How To Get Them Stay In Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
    Yep, I was thinking of "centers" as housekeeping area, block area, etc. What you call "centers" I call "planned activity." Tomato, Tomahto, Potato, Potahto....
    :: Yes! Exactly!

I thought it was clear as mud.

Comment

I love the bracelet idea. Are they required to move centers when the timer goes off or can they stay where they're at if they are having fun? I would hate to stop a child if they are really involved in what they are doing, but I could also see popular centers never being available if they don't have to move. I also have a few very "clicky" 5 yr olds and I could see one of them not playing if she is not with her BFF. She would talk her friend into also giving up her bracelet so they could sit in the book corner together until the timer goes off...but I would LOVE to separate them!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I love the bracelet idea. Are they required to move centers when the timer goes off or can they stay where they're at if they are having fun? I would hate to stop a child if they are really involved in what they are doing, but I could also see popular centers never being available if they don't have to move. I also have a few very "clicky" 5 yr olds and I could see one of them not playing if she is not with her BFF. She would talk her friend into also giving up her bracelet so they could sit in the book corner together until the timer goes off...but I would LOVE to separate them!
        I don't require them to move if they don't want to, but I also don't let the same kids go to the same centers every time. Like I had two boys that spent the entire morning in in sensory center this morning, so they won't be able to choose that center again til tomorrow because it only accomodates two kids.

I only have three girls and they are sort of cliquey, and I didn't like that they turned any and all toys into a "mommy and baby" game. What has helped me is that they arrived pretty staggered in the morning so usually one is already in a center that the other two can't fit in. And if one chooses not to play because she can't get into the center with the others (or can't get the pink/purple bracelets) then I let her, but I don't allow her to involve anyone else it. It doesn't last long

ETA: We do free play in the early morning and early evening so its not always this teacher-directed. This is just during centers.

Comment

Working...
        X