Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Daycares Use Waitlists Instead of Raising Prices to Meet The Demand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
    Unions sell that idea to people buts it’s not how it actually works here.
    Same here. The union stated specifically that they would work to increase wages for child care providers but that they wouldn't address working conditions, state regulations, etc. I can see where a union might benefit center workers in terms of raising their rate of pay but see little to no benefit for independent family child care providers.

Comment

Was there a thread somewhere in which everyone shared their education levels? If so I haven't seen it but I don't think it matters anyways as many of the posters here ARE more qualified than you think and most know more about children and their development than many others do.

A degree does not make you better than anyone else.
      Paper isn't worth whatever is printed on it IF it isn't in conjunction with hands on experience and quality.

SMH at some of the offensive statements I've read lately.
      What degree do you hold?

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
        That's where you are so wrong; many of us are very qualified & we have degrees... I myself was a Sub teacher in a rural area of in TN when my youngest child was 10 (they had more regular substitutes than actual teachers many days).

My clients chose me because I speak more than one language & I did teach my daycare babes. I had a very multi-cultural childcare home for many years (I closed last year), so don't state something you don't know for a fact. I worked in the Legal field for 15 years before teaching & childcare
        What was your job? I know people in the "legal field" who are secretaries and have only graduated high school. Law firms even need custodians.

Comment

Originally posted by Myst_Seattle View Post
          I fully agree that it won't let you increase your capacity, but in theory it should increase your profit margin. Let's say you are currently charging $100 per week and have a 3 year waitlist. If you increase it to $110 (for new clients) the waitlist might drop to 2 years. If you further increase it to $120 it might go down to 1 year. Therefore your revenue would increase by 20% without having to take up any extra work.
          This isn't actually true either. I raise my rates pretty regularly and it doesn't seem to make a difference as to the length of my waitlist.

The biggest issue in my area and the reason there is such a long waitlist is there are so many parents that want part time, sporadic care and want to pay only for the hours or days they use. That doesn't work well for a child care provider trying to earn an income themselves and while staying within ratios.

My waitlist has actually grown more as I've charged more. Go figure. ! I can't explain that logic so I don't even try.

Originally posted by Myst_Seattle View Post
          It would price out some parents out of the daycare market, but at the same time it would help parents who have recently moved into the neighborhood and haven't had a chance to sign up for the waitlist three years ago. That's an issue faced by many of my parent colleagues who are new to Seattle.
          The thing about waitlists too that many aren't realizing or mentioning is it isn't first come first served so those last signing up to wait might sometimes be first served.

For me, it's about who FITS whatever opening I currently have. Does that make sense? So in reality a new family moving into the neighborhood and just signing on to the wait list might only wait 2 months for care verses someone on the list that has been waiting 3 yrs.

Best fit trumps first on the list.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            What degree do you hold?
            NYB.

What was your job? I know people in the "legal field" who are secretaries and have only graduated high school. Law firms even need custodians.
            Some of the smartest, nicest, most wonderful caring people I know never even graduated high school.

...and I am pretty sure that at the end of it all, the only thing listed on ones head stone is their date of birth and date of death. The rest isn't important. Especially if you truly believe a degree makes you better than anyone else.

I have zero interest in running in circles around someone who simply types the words "I have a degree" and thinks they are worthy of a decent conversation.

Have a great night!

Comment

Does this sound derogatory to anyone else?

Comment

This isn't actually true either. I raise my rates pretty regularly and it doesn't seem to make a difference as to the length of my waitlist.

My waitlist has actually grown more as I've charged more. Go figure. ! I can't explain that logic so I don't even try.
                In this case, wouldn't you want to keep increasing the price until you reach the "breaking point" and start seeing a decrease in the queue? I mean, it's basically free money as you'd get paid more for doing the exact same job.

Comment

Was there a thread somewhere in which everyone shared their education levels?
                  This might be it. The thread is from 2010: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24163

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                    Does this sound derogatory to anyone else?
                    There are several comments that sound derogatory to me. It's unfortunate and unnecessary.

Comment

Unions sell that idea to people buts it’s not how it actually works here.
                      That's totally how it works here. I made more at my union job 20 years ago than I could make in the workforce now. I wasn't rich, but I made a FAIR wage, that was more equitable than people make now. I had great healthcare, a pension, and a contract between us (union employees) and the company that we BOTH agreed on and felt good about. If I could choose union/non-union, it would be union every time. Another benefit for the entire community? Other companies would set their wages more in accordance with my company to recruit and retain employees. My entire community was better off when we had this union company (the city's largest employer). Companies now are literally starting at $3-$4 an hour LESS than what I made 20 years ago.

Comment

I had a union job and it was the best paying ECE job in my City by a very wide margin. People just starting were hired at $45,000 and that was 10 yrs ago. Plus benefits, sick time etc etc.

Every person I know who is in a union makes more than they would in the private sector.

Too bad this interesting discussion has derailed into a pissing contest as usual

Comment

If you're not happy with your wages
                          Last edited by nannyde; 08-22-2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Just my comments:
                            1) While it's not at the top of my list of concerns for parents, I still worried about whether I was affordable.
                            2) I honestly wouldn't have wanted to be filled with dcfs that could only afford top prices because some of them feel very entitled and expect special for the high prices.
                            3) Wait lists aren't all they're cracked up to be. By the time their name came up, other dc had been found. This is from when I was lucky enough to accumulate several names so take that thought for what it's worth.
                            4) JMO, but experience with children, dedication, love and compassion play just as much of a role as your so-called book learning, certificates and education.

Comment

I don’t feel the need to do anything to shorten a waiting list. It’s just not a concern for me. I’ll just keep doing my job, and enrolling families that fit well here.

Comment

The only thing unions help are themselves

The only benefit for the individual is a higher wage.

But at who's cost?

Unions are/were the downfall of the economy in my area
                                They are/were the downfall of automakers.

Unions help unions get rich but at who's expense?

Unions have also wrecked the steel and textile industries and have helped drive manufacturing jobs overseas.

They've ruined public education and cost tax payers billions of dollars and are bankrupting cities and states. (Wisconsin is a perfect example).

If unions were so wonderful, why aren't child care providers flocking to join them? Why aren't child care providers shouting from roof tops how beneficial and helpful unions are to this profession?

Unions have turned the American dream into a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                                X