No announcement yet.

DCM Texted And Asked Last Night If Child Got Injury But I Didn't Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I notice blood fast too. For most of the day yesterday, he was sitting on the couch seeming tired.

When there was an accident/injury 2 weeks ago, I filled out a detailed report and presented it to the dad at pick-up. I Said that I need him to sign it and I will make a copy for him to take home. He said that wasn't necessary so I said "ok". I made a copy this morning and gave it to mom so she can see that I document things if there's a noticeable injury.

But she did comment on every little thing on his head/face today and I'm thinking "he's 2 and we play...." . I will start doing the physical check at drop-off and check-in.

Comment

Originally posted by trix23 View Post
      I notice blood fast too. For most of the day yesterday, he was sitting on the couch seeming tired.
      Could he have had that head bump (injury) before arriving... being tired all day is a little scary in my opinion.
      When there was an accident/injury 2 weeks ago, I filled out a detailed report and presented it to the dad at pick-up. I Said that I need him to sign it and I will make a copy for him to take home. He said that wasn't necessary so I said "ok". I made a copy this morning and gave it to mom so she can see that I document things if there's a noticeable injury.
      Umm.. He doesn't want a copy and never mentioned it to mom? Big red flag!
      But she did comment on every little thing on his head/face today and I'm thinking "he's 2 and we play...." . I will start doing the physical check at drop-off and check-in.
      I commented in red above.
      Everything you've written about this family has me worried for you. It seems like it's accusation after accusation with mom and the injuries are suspicious. Mouth injuries bleed a lot, right away. You would have noticed. The bump- I suspect was there before or happened after your care and my gut is telling me it's the parents.

Comment

I just want to say that just because a child questions an injury does not mean they are a liability to your daycare.

I always let daycare know if my toddler son was injured at home if he has a visible mark and I expect them also inform me if he was hurt at daycare.

The other day on our way to the car I noticed my 5 year old had huge claw marks on his face (broke the skin, very little blood). He can talk so he told me that another student clawed his face, the teacher didn't know it had happened.

Last week, I got my toddler home and into the bath, he had clearly been bitten by another child on the back (the mark is still there over a week later). No injury report either, the teacher said he "didn't cry" --which, I'm sorry, I know my child and he cries very hard when he gets hurt or when he gets his feelings hurt.

And while I realize stuff happens and kids bite and get bit and kids get hurt sometimes, I will always bring it to the attention of his teacher when my kids get hurt and a staff member didn't know it occurred. It doesn't mean I am a liability, it means I care that the children are being properly supervised.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
          I just want to say that just because a child questions an injury does not mean they are a liability to your daycare.

I always let daycare know if my toddler son was injured at home if he has a visible mark and I expect them also inform me if he was hurt at daycare.

The other day on our way to the car I noticed my 5 year old had huge claw marks on his face (broke the skin, very little blood). He can talk so he told me that another student clawed his face, the teacher didn't know it had happened.

Last week, I got my toddler home and into the bath, he had clearly been bitten by another child on the back (the mark is still there over a week later). No injury report either, the teacher said he "didn't cry" --which, I'm sorry, I know my child and he cries very hard when he gets hurt or when he gets his feelings hurt.

And while I realize stuff happens and kids bite and get bit and kids get hurt sometimes, I will always bring it to the attention of his teacher when my kids get hurt and a staff member didn't know it occurred. It doesn't mean I am a liability, it means I care that the children are being properly supervised.
          Do you mean if a parent questions an injury? You said child...

And I disagree...parents questioning injuries isn't a liability UNLESS there are other behaviors that seem off....

Your example of how you handle injuries etc is a perfect example of open and on-going communication (ie working together)

If you never said a word about injuries and marks from home or from care and then suddenly started saying to the provider that you have "problems with daycare's and being transparent about injuries" just out of the blue then you would be a liability from my standpoint. I see a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post

I think it depends on how the parent is asking too. are they coming off accusing you, then yes, I do think they are a liability.

Comment

AFter reading the rest of the comments in this post..... I'd term.

:hug: You are getting a run for your money with these parents.

Comment

I agree with BC. Something is fishy here. Does mom like you and your daycare or do you think she would rather have him go somewhere else or stay home? I would text dad and ask him if dcb got injured after leaving last night. Don't mention mom and just say that he has bump on his head and you were not aware of it at pick up last night so you wanted to check. He may either say yes or he may say that he doesn't know, but I would be curious what his answer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
                  Do you mean if a parent questions an injury? You said child...
                  Ah yes, parent =)

but yes, I can see how this instance is different.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
                    I agree with BC. Something is fishy here. Does mom like you and your daycare or do you think she would rather have him go somewhere else or stay home? I would text dad and ask him if dcb got injured after leaving last night. Don't mention mom and just say that he has bump on his head and you were not aware of it at pick up last night so you wanted to check. He may either say yes or he may say that he doesn't know, but I would be curious what his answer is.
                    I would just drop it.. I would not start asking dad and bringing the issue back up again.

Comment

Originally posted by daycare View Post
                      I would just drop it.. I would not start asking dad and bringing the issue back up again.
                      Good point Daycare. Did OP say if the mom and dad are separated? I guess I was just thinking to ask dad since he is the one who picked up and since the two people who were providing care when it may have happened were OP and da, I figured it would be worth asking about. A little bump, no, but a bump on the head and a cut lip is a bit more serious to me. Hope that makes sense

Comment

I'd be very careful with this family.

I don't like it when families play the blame game! It makes me automatically leary of them, especially when they're going through marriage issues. I've been through one too many bad situations like this.

Comment

She didn't seem to be blaming me for it, even when she asked me originally if he fell (When he got the bump and cut lip).

And yeah, only have 1 good family out of 4 it seems.... . Oh the joys of being new....

Comment

I think she likes the fact he's here. The dad has been weird the past week. Like really awkward and asked me about my termination/withdrawal notice timeframe. They've only been here 2-3 weeks...

How do you handle it if both parents are on the contract but are splitting up? What if one wants the kid to stay here and the other doesn't?

Comment

Her comment about daycares and injuries was at the tour, not the day of the text.

Comment

Originally posted by trix23 View Post
                                I think she likes the fact he's here. The dad has been weird the past week. Like really awkward and asked me about my termination/withdrawal notice timeframe. They've only been here 2-3 weeks...

How do you handle it if both parents are on the contract but are splitting up? What if one wants the kid to stay here and the other doesn't?
                                Stay out of it as much as possible! Black cat has a really good letter for parents going through a divorce. I wish I had used it when one of my first families went through it. Would have same a ton of drama!

Comment

Working...
                                X