Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policies For Drop-Ins

Hi all,

As many of you know, I run a preschool 3 hours/day out of my home. Financially it's okay, but I really need to be making more money, so I'd like to add in some drop-in children and/or one full-timer.

My question is, what are your policies for drop-ins, specifically:

Do they have to contact you by a certain time in order to have a spot?

What if they reserve you and then the child is sick, do they still pay (my regular parents do)?

How much do you charge for drop-in...do you charge extra because it is drop in?

Anything else I need to be thinking of?

Any help you can give me with this would be great. Thanks!!

Just say no!!!!

Ok, I assume you know how disruptive it is and how much you are going to want to run screaming through the streets...

So:

I used to allow the folks from my waiting list to call on the Friday before the week to see if I had space for occasional drop-ins. They already had their paperwork on file and I just charged them my daily rate, plus $10.

I also would send out little preemptive emails letting them know when I would have room, usually from someone that scheduled vacation.
    - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
      Just say no!!!!

Ok, I assume you know how disruptive it is and how much you are going to want to run screaming through the streets...

So:

I used to allow the folks from my waiting list to call on the Friday before the week to see if I had space for occasional drop-ins. They already had their paperwork on file and I just charged them my daily rate, plus $10.

I also would send out little preemptive emails letting them know when I would have room, usually from someone that scheduled vacation.
      I know, I know . I have read all the threads about drop-ins, but I need more money and at least if I did drop-ins I would still have some days where it was just me and my daughter in the afternoons. If I did a full-timer then I would feel like I had no freedom. Plus, most of my drop-ins would come from my playgroup and I already know those kiddos and their parents.

Comment

NO drop ins.

I wouldn't do it. It's SO hard.
        http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by kendallina View Post
          I know, I know . I have read all the threads about drop-ins, but I need more money and at least if I did drop-ins I would still have some days where it was just me and my daughter in the afternoons. If I did a full-timer then I would feel like I had no freedom. Plus, most of my drop-ins would come from my playgroup and I already know those kiddos and their parents.
          Got a nice phone voice, I hear s...e...x...y... singles are wanting to talk to ya....:::: Just teasing...

Eh, I know it can be difficult. I do wish you the best of luck. It can't hurt to try....we all have different likes/needs and you may not be as type A as I am... I NEED my structure, routine and peaceful little world...
          Last edited by Cat Herder; 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM. Reason: seriously????? s...e...x...y.... is a bad word??
          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

I don't do drop ins anymore.....
            Way too much work.

When I did I charged minimum wage for the day...not hourly.
            At the time it worked out to about twice what I was charging for a full-time full day client. I had a regular drop in family. The mom would give me her monthly schedule for my approval and if she didn't show she still had to pay.

I hate drop ins. WAY TOO MUCH WORK!!

Comment

i've never had a drop in...what's so bad about it?? I was thinking of taking drop ins and now y'all have scared me!

Comment

Originally posted by kendallina View Post
                Don't do it. Don't go to the dark side. Stay here with us......... You are safe with us..........
                http://www.amazon.com/Daycare-Whispe...=doing+daycare

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                  Don't do it. Don't go to the dark side. Stay here with us......... You are safe with us..........
                  As helpful as it is that you tell me not to do it, that doesn't turn into a paycheck for me . At least tell me what's so awful about it. And, keep in mind that I don't have any other children besides my own DD in the afternoons or on Fridays, so it's not like I have anything else to do...well, you know what I mean.

Comment

where do I start?!.......
                    1) you know how Mondays after a holiday are often a drag with your regular full timers because the parents ran them ragged? Imagine that every day for drop ins.
                    2) they aren't here often enough to fall into our daily routine.
                    3) they aren't here often enough to learn not to back talk or be sassy.
                    4) they aren't here often enough to know to not stand on the sofa?
                    5) they aren't here often enough to learn that I set the schedule
                    6) they don't nap as well because this isn't their regular place....or maybe their parent doesn't even put them down awake for naps.
                    7) if they are a tiny baby then they don't know me well enough to be comforted by my presence.
                    And on and on and on....
                    I used to due drop ins when I did not have a choice financially but as soon as I could I transitioned to full time only.

OP- I know you run a preschool program...how well do you think that will work with drop ins?

Comment

Originally posted by Live and Learn View Post
                      where do I start?!.......
                      1) you know how Mondays after a holiday are often a drag with your regular full timers because the parents ran them ragged? Imagine that every day for drop ins.
                      2) they aren't here often enough to fall into our daily routine.
                      3) they aren't here often enough to learn not to back talk or be sassy.
                      4) they aren't here often enough to know to not stand on the sofa?
                      5) they aren't here often enough to learn that I set the schedule
                      6) they don't nap as well because this isn't their regular place....or maybe their parent doesn't even put them down awake for naps.
                      7) if they are a tiny baby then they don't know me well enough to be comforted by my presence.
                      And on and on and on....
                      I used to due drop ins when I did not have a choice financially but as soon as I could I transitioned to full time only.

OP- I know you run a preschool program...how well do you think that will work with drop ins?
                      I'd only offer drop-in to preschool agers (well, 2 and up) and only in the afternoons and Fridays when preschoolers aren't here. It would never work when my preschoolers are here as our day is very structured.

Anywhoo...anyone else want to answer the questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Catherder View Post
                        Got a nice phone voice, I hear s...e...x...y... singles are wanting to talk to ya....:::: Just teasing...
                        If the price was right...well, it probably is, but I'm not going there.

Comment

When I opened over 2 years ago I took on 2 drop in families. I charge $7 per hour for one child and $12 an hour for 2. I don't provide food for those children. I let parents shoot m a text the morning of or night before but I only take drop ins on Wed and Fri and they all know this.

Comment

Originally posted by nannyde View Post
                            :::: LOL!!! ::::

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER do drop-ins again! Did I say never, because I mean NEVER EVER!!! It isn't the always the drop-in kid that is the problem, it is the regular everyday kids I have in care already and how they react to the drop-ins sometimes....too much disarray for me. I, like Catherder, adore the routine and calm everyday schedule we have. Add 1 drop-in and I might as well hang out in the bathroom all day with the shower curtain wrapped around me for security.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                              :::: LOL!!! ::::

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER do drop-ins again! Did I say never, because I mean NEVER EVER!!! It isn't the always the drop-in kid that is the problem, it is the regular everyday kids I have in care already and how they react to the drop-ins sometimes....too much disarray for me. I, like Catherder, adore the routine and calm everyday schedule we have. Add 1 drop-in and I might as well hang out in the bathroom all day with the shower curtain wrapped around me for security.
                              ...I can just picture you with the shower curtain wrapped around you while children run amuck (is that how you spell that?).

Bolded part...that's why I think I may be okay with having drops-in, because when they come it would only be me and my daughter. And, her and I are pretty relaxed when it's just us. I think she'd enjoy the company.

Anywhoo...thanks for those who answered my question . Any more?

Comment

Working...
                              X