly which I would need to know in advance. Drop ins have to be carefully coordinated so you don't exceed the # of kids you are allowed to have but it is a good source of additional revenue if managed well.

Comment

If a full-time spot is paid for, I do not fill in with a drop-in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupadia View Post
              . Whether the child is here or not, if i were to accept someone into their space then i would be earning double for the same space.
              Exactly, and that is an opportunity to increase your revenue should you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                I would not refuse them as I would view it as a breach of my contract. They pay for all five days, they should be able to attend all five days. I feel it should work both ways.
                Same here. If I charge a family for 5 days, they have a right to 5 days.

If I filled the spot, I would regretfully have to cancel on that parent. I require a weekly schedule of which days a child will be here but I can't guarantee space to drop in kids. That privilege goes to full time paying families only

Comment

Working...
                X