No announcement yet.

Grow NJ Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know, the infants (6mts and up) seem to enjoy playing in paint. My 2 year olds love painting, doing bingo dabbers and squirt bottle art. They enjoy it, half the time the parents don't know what it is! With infants, we do alot of "squish" art. We put the art supply (paint, pudding, shaving cream, wet jello) in a bag and they can squish away. my 2 year olds really like playing with crayons, markers, and chalk on paper. Guess it depends on the kid

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
      Narrate your day. It makes such a huge difference.

It is not as appreciated when you can't stop for the first half of the weekend, though. Just saying.
      LOLO I love it especially when "I have to go potty" slips out before you can stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
        I think we should have laws requiring parents to do Art and Sensory activities with their children daily.
        OMG, I was talking with a dcm about the deranged parents who chained their 13 kids. We both highly agreed that before parents become parents they should be held to the same rules and expectations that childcare providers do.

Comment

Originally posted by nanglgrl View Post
          You’re speaking my language. I actually had to start telling potential clients “please don’t expect your child to bring things home that you will want to show off or hang on the fridge. On the rare occasion that they paint they will most likely mix all the colors and put too much paint on the paper and you will get a paper with holes in it covered in brownish paint. The only art activities children do here are ones they can do themselves”.
          YES or they'll swab the brush across the paper once and call it good. Really? I set this all up for that? How did you get more on yourself than on your paper?

Comment

I do daily art with all ages. I do infant art. It is what you do when you are required to.

They used to love painting with pudding, colored whipped cream, popsicles or jello but that is no longer "best practice". Too confusing for infants. You know, the ones who try to eat all art supplies unless restrained.
            According to our "best practice" policies/rules....using food as anything but food is considered disrespectful. It's shows disrespect to those that may not have enough food in their homes when we use it as an art supply.

Narrate your day. It makes such a huge difference.
            This is the VERY first thing anyone will tell a new parent.
            It's the ONLY thing that hasn't changed or been removed or modified as far as child rearing or parenting advice goes.

"Talk to your baby" While feeding, changing, rocking, carrying, playing with etc.... Everything you do and say is input for them.... sensory.... eyes, ears, touch, taste, smell.....

One of the example lesson plans for sensory processing for infants according to my state's QRIS program is "belly time in front of a mirror" It meets social emotional needs as well as sensory.

Comment

"According to our "best practice" policies/rules....using food as anything but food is considered disrespectful. It's shows disrespect to those that may not have enough food in their homes when we use it as an art supply. "

That is interesting, our training never even mentioned that line of reasoning. If my client did not have enough food in the house, I'd find a resource to solve that. I have been really lucky (or relentless, depends on your POV), so far, that way.

I did it as a throwback, it was simply what I had always witnessed being done. :: I liked it because I was able to let them do it without having to restrain/redirect them a million times. Truly "free" art. Infant "art" was easily accomplished after snack, while still in a high chair. Pudding mix, whipped cream, and jello mix barely qualify as food anyway. :: I stopped using it and have replaced it with color diffusing paper and watercolor pads/blotters/droppers. http://roylco.com/shop/r15214-super-...v=7516fd43adaa

"One of the example lesson plans for sensory processing for infants according to my state's QRIS program is "belly time in front of a mirror" It meets social emotional needs as well as sensory."

Mine, too. It is something I have in each individual infant playspace. They love it.
              - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thinking more, that begs the question of why they still want us to use rice in sensory bins. :confused:
                - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thinking more, that begs the question of why they still want us to use rice in sensory bins. :confused:
                  I don't know. I use cornmeal since it doesn't resemble food to children.

But that may be a way to use up the huge bag of white rice we'll never eat.

Comment

Originally posted by flying_babyb View Post
                    I dont know, the infants (6mts and up) seem to enjoy playing in paint. My 2 year olds love painting, doing bingo dabbers and squirt bottle art. They enjoy it, half the time the parents don't know what it is! With infants, we do alot of "squish" art. We put the art supply (paint, pudding, shaving cream, wet jello) in a bag and they can squish away. my 2 year olds really like playing with crayons, markers, and chalk on paper. Guess it depends on the kid
                    We do all kinds of arts and crafts for ages 1 on up. Today we made penguins. It was not a huge deal for me to take time cutting for my 2 year old. The one on one time was nice.

I think everyone needs to decide what is best for them and their program. I love the interaction and to see where they glue the eyes and beaks.

Some want to pass out the stuff for crafts and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Georgiads View Post
                      Its just busy work for the adult.
                      yes it is.
                      It also is a main reason why parents and daycare providers don't do art with infants.

Comment

Originally posted by LostMyMarbles View Post
                        We do all kinds of arts and crafts for ages 1 on up. Today we made penguins. It was not a huge deal for me to take time cutting for my 2 year old. The one on one time was nice.

I think everyone needs to decide what is best for them and their program. I love the interaction and to see where they glue the eyes and beaks.

Some want to pass out the stuff for crafts and walk away.
                        I love when the beak is on the feet, the eyes on the bottom, one eye on a toe.... Had a coworker who told the kds where they had to put stuff. I hated that! You know what? I havent done a good glue it project lately. May tear up some green paper for them to glue on there dinosaurs tomorrow instead of using the bingo dabbers (so much less messy too!)

Comment

Originally posted by flying_babyb View Post
                          I love when the beak is on the feet, the eyes on the bottom, one eye on a toe.... Had a coworker who told the kds where they had to put stuff. I hated that! You know what? I havent done a good glue it project lately. May tear up some green paper for them to glue on there dinosaurs tomorrow instead of using the bingo dabbers (so much less messy too!)
                          Before to do any art it is necessary to get kids ready.
                          If it is some bird art the teacher should give to kids some toy-bird. The kids touch toy, teacher introduce them bird's body parts, name them, point them where are birds eyes, beak, tail.... and only after that kids start "making" a bird art. Yes, I will stop a child which put a bird's eye on the wrong place by asking some questions and showing where eyes are on the toy. I will not point on the right place where a kid should glue it. I will encourage him to find the right place. It is how they learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X