Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Flags?

Hello,
    I just got an inquiry about an opening. I asked her if she had any questions and she wrote me back.

1st question- Could I extend pickup time 15minutes
    Following questions- Are we "certified", How long have we been working with kids, has there been any reports against us (said she was going to look anyway, just wanted to see what I'd say...)
    She then asked a couple other questions that I have no idea what they were because of typos.
    She said this was going to be hard for her because she's used to watching her daughter "all day everyday"

Do any of these seem like red flags to you?
    First off, asking us to change hour hours right off the bat seems weird. I've done this job too long without a backbone and it seems like I'm asking for trouble to take someone that wants times changed right away. (also, we are a preschool not a daycare) Many of the questions she asked are on our website, so I assume she didn't actually look at it. And the "I'm going to look anyway" almost seems like she's trying to catch me in a lie? Trust me, nothing to lie about here!

Trust your gut instincts.

Here are some other threads on Red Flags: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=red+flags

Comment

One word...............RUN!!!!

Comment

I would say no way. Sounds like trouble waiting to happen to me.

Comment

The second a parent asks you to bend, break of waive a policy just for them, I stop.

Nope, just nope.

It bothers me that parents feel comfortable asking a complete stranger to basically do a "favor" for them before even considering to ask a friend/family member or neighbor first.

Comment

Yay I'm not crazy!
            I am going to write her back, see if I can get a better view of things?
            Now to figure out what to write her...
            Should I address each question? Should I send my handbook and leave it at that?

Comment

How's this sound?

Hello again! I have attached our handbook that will hopefully answer most of your questions, along with our website. If something isn't covered please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Pandaluver21 View Post
                Yay I'm not crazy!
                I am going to write her back, see if I can get a better view of things?
                Now to figure out what to write her...
                Should I address each question? Should I send my handbook and leave it at that?
                Personally, I would send her your policy book and add a statement to the effect of "I am sure most your questions can be answered via my handbook. Please understand that my policies are non-negotiable. If you have any questions that are not answered by reading my handbook, please feel free to call, text or e-mail me. Thank you for your interest in ABC Child Care, I look forward to hearing back from you."

Nice, friendly and says what you need it to say.

If she replies with "I know your policies say XYZ, but I am wondering if PQR is possible?" either reply back with "My policies are non-negotiable" or don't reply at all. ! Rinse and repeat.

If she persists, just let her know that per your conversations you don't think your program can meet her needs. Thank her for her interest and don't reply again. ::

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  Personally, I would send her your policy book and add a statement to the effect of "I am sure most your questions can be answered via my handbook. Please understand that my policies are non-negotiable. If you have any questions that are not answered by reading my handbook, please feel free to call, text or e-mail me. Thank you for your interest in ABC Child Care, I look forward to hearing back from you."

If she replies with "I know your policies say XYZ, but I am wondering if PQR is possible?" either reply back with "My policies are non-negotiable" or don't reply at all. ! Rinse and repeat.

If she persists, just let her know that per your conversations you don't think your program can meet her needs. Thank her for her interest and don't reply again. ::
                  This. Everything this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

This! Do this!

Comment

How's this sound?

Hello again! I have attached our handbook that will hopefully answer most of your questions, along with our website. If something isn't covered please let me know
                      I messaged her back with the statement above. She has not written back yet. She had also called us, and e-mailed us. Her e-mail said "we’re looking for full days m-f when I get a job however for the time being we want her to go to your pre school." :confused:

Comment

Nope- sounds like that's a bunch of stuff for before you've even met. I smell drama queen approaching. Say thanks but no thanks.

If you do decide to go ahead with them do what BC says and stress that policies will be followed. If they start pushing them term.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
                          Nope- sounds like that's a bunch of stuff for before you've even met. I smell drama queen approaching. Say thanks but no thanks.

If you do decide to go ahead with them do what BC says and stress that policies will be followed. If they start pushing them term.
                          I would tell her they wouldn't be a good fit. Something sounds off for sure.

Comment

Wrote back today and asked to "come take a look" Not sure what to say...
                            I feel like I should at least meet her in person? But the other side of me wants to RUN from the crazy lady!

I am currently fighting both influenza A and B, and don't want to do any walkthrough's until next week anyway...

Comment

Wrote back today and asked to "come take a look" Not sure what to say...
                              I feel like I should at least meet her in person? But the other side of me wants to RUN from the crazy lady!

I am currently fighting both influenza A and B, and don't want to do any walkthrough's until next week anyway...
                              Sometimes those family's do turn out to be good clients.
                              I believe because I was able to set the record straight from the get go.... being able to lay out the rules and let her know that you expect full cooperation for all your policies might just be a message she needs to hear...

Maybe her previous provider was super lax or her bff's provider was etc...who knows where people get their ideas of what daycare is/isn't from... I just know that it helps to lay out the rules clearly and concisely and then enforce them 100% and you really have no reason to doubt that a parent isn't capable of following them...kwim?

I'd set up an interview, discuss your policies with her and feel it out...if she hints at or gives you any reason to think she isn't "getting it" and will more than likely be a boundary pusher, send her a "sorry, I can't meet your needs and wont be enrolling your family but thank you for your interest" e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X