Tie Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Shoes

Do you allow laces? Dcp brought child who is 2 with new shoes for summer, he says "unfortunately you have to tie them"
    I know that wasnt their only option, so why would they think i want to tie and untie their childs shoes every time! Im trying to teach independence. How do I go about explaining nicely that she needs to come in shoes that she can put on and off herself that dont require you to tie? Its too time consuming if I had all 7 kids that needed their shoes tied.

There are some providers who prefer tie shoes and some who prefer velcro.

I prefer velcro or shoes they can manage themselves. If they CAN tie shoes themselves, I will allow it.

If you don't have a written policy to point them to, then I would say: "Jane, the shoes Joey has for outdoor play won't work here. I need safe, sturdy shoes that are easy for the children to manage themselves. Self help skills are a necessity for group care and it gives them the confidence to try new skills. Thanks for understanding."

Comment

Originally posted by MomBoss View Post
      Do you allow laces? Dcp brought child who is 2 with new shoes for summer, he says "unfortunately you have to tie them"
      I know that wasnt their only option, so why would they think i want to tie and untie their childs shoes every time! Im trying to teach independence. How do I go about explaining nicely that she needs to come in shoes that she can put on and off herself that dont require you to tie? Its too time consuming if I had all 7 kids that needed their shoes tied.
      I am one of those providers that Snowmom mentioned.

I require shoes with laces and do not allow shoes that just slip on or those with Velcro, open toes or Crocs.

Well fitting athletic shoes that tie. ONLY.

I have an "assembly line" type process that is used to get ready to go outside both in the winter and summer months.

Tying shoes for 10+ children takes only a few minutes.

Several of my 3 yr olds and all my 4 yr olds can tie their own shoes.

I have yet to have a child head off to kindergarten without being able to tie their own shoes.

More threads about shoes

Comment

Obviously he new they were the wrong choice.Iwould instate a new policy effective immediately. Iwould say you have one week to purchase Velcro shoes.Even a less expensive pair would be fine.Not fair when you care for so many.

Comment

For 2 year olds I prefer velcro. That way they can start at least learning how to do that for themselves. I do tie shoes at about 4. Too many times I've had kids come with tie shoes and the parents double knot them so tight so they don't come undone that I cant' get them untied. Frustrating.

Comment

All the children i have (7) are 3 and under. So it already takes awhile to get ready for outside since most dont know how to put on their own shoes or jacket. It would just make my life easier if i wasnt spending so much time getting them ready for outside.

Comment

All the children i have (7) are 3 and under. So it already takes awhile to get ready for outside since most dont know how to put on their own shoes or jacket. It would just make my life easier if i wasnt spending so much time getting them ready for outside.
              For some provider's it's about making their life easier.

For some providers it's about teaching the kids/long term outcomes and goals.

Neither is right or wrong. It's what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                For some provider's it's about making their life easier.

For some providers it's about teaching the kids/long term outcomes and goals.

Neither is right or wrong. It's what works for you.
                Lol i guess im also speaking in terms of being 9 months pregnant and having a hard time bending/moving as im in so much pain! When we still had snow i dreaded getting them ready for outside. Nobody can put their own suits/boots/jackets on and i was just about dead by the time we got outside.

Comment

Not that this is an expert opinion, but I found this on parents.com. I say do what works for you. Are the parents teaching them how to tie shoes at home also? Because, imo, like toilet training, it has to be consistent.
                  This refers to the development of fine motor skills.

Comment

Lol i guess im also speaking in terms of being 9 months pregnant and having a hard time bending/moving as im in so much pain! When we still had snow i dreaded getting them ready for outside. Nobody can put their own suits/boots/jackets on and i was just about dead by the time we got outside.
                    Oh shoot, being 9 months pregnant on top of it? You poor thing!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
                      Oh shoot, being 9 months pregnant on top of it? You poor thing!
                      I regret working til my due date. I didnt think it would be this hard or that i would be carrying so low with a huge baby. They are predicting 9lbs.
                      If the child is ready to learn how to tie shoes, its one thing, but a newly 2 yr old who barely knows how to put their shoes on is not ready to learn how to tie. I also have a group of parents that dont teach their kids self help and do everything for them.

Comment

Interesting info

Parents who avoid teaching children how to tie shoelaces are hindering their development according to this:

Awesome site by the shoe lace guy!
                        If you want to lace shoes, tie shoes or learn about shoelaces, “Ian's Shoelace Site” is the place!

Like anything and everything now days, kids seem to master skills at a much later age than previous generations.

Riding a bike, dressing/undressing, toilet use, tying shoes, writing, reading, using utensils/open cups etc.... everything seems to be taught later and later and skills we, ourselves knew prior to Kindergarten, are now acceptable to be left to the wayside and introduced somewhere in the early public school years verses at home.

@MomBoss....being pregnant though, especially this far along......gives you a pass for alot of things! ::

Comment

In my current group the only child that had tie shoes is the 12 month old. She can not put her own shoes on and I always have to help her, so it is no big deal to have to tie her shoes as I put them on.

My others though and between 18mo and 2yr. We are really working on self help and independence here, and having shoes that they can put on and do up themselves is important. Once they figure out that they are able to slip their feet into those shoes and do up the Velcro it is so exciting. They clap and cheer for one another, and I have found that once they master putting their own shoes on, they are wanting to try putting their own coats on, or to zip them themselves. One mastered skill is definitely needed as a solid base to build on within my group.

Comment

I regret working til my due date. I didnt think it would be this hard or that i would be carrying so low with a huge baby. They are predicting 9lbs.
                            If the child is ready to learn how to tie shoes, its one thing, but a newly 2 yr old who barely knows how to put their shoes on is not ready to learn how to tie. I also have a group of parents that dont teach their kids self help and do everything for them.
                            Exactly! I refuse to do things like that unless a parent is doing it too. It is self-defeating to teach them something like that if at home the parent doesn't even allow them to put their own shoes on let alone tie them. I view it the same as toilet training. I do not toilet train unless they're doing it at home too.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss A View Post
                              In my current group the only child that had tie shoes is the 12 month old. She can not put her own shoes on and I always have to help her, so it is no big deal to have to tie her shoes as I put them on.

My others though and between 18mo and 2yr. We are really working on self help and independence here, and having shoes that they can put on and do up themselves is important. Once they figure out that they are able to slip their feet into those shoes and do up the Velcro it is so exciting. They clap and cheer for one another, and I have found that once they master putting their own shoes on, they are wanting to try putting their own coats on, or to zip them themselves. One mastered skill is definitely needed as a solid base to build on within my group.
                              That is how I do it too. It's worked well for 17 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X