No announcement yet.

Don’t Want to Enroll Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an opening at the end of January and did a phone interview with a family. We ended up setting a time for an actual interview but after I hung up the phone I had a horrible feeling about them. The mom seemed like she was a helicopter mom and that she was going to think she ran the show. I ended up calling and telling her that the spot was no longer available and cancelling the interview. I have no more specifics. For all they know to this day is the child that was going to leave didn’t. I didn’t elaborate. I ended up keeping the spot open until April. I am very choosy about who enrolls here and unlike most on here I prefer to work only with family and friends or at the very least someone that knows someone that I know than complete strangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bddy View Post
      I guess I’m worried about - What if they want to enroll On the spot? I just have a feeling this Mom is sorta slapdash like that - she’s aways harried, just a bit less than polite, and loud on the phone. From my friend I know they are in a childcare bind, my rates are reasonable, I think my friend has said good things about me and so I’m worried she’ll be like “ok let’s do it!” Like want to sign the papers right away?
      I have a hard time with people who have this moms personality .... something I’m working on but I don’t always think well on my feet...
      I don’t want to offend her basically.
      I’d go with “I still have a few families to interview before I make a decision. I’ll let you know by XX date.”

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bddy View Post
          I guess I’m worried about - What if they want to enroll On the spot? I just have a feeling this Mom is sorta slapdash like that - she’s aways harried, just a bit less than polite, and loud on the phone. From my friend I know they are in a childcare bind, my rates are reasonable, I think my friend has said good things about me and so I’m worried she’ll be like “ok let’s do it!” Like want to sign the papers right away?
          I have a hard time with people who have this moms personality .... something I’m working on but I don’t always think well on my feet...
          I don’t want to offend her basically.
          I never, ever accept on the spot...even if the family appears absolutely perfect. because maybe...just maybe...something even better is in the wings. Or maybe the golden family suddenly start asking for extras and special.

Too many parents go into family daycare thinking they are hiring you, and that they call the shots. Telling them you are still interviewing and that YOU will make a decision...sends a strong message that this is YOUR home and business and YOU get to decide who attends.

It works every time and you get to politely turn down the family from hell without a tantrum!!

The family you DO choose, knows you have options and are more likely to behave.

Comment

Good point ....I’m trying to develop that type mentality.

Comment

Working...
            X