Free Childcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Childcare

I have a family of 3, they're state subsidy. When I agreed to take them, mom told the state her schedule was from 6:00a to 2:30p. Immediately after starting she would come at 5:30a and pick up at 3:00. I didn't say anything because state pays full time which is 10 hours. Recently she has started picking up at four, going past the 10 hours and wants to pick up at 4:30p. I've told her she needs to call the state and get authorization for overtime. She did, and was asked to provide employment verification. She got it but the payroll rep put on the form the same schedule she's supposed to be on 6:00a to 2:30p, I told her she needed to tell them she's getting out later, she says she already told them and they won't change it. So I faxed it in hoping that the "schedule varies" statement on the form will suffice but something tells me that it won't. My dilema now is that I am feeling guilty and that I should some how just eat the 30 minutes 5 times a week for 3 kids. I know I should charge her for that time, but I don't know how much and what if she goes somewhere else where they won't charge her? Its a small town and Im sure she'd find someone that wouldn't mind the overtime.
    Last edited by mrma; 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM. Reason: typo

Can you call them yourself?
    Every state must be different because Vt. pays more over a certain number of hours per week. To me, that's a long day for kiddos, and starts awfully early. Is she truly working that many hours or taking time for shopping, etc.?
    How badly do you need this dcf financially? I think I'd want to charge something for the extra long days. That's 150 extra minutes a week for 3 kids. A lot of free time for them.
    It's a decision only you can make; knowing how your local dc situation is, your own financial needs....3 dcks is quite a chunk of change to lose if they go elsewhere.

Comment

Can she simply private pay for anything after 3 pm? Maybe that would put a stop to the requests as it would be coming out of her own pocket.

Why would you feel guilty? She is having childcare costs for three kids handed to her and is asking for more.
      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

If you add it all up you would be giving away over $1000 in care over the course of the year. That’s a lot for you to eat because of feeling guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
          Can she simply private pay for anything after 3 pm? Maybe that would put a stop to the requests as it would be coming out of her own pocket.

Why would you feel guilty? She is having childcare costs for three kids handed to her and is asking for more.
          This! It is not your responsibility to now subsidize extra care. Would she expect to work extra for no pay?

Comment

Our center here in Alabama is opened from 6am until 6pm and they base it on your income to determine how much you have to pay. Can you file a claim in your state if they don't come or if they lose their card or if they come longer than what they claim?

Comment

Educators, providers or whatever the state wants to call us:: provide services but are a BUSINESS. Not sure if my state has a number of hours per day for subsidy care, however, they have increased pay for subsidy here substantially to encourage providers to offer care for non-traditional hours (before 6 AM and after 6 PM). To my knowledge, very few, if any have took up their offer. Providers/educators offer services but we are also business owners and have families ourselves. No pay/no stay here!

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post

Originally posted by Vesta View Post
                If you add it all up you would be giving away over $1000 in care over the course of the year. That’s a lot for you to eat because of feeling guilty.
                Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                This! It is not your responsibility to now subsidize extra care. Would she expect to work extra for no pay?
                My thoughts exactly.

What would Walmart do - take her vouchers for most of her food then give her the rest free? I don't think so!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                  Can you call them yourself?
                  Every state must be different because Vt. pays more over a certain number of hours per week. To me, that's a long day for kiddos, and starts awfully early. Is she truly working that many hours or taking time for shopping, etc.?
                  How badly do you need this dcf financially? I think I'd want to charge something for the extra long days. That's 150 extra minutes a week for 3 kids. A lot of free time for them.
                  It's a decision only you can make; knowing how your local dc situation is, your own financial needs....3 dcks is quite a chunk of change to lose if they go elsewhere.
                  I haven't tried calling, I'll try on Monday. Today she picked up at 5:10. I am so pissed, its the lack of common courtesy that totally pisses me off. Why can't people just let you know they'll be late, whats worse is that she didn't even bother asking how much she owed since we JUST had this overtime conversation.
                  I will try to recruit three in their place before I let them go. They're a big chunk of change. The other part of is is that two of them are twin 10 year old boys and they are rowdy as heck. My head is still throbbing. One is overly sensitive and cries if you correct any of his behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
                    My thoughts exactly.

What would Walmart do - take her vouchers for most of her food then give her the rest free? I don't think so!
                    Seriously! No one works for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                      Educators, providers or whatever the state wants to call us:: provide services but are a BUSINESS. Not sure if my state has a number of hours per day for subsidy care, however, they have increased pay for subsidy here substantially to encourage providers to offer care for non-traditional hours (before 6 AM and after 6 PM). To my knowledge, very few, if any have took up their offer. Providers/educators offer services but we are also business owners and have families ourselves. No pay/no stay here!
                      A lot of providers in my area only take subsidy because its paid well. Our demographics are orchard workers so most everyone qualifies. The ones that don't are notorious for not paying so no one wants to take on private pays

Comment

Originally posted by springvalley112 View Post
                        Our center here in Alabama is opened from 6am until 6pm and they base it on your income to determine how much you have to pay. Can you file a claim in your state if they don't come or if they lose their card or if they come longer than what they claim?
                        I can call but they'll just tell me she needs to be the one to call for authorization of extra hours or I have to charge her private pay.
                        Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                        It's so stressful! She picked up at 5:10 today and just left like nothing. :confused:
                        Originally posted by Vesta View Post
                        That's a lot of money to be giving away, she's not a relative or a friend, and even then I'd think really hard about giving that kind of money away.

Comment

Is she working all that time??? It sounds like she's taking huge advantage of you!
                          Did you both sign a contract when she started care? Mine stated the hours and days that care was required and anything over that was charged overtime. It sounds like her original needed hours has changed dramatically in a very short time and I find that hard to believe.
                          You have to decide whether the stress is worth the $$$ if she pulls the 'going someplace else' card. That's almost a 12 hour day. Mama gets all the tax benefits of having kids without having to be a parent. :confused:

Comment

dreading Monday

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
                            Is she working all that time??? It sounds like she's taking huge advantage of you!
                            Did you both sign a contract when she started care? Mine stated the hours and days that care was required and anything over that was charged overtime. It sounds like her original needed hours has changed dramatically in a very short time and I find that hard to believe.
                            You have to decide whether the stress is worth the $$$ if she pulls the 'going someplace else' card. That's almost a 12 hour day. Mama gets all the tax benefits of having kids without having to be a parent. :confused:
                            Supposedly she's working, but I don't know why she just doesn't pick up at her scheduled time. It doesn't make sense to pay me overtime for that extra work. If I charged her 30 dollars, each child 10 dollars per 1.5 hrs, she wouldn't make that at work.

Comment

Originally posted by mrma View Post
                              Supposedly she's working, but I don't know why she just doesn't pick up at her scheduled time. It doesn't make sense to pay me overtime for that extra work. If I charged her 30 dollars, each child 10 dollars per 1.5 hrs, she wouldn't make that at work.
                              her being able to pay isn't your problem... if she is working OT, she's getting OT pay; if she's lying then hitting her in the pocketbook will stop the late pick ups pronto. Explain that without state authorization she must pay the private rate just like everyone else

Comment

Working...
                              X