Parents Having A Copy of Your License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Having A Copy of Your License

So just received an email from the licensing dept. As of July 1 all parents need to be provided a copy of our license for the childcare.

We all ready have to have one hanging on our wall-that to me is providing a copy to the parents. Not sure why we need to give them a physical copy to have.

I ask no other profession for a copy of their license.
    Each day is a fresh start
    Never look back on regrets
    Live life to the fullest
    We only get one shot at this!!

Grrrrrr

What state?

Comment

That's dumb! The parents who never would have noticed the absence of a posted license will also never notice the absence of being handed one. Only serves to inconvenience the provider just a tiny bit more than they already have been!

Comment

Interesting, now does your hair dresser (or anyone else that needs to be licensed to provide a service) need to give you a copy of their license? If one business is required to do this than why not all? Or why is child care singled out?

Honestly If I had to do this I would scan it in, shrink it, and attach it as a photo into my hand book or at the bottom of the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by 284878 View Post
          Interesting, now does your hair dresser (or anyone else that needs to be licensed to provide a service) need to give you a copy of their license? If one business is required to do this than why not all? Or why is child care singled out?

Honestly If I had to do this I would scan it in, shrink it, and attach it as a photo into my hand book or at the bottom of the contract.
          That was what I was thinking. I'd shrink it to the size of a dime. ::

Comment

I am all for it.

If that becomes the norm, running an illegal childcare will become exceptionally difficult to pull off. Penalties will also become stiffer. The charges would then include fraud because the parent would expect a copy of their license. Fake licenses would bring bigger charges.

We have to give parents a State handbook that summarizes the rules, their rights, responsibilities and gives them all of the contact information they need should things go south. I think that started back in the early 2000's. Our inspections are posted online, too.

One more step to make it harder for others to cheat the system is cool with me.
            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
              I am all for it.

If that becomes the norm, running an illegal childcare will become exceptionally difficult to pull off. Penalties will also become stiffer. The charges would then include fraud because the parent would expect a copy of their license. Fake licenses would bring bigger charges.

We have to give parents a State handbook that summarizes the rules, their rights, responsibilities and gives them all of the contact information they need should things go south. I think that started back in the early 2000's. Our inspections are posted online, too.

I agree with you in theory. The reason I consider it a waste of time is IMHO most parents using an illegally unlicensed daycare know but don't care until it bites them in the butt. I have to have my license posted "prominently" where parents can see it. Parents who care if I'm licensed usually ask right away. The ones who don't wouldn't notice if I had a flashing neon arrow pointing at it. I have to hand out a summary also. The back page is for the parents to sign, tear out, and return stating they've been given it by the provider. If I don't point it out and specifically say they have to return it I almost never get it back.

If this is part of actually a real plan to enforce rules on illegal daycare I'm all for it. Call me skeptical but this sounds like a classic "do nothing while looking busy" move.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                If this is part of actually a real plan to enforce rules on illegal daycare I'm all for it. Call me skeptical but this sounds like a classic "do nothing while looking busy" move.
                It has been discussed for years in public meetings. It also makes it easier to prove parents knew and hold them liable for choosing illegal care if something happens. I'd imagine it would not be a fun topic to defend in divorce or civil court, either.
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I am all for it.

It would be great... if parents knew what to expect when interviewing. Most don't know the regulations or what they're suppose to be informed on.
                  Heck, some don't even look through the paperwork at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                    I agree with you in theory. The reason I consider it a waste of time is IMHO most parents using an illegally unlicensed daycare know but don't care until it bites them in the butt. I have to have my license posted "prominently" where parents can see it. Parents who care if I'm licensed usually ask right away. The ones who don't wouldn't notice if I had a flashing neon arrow pointing at it. I have to hand out a summary also. The back page is for the parents to sign, tear out, and return stating they've been given it by the provider. If I don't point it out and specifically say they have to return it I almost never get it back.

I agree with this ! Same here most parents dont even ask if I am licensed or care. I am the one that brings it up.

Comment

I see this as a logical way to address situations where parents do not know the differences in licensing classes.... certified or registered or licensed exempt or operating illegally all together.

Also isn’t Oregon a state that allows a license holder and provider to be two different people? I thought I read something about additional training requirements for providers that aren’t the license holders and the requirement to provide a copy of the license is one way the state is addressing this confusion.

I dunno I read a ton of state rules and changes and recently it’s been harder to keep track as every state seems to trying to “step it up” from previous rules/regulations.

In my state (MN) our license must be posted in the physical facility but we also have a licensing look up site that allows the public to access almost ALL license holder,s information (including citations and fines) for anyone licensed under DHS.

This includes Family/Center child cares, foster care, short/long stay residential services, group homes and assisted living facilities etc...

Comment

My husband said to put it into my handbook but this starts July 1 and I'm not redoing handbooks for everyone.

I have never asked another profession who has to be licensed to have a copy.

It is to help with illegal childcare's but I rarely have anyone ask me about any of my "credentials". I bring it up, show the the "wall of fame" with all my certificates, license, etc.

I guess we also have to now show them with finding our states website that shows all our inspections, any valid findings, etc.

Wonder what will happen the first time someone's license is posted in someone else's house because we now have to hand them out?

Then with the push which is mainly from our community but I can see it in the future becoming a rule, for childcare providers to have to call when a child doesn't show up when scheduled.

It's been a week and it's only Tuesday!
                        Each day is a fresh start
                        Never look back on regrets
                        Live life to the fullest
                        We only get one shot at this!!

Comment

I am all for it.

YEP, Totally agree with this.....too many have let their license go but kept the same ratios and parents think they are still licensed.

Comment

Originally posted by Annalee View Post
                            YEP, Totally agree with this.....too many have let their license go but kept the same ratios and parents think they are still licensed.
                            That happens a lot around here; I have run into 3 this year alone, meanwhile I stick to the legal limit of 4 (I only have 1 at this time) and charge slightly more & I can't get kids because the illegals are undercharging everyone around.

Comment

I'd just print out a copy on paper watermarked with either "void" or "copy" across the face. Here, all information on my license is available online anyway, so there's really no issue of privacy (I gave up any hope of privacy long ago :.

Comment

Working...
                              X