Please Give Some Insight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Give Some Insight!

I am a mother of two kids. I have been watching in home for about three years now, besides my maternity leaves. I just started back up in February. I found a family with two kids. They asked to push my pick up time from 5 to 5:30/5:45 sometimes six. I gave in. First day dropping off they said it'll probably be closer to six most days, but they we're will to pay more money. So by the end of the first week I upped their price. As time has gone on I decided I wanted to have Fridays off in the summer, my last summer before my child starts going to preschool. I gave a months notice for the Fridays I will be closed. I didn't expect the parents to be happy about this. But the parents are telling me that they can't take all this time off and it's putting them out.... I feel like that's not my problem, and sorry ( not really) you have to use your vacation days to actually be with your kids. They gave me a list of Fridays they asked if I could work, Fridays that I said I would be closed... The people pleaser in me wants to give them a few Fridays. The mother in me wants to tell them to go somewhere else if it's not working. I'm torn. Please send advice.

It is time to create a contract and stick with it if you plan to be in business longterm. :hug:
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

That's something only you can know. In my area, it's pretty easy to fill spots, so I would take Friday's off. If spots were hard to fill and I really like the family, I'd work with them.

Comment

You need to do what's in the best interest of YOU.
        So do they.

I'd say stick to it with the understanding that they may leave.

Comment

I need to find my backbone. I know it's all on me.

Comment

Originally posted by ForMyKids18 View Post
            I need to find my backbone. I know it's all on me.
            You won't regret it once you do.

As someone else said, only you know the need in your area. My first year I adjusted to fill spots and in the long run, I regretted it. Now finishing my second year, I have stuck to my policies, let a family go and am full enough with great families.

Comment

I think they’re going to end up trying to find another daycare that can accommodate their schedule. If this was something that was discussed upon their enrollment, then they have no reason to be upset. If this is something that you decided to do after their enrollment, I get why they’re upset. If you’re 100% sure you want Fridays off, go ahead and take them off. It is your business and you can dictate the schedule. You also risk the chance of losing your families due to the sudden schedule change. I guess you need to ask yourself if losing the family would be worth you having Fridays off.

Comment

How does one undo the situation I put myself in with this family ? I let them dictate how I was going to run things. I am owning my mistakes.

Comment

I worked for a few years with my daycare and had Fridays off. It was wonderful. I highly recommend it. Having said that, I took new families with that knowledge. Before when I worked Fridays as time went on I only had 2 kids on Friday, then 1 on Friday. I took new clients with the mindset that I would not take anymore on Fridays so when that 1 left, I had the day off.

I worked at a bank before I opened my daycare. There would be no way at all that no matter how many vacation days I had that I would be allowed to take off every Friday, especially in the summer. Honestly, my opinion, is that you're asking alot of them to spring that on them. They need full time to work. It's really tough to find someone to watch a child 1 day a week, so you can't really be mad that they're put out. I get your position that you want it off with your child, but you have to understand that they need 5 days for their work schedule. You can do what you like, but just know that they probably will leave.

Comment

How does one undo the situation I put myself in with this family ? I let them dictate how I was going to run things. I am owning my mistakes.
                    You really didn't let them dictate it. They interviewed with you for a full time spot, you said yes. Now you don't want to give them a full time spot.

Comment

I am a mother of two kids. I have been watching in home for about three years now, besides my maternity leaves. I just started back up in February. I found a family with two kids. They asked to push my pick up time from 5 to 5:30/5:45 sometimes six. I gave in. First day dropping off they said it'll probably be closer to six most days, but they we're will to pay more money. So by the end of the first week I upped their price. As time has gone on I decided I wanted to have Fridays off in the summer, my last summer before my child starts going to preschool. I gave a months notice for the Fridays I will be closed. I didn't expect the parents to be happy about this. But the parents are telling me that they can't take all this time off and it's putting them out.... I feel like that's not my problem, and sorry ( not really) you have to use your vacation days to actually be with your kids. They gave me a list of Fridays they asked if I could work, Fridays that I said I would be closed... The people pleaser in me wants to give them a few Fridays. The mother in me wants to tell them to go somewhere else if it's not working. I'm torn. Please send advice.
                      I am not understanding what the issue is in general nor what the expansion of agreed upon times for care has to do with you taking Fridays off in the summers?

It's your business. Do what works for you.
                      Expect them to do the same.

Comment

Just because you used to do something (provide extended care) doesn't mean you always have to.

"Dear Daycare Family

Beginning on June 1, 2019 care will only be available Monday through Thursday from 8-5.

If this change does not work for you, please let me know NO LATER than May 15, 2019. Thank you!

Provider"

Comment

About the extended hours, yeah, you need to make up your mind and realize that a lot of people will push those boundaries. I am amazed how many families interview, asking for a set of things, then after I send them a contract, they come back to me asking for a bit more here and a bit more there. And sure, they absolutely did know what they wanted in the beginning, but tried to soft ball me then push.

But I close at 5:30 pm, so it's always a hard "no" on that one. I get too tired after that, and I know I do from experience, so I feel very confident saying "no" to that one.

On the days off, I agree that they might feel put out by that. But then again, you're a SAHM provider who has taken maternity leaves...if you told them all that, it's not like they didn't know that you might change things on them.

Would it work to hire a sub for your Fridays? Then it would be win/win.

Comment

Is this the only dcf you have at the moment? Is it difficult to find dcfs? Can you financially do without them if they leave, until you can find dcfs for M-Th? Dcm gave you a list of Fridays she'd really need you, is it most of the Fridays you've already told them you're closed, can you all come to a compromise of some sort? Can you switch to offering drop-in care(maybe SAHMs who need a day to run errands, me time and all that) and get new clients for M-Th only?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself. And I don't blame you one bit for wanting to spend more time with your own child. It goes by way too fast. But it probably was a surprise to start with you in Feb. only to find out they'll only be able to come 4 days a week through out this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by LostMyMarbles View Post
                              I think they’re going to end up trying to find another daycare that can accommodate their schedule. If this was something that was discussed upon their enrollment, then they have no reason to be upset. If this is something that you decided to do after their enrollment, I get why they’re upset. If you’re 100% sure you want Fridays off, go ahead and take them off. It is your business and you can dictate the schedule. You also risk the chance of losing your families due to the sudden schedule change. I guess you need to ask yourself if losing the family would be worth you having Fridays off.

I have to agree with this as well, if it’s worth losing daycare families I say go for it. Our children are only young once. But I can understand the parents frustrations, unfortunately not everyone in the workforce can just take Fridays off and may not be able to find back-ups for every Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X