No announcement yet.

For Those Who Have Art Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I send it all home, my own kids create enough stuff that I don't need other peoples stuff. (my odd's make bigger stuff, try putting that stuff up) I buy alot of art stuff, I love art and our schools don't really do art stuff anymore.

Comment

most of it gets hung in the playroom for decoration. about half gets sent home, and some gets chucked (just the scribbled unimportant ones)

i buy cheap paper in bulk, copy paper, beg the local newspaper place for end rolls, use old newspaper, save the paper they use to pack shipments in, use the insides of greeting cards, the back of gift wrap, bubble wrap, magazines, old envelopes, junk mail, ask parents for donations, cut up carboard boxes (especially cereal boxes), beg the local wallpaper place for end rolls and expired sample books to use the backs of, you name it.

sometimes they fingerpaint right on the table

also, if you have other choices available, they wont always go through just the paper. (i always have playdough or clay, and woodworking, beading, and weaving supplies out)

Comment

a good way to store your childs art stuff is to go to your local pizza shop and ask for a pizza box. bat your eyes and smile pretty, you'll get it for free

cover it in construction paper on the top and allow your child to decorate it. then cover it with clear contact paper. and voila....their own art portfolio. all of the sheets of paper fit in there so nicely, and the whole thing can slide under a bed.

Comment

Originally posted by melskids View Post
          a good way to store your childs art stuff is to go to your local pizza shop and ask for a pizza box. bat your eyes and smile pretty, you'll get it for free

cover it in construction paper on the top and allow your child to decorate it. then cover it with clear contact paper. and voila....their own art portfolio. all of the sheets of paper fit in there so nicely, and the whole thing can slide under a bed.
          Another great idea from Melskids!!

I just send everything home with the kids. I did a survey a while back with parents and one of the comments was that they saw the kids doing cool art work in the blog pictures but not as much coming home. So now I just send it all home. The parents can choose what to keep and what to toss in the recycling bin.

Comment

I wish I had a bit more space. All of your comments have made me want to expand my art area a bit. Right now I only have my kids table (fits 3 children and their papers) with the crayons at it, which also converts to my water/sensory table when I pull the big bin out and put in on top. My main floor (daycare area) is only 550 sq feet, and we really don't leave this space often at all.

They also always have access to the giant 4 foot by 8 foot long chalkboard and chalk. Actually, this might be a good solution for some who really want to give the kids the ability to colour whenever they want, but have younger kids who eat/mark on the walls - my dck's (and kids) love the chalkboard, and chalk is so easy to clean off everything. All 6 kids can fit at once, and it is taller than they are (I have it right at floor level), so they can draw BIG.

I really can't fit another center area in my playroom, and my living room is off limits for kids art supplies (not that i have any room in there anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by SunflowerMama View Post
              This is what I've come up with since receiving some great suggestions on here after I posted about my space.

It's worked great so far today. I have one 19 month old (hence the gate) and everyone else is 3+.

I also have these super cool chalkboard labels coming from Etsy to label all the mason jars and containers.

sunflower mama---- wow that looks great and fun... only thing that I could see going wrong in that pic is that the suppies are in glass jars and it looks like you have wood floors.... I use the 2qt plastic yogurt buckets, no chance of glass breaking any where.

I do not set out my supplies, we have a set schedule in which we do a rotation of arts.
              for one hour I set up 4 stations.

station 1... markers crayons and paper for drawing.

station 2... glue, paper, magazines, tape, stickers, sissors

station 3... clay and playdough with all the fun cookie cutter rollingpins, and etc

station 4... water colors, paint, paper, sponges, brushes, water bottles to spray, all paining supplies.

each child is allowed to be at a table for 15 min. we set the timer for 12 min to allow 3 min clean up, then switch. when the hour has passed, where ever the child is, they will need to clean that station. no station can have more than 2 children at a time and if they argue or fight they are forced to move tables....

Comment

For Those Who Have Art Centers

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                sunflower mama---- wow that looks great and fun... only thing that I could see going wrong in that pic is that the suppies are in glass jars and it looks like you have wood floors.... I use the 2qt plastic yogurt buckets, no chance of glass breaking any where.

I do not set out my supplies, we have a set schedule in which we do a rotation of arts.
                for one hour I set up 4 stations.

station 1... markers crayons and paper for drawing.

station 2... glue, paper, magazines, tape, stickers, sissors

station 3... clay and playdough with all the fun cookie cutter rollingpins, and etc

station 4... water colors, paint, paper, sponges, brushes, water bottles to spray, all paining supplies.

each child is allowed to be at a table for 15 min. we set the timer for 12 min to allow 3 min clean up, then switch. when the hour has passed, where ever the child is, they will need to clean that station. no station can have more than 2 children at a time and if they argue or fight they are forced to move tables....
                I like this idea.

Can you tell me how many kids you have and what ages they are?

As I have three 3 years old and rest under two so I am wondering how I can set this activity up for them

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
                  I like this idea.

Can you tell me how many kids you have and what ages they are?

As I have three 3 years old and rest under two so I am wondering how I can set this activity up for them
                  My kids are 19 month to age 4.75...
                  We do this rotation hour when 19mo old is sleeping
                  I have 6 kids everyday. We do this rotation right after pm snack..
                  While the kids are eating I set up. They do it from about 4-5 and then at 5 we clean everything up and get ready for going home

Most of my kids were 2 when we started it. I just changed some of the art activities like no scissors or anything dangerous for that age

I also do 30 mom in the morning of motor skills the same way in rotation stations.
                  Blocks at one. Legos at one, cardboard sewing, puzzles, wood board builders and etc.
                  Again same method and system.

You can also do water cups buckets at one station, burry toys in shallow bucket of sand, rice bowls with cups to pour. Or beans. Lol I could go on forever. Lol

So basically as you can see I love doing rotation stations. Set up however you would like

Comment

Working...
                  X