No announcement yet.

How Many Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Vt., we home providers can have 6 FT(with only 2 under 2 yo) and 4 SA dcks.
    My insurance co., though, says I can have no more than 6 at any one time. Right now, I have 2 FT, an infant coming in a couple weeks when 1 of those turns 2 yo, and then 2 that are in FT school. There were times when I had 10 dcks here all summer by myself. With the right mix of kiddos, I would love it but it seemed like there were always issues with certain dcks which created problems within the whole group.
    Ideally, (I think) I would love to have 4 ft dcks 3 yo and under. I love the younger ones.
    I only had 2 littles before the other 2, 4 and 5 yos, came in from school, and we had such a wonderful morning!!! Best day I've had in I don't know how long. As soon as the 4 and 5 yos came in, all he!! broke loose again. Running, screaming, pushing hands on, not listening. And of course it gets the littles all riled up.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
      In Vt., we home providers can have 6 FT(with only 2 under 2 yo) and 4 SA dcks.
      My insurance co., though, says I can have no more than 6 at any one time. Right now, I have 2 FT, an infant coming in a couple weeks when 1 of those turns 2 yo, and then 2 that are in FT school. There were times when I had 10 dcks here all summer by myself. With the right mix of kiddos, I would love it but it seemed like there were always issues with certain dcks which created problems within the whole group.
      Ideally, (I think) I would love to have 4 ft dcks 3 yo and under. I love the younger ones.
      I only had 2 littles before the other 2, 4 and 5 yos, came in from school, and we had such a wonderful morning!!! Best day I've had in I don't know how long. As soon as the 4 and 5 yos came in, all he!! broke loose again. Running, screaming, pushing hands on, not listening. And of course it gets the littles all riled up.
      And your issues are partially why I stopped taking older kids ... I do nothing but under 24 months and have for the last 10 years - 1:4 ratio and I'm perfectly happy

Comment

I am licensed for 10, and the amount of each age level depends on how many infants I have. (Infants are defined as under 18 months)

Right now I have one 13 month old, 5 between 2 and 4. Then I have 3 school age that come at 3:30 when school gets out.

Like BlackCat said, different families are looking for different ratios. Some like big groups of kids, some like small groups.
        Find what you like to and then market it. If you like small numbers, then advertise it that way. "Low provider to child ratios to provide lots of individual attention and care!" Then, you will be attracting the families that want the care you provide.

Comment

I am only allowed 5 but had 6 over the summer with my 9 yr old (she doesn’t count in ratios). For me it depends on the group.

Comment

Licensed for 8, currently have 3

If I was doing general mixed age group I would be happiest with 6, 5 if I had an infant, 4 if multiple infants. If I can fill my openings with school age/ after pre-K I'll try to max out at 8.

Comment

I am licensed for 8 and currently have ...
              7 month old
              12 month old
              2 year old
              2 year old (my own)
              3 year old
              5 year old in kinder (here 1:30pm, my own)
              8 year old in 2nd grade (here at 3pm, my own)
              13 year old in 8th grade (here at 4pm, my own, doesn't count towards my ratios.
              Everyone is full time.

Comment

I'm licensed for 6. I have 6 before school and after school but only 3 during the school day. I love it. Lots of hands on time and I can individualize my care much better.

Comment

12+4SA
                  I have 12 and keep the SA spots for siblings of current customers.

Comment

Licensed for 16.
                    Four kids can be under age 2.
                    Two providers if the headcount is over 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X