Open Top Cup Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Top Cup Advice

I always use open top cups. I transition during non meal times with sips of water, and once kids get it, I start at meals so that they can pour their own milk/water from a pitcher.

One child, 20 months, just DOES NOT get it. She does other things, like feeds herself with utensils with minimal spillage, and can scoop/pour water with accuracy in the water table.

BUT, more than a tablespoon of liquid in a cup? It's all over her. She follows directions- holds it with two hands, tips slowly, etc. Then just spits it all out like she's choking.

She is fine drinking on sippy cups, I don't buy non spill, so the flow is fast/just pours out and she sucks as well so I know she SWALLOWS liquids just fine.

It's been offered for nearly two months full time.

HELP! Sippy cups drive me crazy and she's the only one using one!

Cup with handles but no lid? I’m drawing a blank.

Comment

Not sure but this was what came to my mind right away: With a sippy cup, even if the flow is fast, her mouth is likely in a different position (lips pursed around the spout) than when drinking from an open cup (lips parted and mouth open) . I wonder if when she tilts back the open top cup if she's breathing too much while trying to drink and swallow. If she can drink from an open cup using a straw then this may be what the issue is. Too much swallowing of air/trying to breath and drink at the same time. She may just not be ready.

Comment

I have a few kids right now who just aren't getting it
        Every day they spill. Huge mess. They are 2 and 3. It's ridiculous, but at home they all get sippies. No advice, just empathy.

Comment

It might be a sensory thing - she can deal with the slow flow of a sippy cup but doesn't like the feel of liquid flooding her mouth.

I say that because I am like that. Most open-cup drinks I don't finish because I can't stand the sensation of cold liquid hitting the roof of my mouth. Straws, cans, Tervis...I'm fine with.

Anybody who knows me knows sparkling water is the way to my heart - water in a can

Comment

Originally posted by Hunni Bee View Post
            It might be a sensory thing - she can deal with the slow flow of a sippy cup but doesn't like the feel of liquid flooding her mouth.

I say that because I am like that. Most open-cup drinks I don't finish because I can't stand the sensation of cold liquid hitting the roof of my mouth. Straws, cans, Tervis...I'm fine with.

Anybody who knows me knows sparkling water is the way to my heart - water in a can
            Funny you mention that; I don't like liquids in a glass or cup, either. I also don't like cold liquids and drink all my liquids warm. Water, soda, everything is warm. I can't even imagine putting ice in my drinks.

I drink out of bottles or I have reusable cups with a top and/or straw.

Comment

I drink everything out of a straw . It must be a sensory thing for me too.

Comment

I make the transition exactly like you do and every one in a while I get a kid like that.... I take the toss and take cups and I "punch" out the top of the spout on the lid so it's wide open but still a spout...it will just pour out if tipped over.

It does take a bit of "adjusting" (I use an emory board and if needed sand paper...!) so the edit I make isn't sharp enough to harm.

It seems to help a lot. Once they can manage more liquid without spilling or letting it just pour all over too fast I actually start shorting the spout and continue doing so until it's pretty much gone all together. I have to toss the lid as it's not fixable but these are take and toss cups anyways so...

It seems to be a better in-between step then just reverting back to a sippy because like you I have this weird adversion to sippy cups all together.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                  Funny you mention that; I don't like liquids in a glass or cup, either. I also don't like cold liquids and drink all my liquids warm. Water, soda, everything is warm. I can't even imagine putting ice in my drinks.

I drink out of bottles or I have reusable cups with a top and/or straw.
                  I don't like ice either.
                  Water...room temp.

I like my coffee hot though!

I don't like straws... I saw too many commercials that keep saying your face (mouth area) will look like smoker later in life due to the all lip pursing done.. ::

Truth or not, I don't know but I rarely use a straw.

Comment

Her sippy cup is wide open, I actually drill a large hole through them (like bc suggested) and she's fine. Maybe the mouth shape thing is right, I'll try a straw, but I don't want to mess with that every day either.

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                    I make the transition exactly like you do and every one in a while I get a kid like that.... I take the toss and take cups and I "punch" out the top of the spout on the lid so it's wide open but still a spout...it will just pour out if tipped over.

It does take a bit of "adjusting" (I use an emory board and if needed sand paper...!) so the edit I make isn't sharp enough to harm.

It seems to help a lot. Once they can manage more liquid without spilling or letting it just pour all over too fast I actually start shorting the spout and continue doing so until it's pretty much gone all together. I have to toss the lid as it's not fixable but these are take and toss cups anyways so...

It seems to be a better in-between step then just reverting back to a sippy because like you I have this weird adversion to sippy cups all together.
                    Great idea to cut the mouth part down! Dh suggested making a semi circle on the side of a take and toss lid (for snacks, no hole) and gradually making that larger. I'll try your idea first, I actually keep/use the snack lids for the take and toss and her sippy top already has a huge hole in it.

Today I put a TINY amount in it and she did alright. Easily a teaspoon or less. I can't spoon her drinks all day though.

I loathe sippy cups. I think kids are crazy dependent on them now. Dragging them everywhere, yuck. Ds had a friend over who was 10 and asked me for a LID on his drink. I was so confused. I said "It's a glass, they don't come with lids." :confused: I mean, my own kids are 10 and up, I haven't had a sippy cup aside from young, new daycare kids in my kitchen for over 8 years.

Comment

360 sippy cup

I've had great luck with these:

They get the kids used to the shape of an open cup, but still won't spill everywhere.

http://www.target.com/p/philips-aven...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                      Last edited by homeishere; 10-25-2017, 09:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I had a 2.5 year old like this. No idea why he could not grasp the concept!!

Comment

We do open cups at the table and 360 cups the rest of the time. They greatly improved ones we got the 360 cups.

I also don't drink from an open cup. 99% of the time i drink from a spouted water bottle. I hate cups

Comment

I just ordered a 360 cup from Amazon to try.

She's doing awful on the cut out side idea.

She's doing awful with the sippy cup mouth part cut down.

She's doing awful with a straw. :confused:

A regular sippy cup top seems to be the only thing she 'gets',

I understand the preference for certain cups. I'm partial to glass, and really love straws myself. My concern is the ability in general, I already have speech and motor skill concerns.

Comment

Working...
                            X