Do You Work on MLK Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Work on MLK Day?

Hey nanny here and I was wondering do you work on MLK jr day if it's a paid holiday for the parents? I know everyone dont have the day off and it's still my job but I feel some type of way having to keep a child all day when the parents are able to run free. I dont mind being there when I know I need to be there but when I dont need to but have to is a different story.

Originally posted by LovelyK View Post
    Hey nanny here and I was wondering do you work on MLK jr day if it's a paid holiday for the parents? I know everyone dont have the day off and it's still my job but I feel some type of way having to keep a child all day when the parents are able to run free. I dont mind being there when I know I need to be there but when I dont need to but have to is a different story.
    Some of my parents are off and some aren’t.

I am open because I choose to be. The parents that pay cash can bring their child(ren) if they want even if they’re off because they pay for it so I personally feel it’s their right to have that option.

If I think all parents should take the day off and be with their kids I would close.

Figuring out who will/won’t bring their kids depending on whether their off or working is just not my cup of tea.

I have some parents that are off staying home and some that are off bringing their kids. I don’t care either way as I’m being paid either way so...

Comment

I am open MLK day.

Although, next year, I will be changing that since it's pretty typical that all schools now close that day in my area. I'd rather spend the day with my own school age kids, so that's what works for me.
      1/2 the families enrolled here are off but still bringing their children. It is what it is... if you're open, they WILL come. It's weird to us, but they will always, always do it.
      Ultimately, just do what works for you (take it off or in your case, negotiate the holiday into your contract).

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Some of my parents are off and some aren’t.

I am open because I choose to be. The parents that pay cash can bring their child(ren) if they want even if they’re off because they pay for it so I personally feel it’s their right to have that option.

If I think all parents should take the day off and be with their kids I would close.

Figuring out who will/won’t bring their kids depending on whether their off or working is just not my cup of tea.

I have some parents that are off staying home and some that are off bringing their kids. I don’t care either way as I’m being paid either way so...
        You are right. Maybe I'm just feeling like I have the child more than the parent I need a break too . Thanks for responding.

Comment

I'm closed tomorrow and it's a paid holiday for me. When I first started doing child care, I worked holidays like MLK Day and I admit, I got tired (and a little resentful) of having a houseful of rowdy kids to care for while their parents were off enjoying themselves on their own paid holiday. Once my kids were old enough to go to school, I started closing on those "Monday Holidays" so they could have me and their home to themselves. My kids are adults now but I decided to hold on to those paid holidays since most of my day care parents have those holidays off, too. On regular work days, I feel the same way BC feels. It doesn't matter to me if parents are working or taking the day off. If they pay me to watch their kids and I know how to reach them in an emergency, I'm good.

As a nanny, do you have the option to set your schedule and take the holiday off or are you working through an agency that expects you to work holidays?

Comment

I open. I don't really feel like it's a holiday. I choose my PTO the same way annually so I feel I get enough paid time off and real holidays that I don't need mlk. I don't care what parents do during the time they pay me to care for thier kids, I may secretly judge them as parents but as long as they've paid me I'll watch thier kids. However if they EVER run late on a day they were having "me time" that is an immediate termination.

Comment

I always have stayed open because I usually have a couple DCPs in healthcare, so they're probably working. Plus I close for a few days for a trade show around this time and don't want to have too many days off lumped so close together.

Comment

I work! I don't ever take time off actually

Comment

You are right. Maybe I'm just feeling like I have the child more than the parent I need a break too . Thanks for responding.
                  We are in strike mode here and the teachers are off. This is the second, maybe third day off in two weeks that mom has brought her kid at the regular time of 7:15am even though she does not need to be at work that early

I feel ya!

Comment

EXACTLY!!! Take the time YOU need and never feel bad about it because parent's won't give you the time.

It's important to know when you need a break and when I do, I just close and I don't feel one bit badly about it because like I said, we all have to be advocates for our own mental and physical health.

:hug:

Comment

I am off; I began taking all these days because school was closed when my own kids began kindy. They are sophomore and seniors now but not going backwards. Enjoying my days off. I close when school closes with the exception of summer break!

Comment

I'm open.

My own kids have school anyway and all my families, except for 1, are working. All kids are here today.

If my own kids didn't have school, I would consider closing for sure!

Comment

I work in a center in a mostly African American area. Our schools are closed and so is the daycare.

Comment

I am closed. It's my paid holiday. It's also listed in my Handbook I distribute to families when they come aboard so everyone knows way ahead of time and can make arrangements. I also do not think too much about having children in my daycare while their parents are off from work, as long as I get paid for my time. All families I provide care for pay per spot which gives me opportunity to charge for all holidays and my summer and winter vacation.

Comment

I too am closed. I also charge by enrollment, not time used or not used. My families pay a weekly fee regardless. It took me years to do that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X