The Kid That Constantly Riles Up The Other Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kid That Constantly Riles Up The Other Kids

How on earth do you stop this behavior? It goes on all day. I provide time outdoors where running and being loud and fun is a-ok! I do not permit horsing around or running indoors ever. I have put this child that riles incessantly in time out or alone to do quiet activities but it never stops and it's driving me nuts. Do any of you ladies have this going on at all? How do I stop this? Thanks!!

I find a way to say yes. I know, it sounds crazy.

If he wants to run, I set up an outdoor track (with cones) and have him run laps.

If he wants to be loud, I send him outside with woodwinds, drums or have him march cadence (think marching band).

If he wants to throw, I send him outside for cornhole and basketball.

I find ways to burn the EXTRA energy that suits his current interests.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
      I find a way to say yes. I know, it sounds crazy.

If he wants to run, I set up an outdoor track (with cones) and have him run laps.

If he wants to be loud, I send him outside with woodwinds, drums or have him march cadence (think marching band).

If he wants to throw, I send him outside for cornhole and basketball.

I find ways to burn the EXTRA energy that suits his current interests.
      Like I said we do go out and she is running, jumping, exploring , yelling but she is only 2 and has to be with me when I am inside. She riles everyone up all day regardless of all her energetic bursts outdoors. Need to calm her down while inside. We have harsh winters and it is coming. Outside time will be less😬

Comment

Sounds like your program might not be a good fit for her. The child is 2, and you are saying, "I have put this child that riles incessantly in time out or alone to do quiet activities but it never stops and it's driving me nuts." I will defer to the professionals here, but burning off energy is part of being a normal 2 year old. I am sad that she is constantly in time out or alone. Maybe she needs a program that allows more free play than you are able to offer in your group. As a mom, I would be sad to hear that a very active child is being forced to sit in time out.

Comment

Originally posted by lblanke View Post
          Sounds like your program might not be a good fit for her. The child is 2, and you are saying, "I have put this child that riles incessantly in time out or alone to do quiet activities but it never stops and it's driving me nuts." I will defer to the professionals here, but burning off energy is part of being a normal 2 year old. I am sad that she is constantly in time out or alone. Maybe she needs a program that allows more free play than you are able to offer in your group. As a mom, I would be sad to hear that a very active child is being forced to sit in time out.
          Thanks for making me feel like a shitty provider. I thoroughly appreciate your unhelpful input.

Comment

Seriously?!

She’s two. You’re setting her for failure. You need to rethink you’re profession. She needs to be allowed to be two without fear of punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              She’s two. You’re setting her for failure. You need to rethink you’re profession. She needs to be allowed to be two without fear of punishment.
              I definitely agree with this!

Comment

Some kids are naturally more active then others. One of the things we do is positive visual rules we talk about before breakfast everyday:

We use walking feet inside, we can run when we go outside.

We use quiet voices inside, we can be loud during outside play.

And the when they run, we say we use walking feet, when can you run?

Also we praise those who are doing what they should:

Wow, look how nicely Katie is walking to her seat. I love the way Scotty and Johnny are using inside voices playing with the blocks.

I will also say, it makes me sad when you run inside, that is not safe.

It really hurts my ears when you are loud, can we use an inside voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  I'm setting her up for failure? By trying to teach her to be calmer while inside?

Comment

I see you are from N.Y.I was from Ma. we both have tough winters.I was in a residential area with sidewalks.Every day we went for a walk.We left at 10am right after snack.Anyone over two years held onto the stroller ,The three infants were bundled up .We took a twenty minute walk and I used safety straps each child was "attached" to the stroller.Then weather permitting they ran around the play yard for up to one hour .Then back around the block into the house for lunch.I was lucky to be able to push the stroller into the porch.Same deal in pm after snack and nap.They walked well we sang songs and they enjoyed it.Good luck ...Winter is Coming.

Comment

Do you have an indoor area large enough for sound and movement?

I have a couple of 20-minute sessions of dance/music in our schedule daily. I give them instruments to play, E-Z steppers for stomping, clapping, limbo, river stones for balance, 4-way tunnels for crawling, etc. per day indoors. (we can't play music for more than 20 minutes at a time because it "limits verbal communication" )

That helps.
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieteddy View Post
                        I see you are from N.Y.I was from Ma. we both have tough winters.I was in a residential area with sidewalks.Every day we went for a walk.We left at 10am right after snack.Anyone over two years held onto the stroller ,The three infants were bundled up .We took a twenty minute walk and I used safety straps each child was "attached" to the stroller.Then weather permitting they ran around the play yard for up to one hour .Then back around the block into the house for lunch.I was lucky to be able to push the stroller into the porch.Same deal in pm after snack and nap.They walked well we sang songs and they enjoyed it.Good luck ...Winter is Coming.
                        I cannot stress enough how much run, yell, jump ect play my kiddos get here. We go out daily, I also have a very large daycare space in my home as well as my basement that is roughly 1600 square feet of play area. This kid no matter what cannot stop. We have to have meal time , snack time, reading them books, craft time without this kid riling up everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie928 View Post
                          I cannot stress enough how much run, yell, jump ect play my kiddos get here. We go out daily, I also have a very large daycare space in my home as well as my basement that is roughly 1600 square feet of play area. This kid no matter what cannot stop. We have to have meal time , snack time, reading them books, craft time without this kid riling up everyone.
                          Then you may need to consider letting her go. Clearly she needs something different. :hug: It isn't a failure, some kids simply do better in large centers. They just do. I've sent a few there, myself, they thrived.

Introverts do better in small in-home care, extroverts do better in larger centers with larger groups of peers. Some people require so much attention that it is too much for a small group to provide. My bet is you can name a few adults you know like that, they started as kids too. :hug:

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                            Then you may need to consider letting her go. Clearly she needs something different. :hug: It isn't a failure, some kids simply do better in large centers. They just do. I've sent a few there, myself, they thrived.

Introverts do better in small in-home care, extroverts do better in larger centers with larger groups of peers. Some people require so much attention that it is too much for a small group to provide. My bet is you can name a few adults you know like that, they started as kids too. :hug:
                            I am starting to think you may be right. She may need something different. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I have really enjoyed her but she is just a busy little lady🤪

Comment

Originally posted by Valerie928 View Post
                              I am starting to think you may be right. She may need something different. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I have really enjoyed her but she is just a busy little lady��
                              I had a little fellow the same. Here since birth, but by 3 he was losing his shine. I only keep 6 kids, mixed-age, and he was not being challenged enough. The state rules made it almost impossible for me to give him what he needed and keep the smaller kids. His mom and I both cried, but it was the best for him. The center had tennis instructors, karate instructors, swim instructors, etc. He just had so many opportunities I could not offer. He is extremely athletic, to this day.

His sister thrived here and stayed until kindergarten. She was artsy and a reader. She is an honors student, now.

Comment

Working...
                              X