Client Requesting I Install Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same thing happens to me

Had this happen almost a year ago! Dcm told me I should have cameras in my home for her to view her children. I said No way to the cameras and sent her on her way out the door with both of her kids. I won't tolerate that at all. You don't trust me then bye bye we are done!

its a red flag! Don't take this family on! The second they don't like the way you do things they will make false reports against you!

Comment

If you feel comfortable, you can let her know that it doesn't bother you for parents to occasionally show up unannounced. If a parent did it all the time, I wouldn't like it, but all my parents have had days when they just showed up early without texting for whatever reason, and there's never been a problem.

If I had been beating their child or yelling, I wouldn't have been able to cover it up and still answer the door promptly, if that makes sense.

If a parent wanted more reassurance than that, I wouldn't think we were a good fit. We live here too--it's not just a daycare.

Comment

I would never put cameras in. This is my home and I would not want to loose that feeling.That parent will probably have trust issues where ever she goes.
        Deb

Comment

Don't do it. Some parents may read this and say wtf. I caught my last daycare ignoring my baby in the corner on camera and I jerked her out! Yes there are some benefits, but that is a commercial facility. But this is MY HOME. I have personal conversations on the phone with my partner and with creditors when the kids are sleeping. Even if I don't include sound how as a parent are you going to know that all the kids are napping or that I am ignoring them? There are NOT going to be cameras in every inch of the house.

Also cameras can be hacked and also turned on remotely. I don't want the risk of 1. Your child being watched by some creep 2. The cameras turning on remotely and someone watching me during the off hours.

Finally when it comes to choosing parents, listen to the comments above. This is my 2nd round opening a daycare two different locations. Over 4 yrs now. It really is a numbers game you are playing, the risk and liability of bringing people into your home and opening yourself up is high. I always have a 2 week trial period to really test out the parents communication styles and expectations, why?

There are so many multiples when you are dealing with parents. I deal with a lot of infants. So you have parents that are sleep deprived, hormonal, stressed, new at this, feel guilty because you are raising their child essentially, they have to go back to work and don't want to, or their child behaves better in your care than at home. Those are just a few short reasons.

If you pick a high strung, severely hormonal possibly post partum depressed mom, single parent with higher stress due to no support system, poor communications skills, their primary language is not yours. This list can go on. You automatically increase your chances of conflict and not being able to work through the multitude of things it takes to raise a child together. You are co-parenting no doubt about it. It is a very close relationship. But finally you are a business NOT family.

So when you interview families taking the time to learn to read the energy between the couple, and utilize that trial period. If you don't have one, put one in your contract.

The advice above that it takes months to build clientele. Not always, it really depends on how well you market yourself and your location, prices, theme etc.

Both times I opened first time full in a week. Second time full in 3 weeks. Door flyers, then FB groups (neighborhood, moms groups, etc.) Granted it takes a while to sort through parents and I have a tight open and close time frame and age restrictions so that really limits me. But I stay full.

Wish you the best, unfortunately it takes going through the school of hard knocks to learn how to read people. Also looking at this from a business/risk perspective NOT like grandma. You can love the kids, doesn't mean you have to have a business relationship with the parents. Good luck.

Comment

I started at the beginning of last year and the number one lesson I've learned is to only work with DCP's who I trust. I very nearly quit after the first few months due to a needy and non paying DCP, and it left me rediculiously stressed out. I only have great parents now and it changes the nature of the work and my feelings towards it completely. Trust your instincts. And remember - it's your home. You have the right to have it feel that way.
            :hug:
            lovethis Every Child needs Roots and Wings

Comment

Working...
            X