No announcement yet.

5 Year Old Is Bored At Daycare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My seven dck are all between 3-6. The four year old and five year olds and six year old all like to play together including with my 7 yo daughter ( a bit delayed so she seems younger). I'm wondering if part of what you're dealing with is due to an age difference. 3 year olds are not always ready for tons of cooperative or dramatic play in the way that a little bit older children are.

One of the three year olds I have is not as advanced in her development and plays pretty simply, but the other one is smart as a whip, very verbal, and is quite the diva with the older kids.

When I've had kids who aren't an automatic bunch of friends, I do more structure and have more solo-type activities like playdoh, and other arts and crafts--stuff that all ages can enjoy.

Just recently, a friend gave us a bunch of plastic dinosaurs, and I let the kids play with them in their sensory water trays indoors or outdoors in the sand and with small rocks. They've all been watching Land Before Time, so they're way into dinosaurs right now. They each play at their own level or they cooperate.

But apart from all that...I agree with giving some lessons and chores. When it was just me as a SAHM in the Summer with my son (now a teen), he got really annoying if he didn't have some serious stuff to do before he got his freedom each day. The play time seems more like a bonus when it means that chores are over.

I've had older SA kids before and if I ever do that again, I will give them some academic assignments and chores each day just to keep them grounded.

Comment

Lessons!! fun workbooks, fun leaning things. You know the dollar store kindergarten work books. Also would have this child "learn" something simple about whatever theme or instrest he has and "teach" the littles. I have a emerging reader 5 year old who runs into my room after school and tells the littles (1's and 2s) all about what he learned, often digging out his homework to show off. My kids love it

Comment

Working...
      X