I Guess I Don't Get It....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Guess I Don't Get It....

If you could save 50 bucks, wouldn't you try to??
    Dcd's week to pay and he always pays late. He still owes $10 from his last week and already informed me he's so busy at work; he'll drop off the check on Friday so I informed him to add another 40 bucks + the 10 from 2 weeks ago plus the regular rate. He said ok. :confused: Maybe money doesn't mean anything to him?

My sister and her husband are the same way. When it comes to money vs time or their schedule, toss the money. I wish I could afford to do that. ::
    Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
    They are also our future.

Comment

I saw someone post on here a few weeks ago when it came to late fees “do you want to earn extra money or do you want the behavior to stop?” And to change your policies accordingly. If you are okay with the extra money, that’s great. If you want the behavior to stop, up your late fees to the point where they would be hurting.

Some people just don’t care. I personally would feel embarrassed getting charged a late fee. I’m also the type that is annoyingly on time with payments. If I use credit, I pay it off a few days later. I forgot to pay my credit card one month a year or two ago and got charged a late fee, I’m still not over that $25 wasted.

I don’t currently charge a late fee for late payments. But I might write it in to future contracts. I have 5 families (6 kids). I think I’ve allowed them all (except my newest family) to pay late once or twice a piece. It has never been because they couldn’t afford it or forgot it instead in the case where their child ended up being unexpectedly out sick on a pay day and rather than having them make an unnessessary trip to my house I just told them to stay home with their kids and get them healthy and pay on Monday.

Comment

Storybookending, to be honest this is the 1st time that I can ever remember charging for late payments also. And it's only because the guy is a deadbeat dad and I'm afraid if I let him slip up now and then, he is definitely one to take full advantage of the situation and/or leave it up to the dcb's mom, who's scared she'll lose her son's place here. I've let lots of people pay late, I really don't mind. Because they're remorseful and really things do come up.But this guy does not care.

Comment

This is why I have a “three strikes you’re out” clause. Some people are not motivated by money!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
            Storybookending, to be honest this is the 1st time that I can ever remember charging for late payments also. And it's only because the guy is a deadbeat dad and I'm afraid if I let him slip up now and then, he is definitely one to take full advantage of the situation and/or leave it up to the dcb's mom, who's scared she'll lose her son's place here. I've let lots of people pay late, I really don't mind. Because they're remorseful and really things do come up.But this guy does not care.
            I think to do this job you just have to have a good read on people. If I were in your situation with a dad such as that I would probably charge the late fee as you did. It’s not life or death for me if one family doesn’t pay on payday from time to time (I charge weekly) but you have to know which ones won’t take advantage and make it a habit.

Comment

I think this particular dad's late fee's aren't enough. Double his daily late fee and see what happens or don't let him pay late. If he pays late don't let him drop off the child when it's his turn to drop off. Don't inconvenience mom if they're each taking care of their own share of daycare costs but turn dad away if he tries to drop DKC off and he still owes money.

Tell mom first though so she doesn't cave and rescue dad by paying his fees. Maybe he needs to be late to work or miss a day of work to "get it". But then again he may pull his kid on his time and you may only get him half the time (mom's time). I don't know how their custody is worked out.

Comment

I've read some people's policies before that say one sole parent is responsible for payment. If they take turns paying than it is the responsibility of one parent to get it to the other to get it to you. You should not have to worry about this. The parents together need to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Diddle View Post
                  I've read some people's policies before that say one sole parent is responsible for payment. If they take turns paying than it is the responsibility of one parent to get it to the other to get it to you. You should not have to worry about this. The parents together need to make it work
                  That's not a bad idea, especially in cases like this.
                  I'd refuse to let dcd drop off but he doesn't do any of that. He basically hasn't seen his dcd in the past month. I'm beginning to hate this dcd and I don't usually say that about a lot of people. But seeing him neglect his own son while promising him the world, and only think of himself....and that's one of the reasons I'm going after the late fees with him. Heck, if he continues paying me on Fridays instead of Mondays, every other week, then I'm making more money.

Comment

I agree with Lil_Diddle. This is a family issue not yours.

I'd have DCM be the sole contact person and payer for daycare. This is HER deadbeat ex. This is HER issue to figure out. It's THEIR child and they will need to figure out a way to co-parent for many years to come so why not start now?

As for dad and late fees...if he's a deadbeat now, it's more than likely not really about the money and more about not being able to take personal responsibility. period.

Some people simply don't know how or where to start or how to stick with habits most adults have. Being on time, paying bills, planning ahead. Being an adult is tough and often times it all goes back to how they themselves were raised.

Look at any of the coddled kids we have in daycare..... ANY of them could grow up and be the same type. No personal responsibility, no idea or awareness of the fact that there are others in the world besides them, no accountability etc.. See?

It's not always about the money. Having it or not having it. Sometimes it just about accountability and personal responsibility.

Not everyone is taught that, learns it or even knows what it is. We see it at it's root every single day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Diddle View Post
                      That is how I do it, but I don't offer part -time services.

It gets trickier with the newish 50/50 custody arrangements and I am not sure we will be able to continue that way for QRIS.

If each parent contracted separately, each taking a part-time slot, we are being required to bill and conference separately as you would two different families.

Josie, this couple was never married, right? For some reason, that was what I remembered as the reason they were billed separately?
                      - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X