Shoes That Are Too Small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
    We are all so different. :: I don't allow shoes with laces for kids who can't tie their own shoes. I love crocs for summer/water play. I prefer velcro sneakers. I do not allow open toe shoes year round. If they don't fit, I send them home in loaners with their other pair in a bag for replacement.
    Ditto! I hate tying shoes - if they come in with tie shoes on the shoes stay on all day, or they stay off until pick up time.

I don't even try to put too-small shoes on. They stay off until pick up time - Mom or Dad can deal with them.

Same thing with overalls, too tight pants, etc. I change the child into their extra clothes in the morning, then change them back before pick up. I have too many children to care for to spend extra time on one child's clothing/shoes.

Comment

Sooooooo over the too-small shoes!

I've had too small shoes for years with more children than have properly fitting shoes! I started my home day care in 1992 and I've always had at least one kid with shoes that didn't fit. I had 1 boy several years ago when he was 6 or 7 and he had to get his sneakers on because there was nooooo way for me to do it! They were impossibly tight and I couldn't believe he could even stand in them!

I'm sure the problem is that no one gets their kid's feet measured any more; most go to those serve yourself shoe stores and they think if the shoe and the foot are the same size that works. But it does not. Shoes should be about an inch past the child's foot and be easy to get on. I can't imagine how uncomfortable a lot of kids are.
      sigpicMarilynn

Comment

What ever happened to the concept of "growing room"?

I'm not a fan of shoes that tie; there are a couple of years there where kids have the motor control to put on a shoe, but not to tie it. I fervently believe that laces are obsolete technology; they were, after all, around for millennia before the advent of elastic and hook-and-loop closures. They may be classic and hold a position of perceived dignity, but I think they're only still standard for aesthetic popularity. They are not functional compared to newer methods.

Also, my husband has a lot of difficulty tying his shoes and can't manage his time, so I resent laces for their part in making me run late for everything. I bought him monk strap shoes for Christmas and I think we're going to gradually replace his work shoes with that style.

Comment

My kids don't grow fast enough to buy things that are too big, with growing room. My 31lb almost 6 year old has been in size 8 shoes for over a year. I took him shopping for school shoes and tried on a 9 and they were still WAY TOO BIG.

Clothing and shoes can be very inconsistent. We all do our best. To my things harder, my little guy wears school uniforms, and being school aged but the size of a 3 year old is TOUGH!

My 2 year old won't let shoes near is feet that aren't chuck taylors. Honestly, they are by far not the easiest shoes to take on and off even though they fit him well. I don't know what his deal is or if he's just protesting his independence (likely) - but to me it's not worth the fight. Daycare doesn't remove shoes as part of the everyday, so if they have to put them back on him it is a rare occasion.

Comment

Working...
          X