Snow/Cold Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maelb05 View Post
    I do realize I need to change the way I think about these situations, it just tough! And yes, I have been given all sorts of reasons already this week. One today: "I have been scrambling all morning to make several appointments for myself today."
    A question I do have though is, what happens when these families bring their children and then can't get back to pick them up because the weather has gotten so awful or their car breaks down in the cold weather? (One DCM is on her own this week because is out of town for work)
    Also, I have noticed that these families tend to pick up as late as possible on days they are off. Their contracted hours are until my close time, but when they are working, they come up to a half hour before I close. Does anyone have a policy in place about if a family is late picking up on days that they are off or at home for the day? Or do you just treat it the same as you would if they were working in terms of a late fee. I have always felt that you don't have an excuse to be late if you are coming from home(have the day off), but maybe I need to change my way of thinking on this too?
    I do allow my families vacation days (pro rated depending on their schedule) each year as well, but nobody ever takes advantage of them.
    When we had our first snow storm of the year, I reminded my parents that I am open, but if their child gets stuck with me overnight, that I charge $200 for overnight care. After I started telling parents this, I have much less trouble getting kids picked up when the weather turns bad. They usually leave several hours early if they show up at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
      When we had our first snow storm of the year, I reminded my parents that I am open, but if their child gets stuck with me overnight, that I charge $200 for overnight care. After I started telling parents this, I have much less trouble getting kids picked up when the weather turns bad. They usually leave several hours early if they show up at all.
      That is a good idea
      They hear it will cost them that much money they will make sure they come get their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
        This is a brilliant idea! I was supposed to have 8 kids. Now I will only have 2, one of which his parent is off work today. She seems to show up right at 5:30 when I close or 5 minutes late. I’m fully prepared to term today if she’s late due to “bad weather”. It’s not my problem to figure this out for you.

Comment

There was a bunch of drama yesterday because our school district had said they were not going to close today (-40 temps). Everyone was complaining on FB, so last night they sent out the alerts that school would be closed. I think they got so tired of parents complaining, that they decided to close. Personally, I was born and raised here, so these temps don't really phase me. It's definitely cold and not safe to be outside for long periods, but in my opinion, the kids could have still gone to school. We were a farm family, so chores still had to be done regardless of how cold.::

I'm fine with them being closed, as my kids enjoy a day off, but I just think the same people who were whining about not being closed, will be heading out to eat and go shopping today. My good friend is a manager at Walmart, and she posted on Facebook about school closing, so we should stay home, safe and warm, but she'll prob see you all tomorrow at Walmart.:: I work in a restaurant, and I guarantee you it's going to be busy. No one wants to go to work or school, but they definitely wont be staying home with their kids all day!::

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
            There was a bunch of drama yesterday because our school district had said they were not going to close today (-40 temps). Everyone was complaining on FB, so last night they sent out the alerts that school would be closed. I think they got so tired of parents complaining, that they decided to close. Personally, I was born and raised here, so these temps don't really phase me. It's definitely cold and not safe to be outside for long periods, but in my opinion, the kids could have still gone to school. We were a farm family, so chores still had to be done regardless of how cold.::

I'm fine with them being closed, as my kids enjoy a day off, but I just think the same people who were whining about not being closed, will be heading out to eat and go shopping today. My good friend is a manager at Walmart, and she posted on Facebook about school closing, so we should stay home, safe and warm, but she'll prob see you all tomorrow at Walmart.:: I work in a restaurant, and I guarantee you it's going to be busy. No one wants to go to work or school, but they definitely wont be staying home with their kids all day!::
            Our school district website is clear to say the choice to keep your child home ultimately falls on the parent whether school is closed or not and no matter what decision a parent make the school is supportive of it.

Parents don’t seem to realize they don’t gave to be “told” and can stand up and be a parent. Why “force” (via whining online) the school to close when they can just decide on their own.

They closed school here today too... all my parents (except one) had already said they were staying home before school was called off. My one parent was planning to work from home (they closed the county court house where she works as well) and was pissy when I said I was staying home too since everyone except her had already called off.
            I won’t come in/open for just one family.

I told her she can still work from home but apparently her kids are impossible for her so... they’re 4.5 and 2.5 yrs old.... not MY problem. They’re good for me.

So she’ll just have to be a mom today verses getting any work done. ::

Comment

Working...
            X