Children's Car Deaths in the Summer versus Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
    A bundled up child will survive in a freezing car much longer than a child will survive a hot car.
    How many parents are still buckling them in in coats though?

They have been teaching parents not to do this in birthing centers and pediatricians offices for well over 10 years, now. No coats in carseats to prevent ejection fatalities is pretty standard fare.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post

They have been teaching parents not to do this in birthing centers and pediatricians offices for well over 10 years, now. No coats in carseats to prevent ejection fatalities is pretty standard fare.
      Of my 6 daycare families only one actually does the noncoats in the car thing. I think it’s WAY less common to not wear a coat.

Comment

Originally posted by storybookending View Post
        Of my 6 daycare families only one actually does the noncoats in the car thing. I think it’s WAY less common to not wear a coat.
        That is horrific to me.
        - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

My kids wear coats and so do most kids here. I choose one of those puffer jackets that you can roll up and fit in your pocket. It is designed to reduce way down in size. This way I can pull the straps tights and it is rated to -35C. Most parents use regular parkas. If a parent doesn’t use a coat they have the coat over them or a carseat poncho or something to keep them warm.

Even in a car without a coat I believe with shivering and contained environment the child would survive in the daytime at least 8 hours.

Comment

Most people still keep the children in coats I believe. Most of mine pop out with theirs still on. Maybe this is why we don't read about children dying in the cars in the winter because they are so bundled up.
            Each day is a fresh start
            Never look back on regrets
            Live life to the fullest
            We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

That is horrific to me.
              I mean I am in WI so maybe that makes a difference? Interested if BC reads this if she notices a majority of her dcks coming in/leaving wearing coats. What state are you in again CH? I am thinking TN for some reason but that may be someone else. I first only heard of the coats and car seats thing being a no no in the last 2-3 years or so. A lot of my parents have no clue.

Comment

I mean I am in WI so maybe that makes a difference? Interested if BC reads this if she notices a majority of her dcks coming in/leaving wearing coats. What state are you in again CH? I am thinking TN for some reason but that may be someone else. I first only heard of the coats and car seats thing being a no no in the last 2-3 years or so. A lot of my parents have no clue.
                I’ve had a few parents use alternate options instead of a heavy winter coat but a majority of my parents keep coats on their kids.

I’m aware of the coat/no coat topic but I guess I always categorized it like a co-sleeping/own bed type thing. More of a choice vs safety recommendation.

It wasn’t something discussed when my own children were young and I’ve never transported DCK’s so I’m not too “up to date” on this issue. I’m not required to take current training if I don’t transport.

I just notice almost all my DCKs arrive and leave in full winter gear during that season.

Comment

No, where we live can get extremely cold and snowy depending on where you live in the state but where I live it is more a damp, rainy cold. Kids still wear pretty big jackets, raincoats or sweatshirts.

I really haven't heard much about the coat and car seat thing till maybe 2 winters ago but my kids always wore coats when in their carseats.
                  Each day is a fresh start
                  Never look back on regrets
                  Live life to the fullest
                  We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

Extreme NE Ga Mtns (we often go to TN for lunch). Falling off mountains (no guard rails, crumbling shoulders) and being ejected is a common cause of death here. Mostly tourists.

Maybe it is a regional thing.

Comment

Extreme NE Ga Mtns. Falling off mountains (no guard rails, crumbling shoulders) and being ejected is a common cause of death here. Mostly tourists.

Maybe it is a regional thing.
                      I will be coming to Blue Ridge Ga in August...it is decoration and we have lots of Family buried there. My grandparents were raised there but migrated to Tennessee before I came along.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                        I will be coming to Blue Ridge Ga in August...it is decoration and we have lots of Family buried there. My grandparents were raised there but migrated to Tennessee before I came along.
                        Good timing. The rodeo, cruise ins, hard cider and beer festivals happen then. ::::

September - October is also awesome with the blues, apple, sorghum, Fall and BBQ festivals. lovethis

Comment

Good timing. The rodeo, cruise ins, hard cider and beer festivals happen then. ::::

September - October is also awesome with the blues, apple, sorghum, Fall and BBQ festivals. lovethis
                          We like going to that place you get all those fried pies and fruit where they intertwine the pear-apple trees. We rent a cabin and there is usually 20-30 of us so it is a good time for all!

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                            We like going to that place you get all those fried pies and fruit where they intertwine the pear-apple trees. We rent a cabin and there is usually 20-30 of us so it is a good time for all!
                            Mercier lovethis

Comment

Mercier lovethis
                              Yep.. I was just googling for the name cause I couldn't remember::

Comment

Working...
                              X