No announcement yet.

Getting Firm About Eating Veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, yeah, no, I'm taking about the people who literally only eat animal products. Beef, chicken, milk, eggs, some cheeses, some yogurt, fish, etc. That's the very low carb and zero carb I meant. I can't resist my carbs (meaning fuits and veggies as well as grains), but many people do this and thrive not my style! But they are very healthy... From what I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
      Oh, yeah, no, I'm taking about the people who literally only eat animal products. Beef, chicken, milk, eggs, some cheeses, some yogurt, fish, etc. That's the very low carb and zero carb I meant. I can't resist my carbs (meaning fuits and veggies as well as grains), but many people do this and thrive not my style! But they are very healthy... From what I've read.
      They may seem like they are thriving for now...but in the long run they've increased their risk of heart disease and cancer exponentially.

Comment

we do the one bite rule. We also remind the kids they need to eat what they put on their plate, since they serve themselves at meals.

Comment

Originally posted by flying_babyb View Post
          we do the one bite rule. We also remind the kids they need to eat what they put on their plate, since they serve themselves at meals.
          We do 'serve yourselves' sometimes but not always. What do you do if they refuse to eat what they've taken or if they wanted 2nds which you've given them, then they decide they're not hungry enough to really eat it? I will remind them they wanted it and need to eat it but then you get the stubborn ones who still refuse.

Comment

I serve.
            They eat.
            Or not.

Makes ZERO difference to me.
            In their tummy or in the trash, it's gone either way.

Natural consequences work great (hungry in between)
            Peers are THE best teachers.
            Sit non-veggie eaters next to veggie eaters.
            LOTS of positive praise for veggie eaters.

No hiding anything.
            No thank you bites.
            No having to stay at table.

Every.single.one of my kiddos (12-14 of them) eat veggies daily and LOVE them.

Only a handful of them came to me that way.
            The rest were simply trained.
            (via peer example/social cues, positive praise and natural consequences).

Comment

Originally posted by hwichlaz View Post
              They may seem like they are thriving for now...but in the long run they've increased their risk of heart disease and cancer exponentially.
              There is a lot of research that suggests that fat and protein is not responsible for heart disease and cancer and that sugar is the culprit.

Comment

I echo what many said above. I serve the meal, if they eat it great. If not, that's okay too. There are no seconds until your plate is clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                  There is a lot of research that suggests that fat and protein is not responsible for heart disease and cancer and that sugar is the culprit.
                  I tend to be more trusting of peer-reviewed studies and research by entities like...the Mayo Clinic. There is a lot of proof that high cholesterol is a huge part of the problem. Eating processed food contributes greatly to this. There is, even more, research that plant-based diets prevent cancer and heart disease. Both of these diets cut processed sugars.

Comment

Oh no no no no no. Please do more research on this. That is all.

Comment

I tend to be more trusting of peer-reviewed studies and research by entities like...the Mayo Clinic. There is a lot of proof that high cholesterol is a huge part of the problem. Eating processed food contributes greatly to this. There is, even more, research that plant-based diets prevent cancer and heart disease. Both of these diets cut processed sugars.
                      Part of the issue is that once people have overdosed on processed sugars, their bodies can no longer tell the difference from healthy sugars (carrots, fruit) and processed sugars. But hey, I'm not here to argue To each his own. I can't argue a plant based diet. I was vegan for a loooong time. It didn't make me healthier, or fix my blood test numbers (drawn every 3-6 months for autoimmune diseases and conditions), however...immediate improvements on a keto, very low carb diet.

Comment

Watch a documentary about sugar and you will find that research was manipulated to promote low fat. It wasn't for health reasons. High cholesterol is more a product of processed sugar than saturated fat. I have done lots of research on the topic. For example eating a hamburger which is sugar (bun) plus saturated fat (meat) is the problem. Eating saturated fat alone or with veggies does not increase cholesterol.

Any way you choose to eat that cuts out processed grains and sugar can be healthy in my opinion. I am much healthier now that I am eating meat and my blood work is perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
                          Oh no no no no no. Please do more research on this. That is all.
                          I have, and I have my own blood test results to prove it. A meat based diet gave me high cholesterol.

Doing meat, veggies and fruit...my cholesterol is 120 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                            Watch a documentary about sugar and you will find that research was manipulated to promote low fat. It wasn't for health reasons. High cholesterol is more a product of processed sugar than saturated fat. I have done lots of research on the topic. For example eating a hamburger which is sugar (bun) plus saturated fat (meat) is the problem. Eating saturated fat alone or with veggies does not increase cholesterol.

Any way you choose to eat that cuts out processed grains and sugar can be healthy in my opinion. I am much healthier now that I am eating meat and my blood work is perfect.
                            Processed foods and sugar = :dislike:

Comment

I have, and I have my own blood test results to prove it. A meat based diet gave me high cholesterol.

Doing meat, veggies and fruit...my cholesterol is 120 again.
                              Nice! happyface I don't think our diets are that different? I eat meat and veggies at every meal, I just limit veggies to non-starchy, high fiber ones. Fruit is really occasional for me. Like a treat.

Comment

Part of my problem has been that I've been very generous with seconds (and thirds) on the sandwiches and cheerios etc even for kids who won't eat vegies. I'm going to get more firm and only give the food program minimum on sandwiches unless they eat their vegies. The main family in question gets a lot of fast food in their diet. They are with grandparents a lot who just love to spoil and I hear from both the Grands and also the kids that they buy it a lot.

I've also heard that Americans eat a lot of protein. Children 1-3 need 1 g of protein per kilo per day on average, or 10-20% of their calorie intake. I guess the food program guidelines make it easy.

My understanding is that sugar raises insulin which causes fat to be stored rather than burned by physical activity. A meal that is both sugary and fatty will cause fat to be stored.

And actually, yes, I would very much love to solve the obesity epidemic. While I support capitalism as the best baseline, there are many who couldn't care what they convince us to buy, as long as they rake in some bucks. And we buy it coz it's yummy and we don't have time to really cook anymore. And we're not well educated on health. And all those yummy, high calorie recipes on Pinterest and facebook...

Vegies are very low calorie foods. It's super important for us to eat more of them than we do. I love the "My Plate" thing--I find it helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X