Worms!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worms!!!!!

Am I wrong here? A mom just brought her boy in and said, "he has puppy worms but they're not contagious!!"
    I said no way and she said she'll probably lose her job!
    I said I'm sorry but I can't take him!!!
    Please tell me I did the right thing. I literally would pass out if I saw a worm in a diaper!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have refused care, as well.

And as for dcm losing her job.... I would be empathetic but it wouldn't change my position. This is when it's imperative that dcps have a back up plan in place.

Comment

Originally posted by delferka View Post
      Am I wrong here? A mom just brought her boy in and said, "he has puppy worms but they're not contagious!!"
      I said no way and she said she'll probably lose her job!
      I said I'm sorry but I can't take him!!!
      Please tell me I did the right thing. I literally would pass out if I saw a worm in a diaper!!!!!!!!!!!
      IF she loses her job it is NOT because you will not accept him into care (I wouldn't either...) but she will lose her job because SHE doesn't have back up care for those times in which her child care is not available to care for her kid.

So YOU (your daycare) have NOTHING to do with her job retention or loss.

Comment

Thank you!!!!

Comment

Thank you!!!

Comment

I am afraid to google it. Sounds really gross. I have never even heard of this. What is it???

Comment

Well, he can't have puppy worms. He probably has pinworms. They're harmless (gross!) but HIGHLY contagious.

Pinworms infections are highly contagious. You become infected with pinworms by unintentionally ingesting (or inhaling) pinworm eggs, usually deposited by an infected person onto an object. The cycle of infection begins with the ingestion of these microscopic eggs.
              I would wash everything in dc, probably notify families of potential spreading, and get a dr's note that he has been treated, and is worm free before returning to dc.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                Well, he can't have puppy worms. He probably has pinworms. They're harmless (gross!) but HIGHLY contagious.

I would wash everything in dc, probably notify families of potential spreading, and get a dr's note that he has been treated, and is worm free before returning to dc.
                You did the right thing refusing care. Until he is treated/ worm free he doesn't need to come back.

Comment

Ah, the scourge of the fast food indoor playground has reared it's ugly head. :: It actually does not meet exclusion policy per CDC and State guidelines.

Education and information about Enterobiasis, also known as Pinworm Infection, epidemiology and risk factors.

"Pinworm is the most common worm infection in the United States. Humans are the only species that can transfer this parasite. Household pets like dogs and cats cannot become infected with human pinworms. Pinworm eggs can survive in the indoor environment for 2 to 3 weeks."

"In children over age two years, pinworms were classically treated with the prescription medication mebendazole (Vermox). Unfortunately, it was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2011.

Reese's Pinworm Medicine (pyrantel pamoate), an over-the-counter alternative to Vermox that is available as a liquid, is now most commonly used to treat pinworms."
                  - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
                    Ah, the scourge of the fast food indoor playground has reared it's ugly head. :: It actually does not meet exclusion policy per CDC and State guidelines.

Education and information about Enterobiasis, also known as Pinworm Infection, epidemiology and risk factors.

"Pinworm is the most common worm infection in the United States. Humans are the only species that can transfer this parasite. Household pets like dogs and cats cannot become infected with human pinworms. Pinworm eggs can survive in the indoor environment for 2 to 3 weeks."

"In children over age two years, pinworms were classically treated with the prescription medication mebendazole (Vermox). Unfortunately, it was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2011.

Reese's Pinworm Medicine (pyrantel pamoate), an over-the-counter alternative to Vermox that is available as a liquid, is now most commonly used to treat pinworms."
                    The CDC also recommends that kids with lice be allowed to attend school and day care but that wouldn't be happening here any more than worms would be allowed here. It's times like this when the "My house, my rules" is a good policy to have.

Comment

Pretty common! I had them as a kid (fun times :

Tell her to get an OTC worm med and he can come back when they are gone and agree you need to wash everything. The eggs are microscopic and travel easily. Also agree that this has NOTHING to do with you. She is responsible for backup care.

Comment

OMG, no way!

Another vote that this is on her, not you.

My go-to is always "You wouldn't want your child exposed if it were another child..."

Comment

"If contact is within the last month, your child may get pinworms."

If the child has been in your home in the last 30 days, the eggs are already in your playroom. :hug:

Sorry.

The medicine is under $10. In your shoes I'd be ordering it today. It is like taking liquid motrin. One dose today, one dose next week. Easy, peasy.
                          - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Pinworms are common for children. But it sounds like the mom said the puppy has worms, not the child. Children aren't going to get worms from puppies. It's a different worm completely and won't go to people. Pinworms are awful. I've been there. It took 3 rounds, many months before my son stopped showing signs of them. No one else showed any signs but we all medicated.

Comment

Maybe it is tape worms :confused:

"Occasionally, human infants and children become infected with the dog tapeworms. This happens through ingesting larvae-containing fleas."

Occasionally, human infants and children become infected with the dog tapeworms. This happens through ingesting larvae-containing fleas.

Was there a doctors note?

Comment

Working...
                              X