Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daycare with Bad Reputation...How do I recover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since several people have suggested the community volunteer thing I will look into that. It's weird with me. I can be very social but not if I feel like I need to be. I can't really put a certain label on it because it's just all over the place. Hopefully there is something like that around.

Any ideas on how long it would take for these things to blow over on the present course if I keep doing what I've been doing?
    How about either hosting or putting on some sort of seminar for parents. You could cover some things like behavior management, choosing the right daycare, sleep issues etc. Whatever you think will get people to come. You can introduce people and have other people talk mostly after you do brief introductions if you want. Really advertise the heck out of it. My chiropractor did this a few months ago. She called it a "womens expo" and had local business women come to give talks about things pertaining to health and wellness. It was good for them because they got to plug their business and it was good exposure for her. They set up booths inside the office as well and people just mingled.

I think it is super important that you start showing yourself as a professional person. I think standing in the background is not going to help matters if people get the wrong perception of you right out of the gate.

I am not sure how long it will take to blow over but 2 years in my opinion is way too long for this to still be going on. That is small town racism for you

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
      How about either hosting or putting on some sort of seminar for parents. You could cover some things like behavior management, choosing the right daycare, sleep issues etc. Whatever you think will get people to come. You can introduce people and have other people talk mostly after you do brief introductions if you want. Really advertise the heck out of it. My chiropractor did this a few months ago. She called it a "womens expo" and had local business women come to give talks about things pertaining to health and wellness. It was good for them because they got to plug their business and it was good exposure for her. They set up booths inside the office as well and people just mingled.

I think it is super important that you start showing yourself as a professional person. I think standing in the background is not going to help matters if people get the wrong perception of you right out of the gate.

I am not sure how long it will take to blow over but 2 years in my opinion is way too long for this to still be going on. That is small town racism for you
      I think I get the overall theme is to get myself out there. I've tried doing that with taking the kids to the local park. Really the people who are not part of that gossip circle don't have a bad perception of me so it's not like they meet me (in the background) and get a bad vibe. Rather, it's the people part of that gossip circle who without meeting me or coming to look at the place already have a strong perception of how things are.

Comment

I think I get the overall theme is to get myself out there. I've tried doing that with taking the kids to the local park. Really the people who are not part of that gossip circle don't have a bad perception of me so it's not like they meet me (in the background) and get a bad vibe. Rather, it's the people part of that gossip circle who without meeting me or coming to look at the place already have a strong perception of how things are.
        Ugh, sometimes you just cannot make people understand 'you don't need to believe everything you hear!' It's sad they're not even giving you a chance and have prejudged everything about you.
        I know it's being suggested to you left and right but I have to agree with what PPs are saying about 'getting yourself out there'. And I'm not talking going to the park and being seen. What about volunteering for an hour here or there to read at your local library for children's story hour? Organize something you can present to a younger population. I live in New England and people get serious cabin fever around now. A couple weeks ago they had a Messy Play Day at one at the local schools where a local child care network puts it on. Kids love it! They tape plastic to the gym floor, fill sensory tubs with different things and just let the kids go at it. It's good family fun and is free. In another couple weeks they have a Dabble Day which I volunteer at, along with many of the members of another network group. Each table offers a different activity for kids and families to get involved in. I wonder if you and your staff could do something like that on a smaller scale?
        Can you network with other providers in town and arrange family fun days?? I am a terrible introvert, in the worst way. I never used to put myself out there for anything. Maybe it's a good thing the state has cracked down and made us more involved.
        Just remember, you and your staff are special in the lives of your little people, keep smiling even if you don't feel like it, act friendly and kind no matter what anyone is saying about you and hold yourself straight and proud. This will pass, maybe not as soon as you wish or need but when the gossip runs its course and people that meet you learn more about you, people will hopefully come to their senses.
        It's too bad the local newspaper couldn't write an article about your child care and add a little personal piece about you. Is there some local charity you could have the kids get involved in, such as a dog shelter or food shelf? Then call the paper and ask if they could do a little piece about it and snap a picture for their paper?
        Some times I just want to take close-minded people and shake some sense into them. Ignorance and arrogance makes some think they're better than others.:dislike:
        I wish you the best of luck in getting over this hurdle!!

Comment

do those people have kids? Would they be interested in hearing about topics pertaining to kids? Would they be interested in hearing, for free, about businesses that pertain to kids etc. And perhaps getting free stuff. The object is to change their minds about you right?

I personally don't see how going to a local park is going to get anyone to change their minds about you. YOU need to participate in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
            do those people have kids? Would they be interested in hearing about topics pertaining to kids? Would they be interested in hearing, for free, about businesses that pertain to kids etc. And perhaps getting free stuff. The object is to change their minds about you right?

I personally don't see how going to a local park is going to get anyone to change their minds about you. YOU need to participate in that.
            well taking the kids to the park shows the dynamic, shows the kids having fun, and gives presence in the neighbourhood with the parents that use that park during the day. I've had people ask about where we are from and that sort of a thing after meeting at the park.

regarding the seminar stuff, I have no idea how to set those up, nor have any contacts, nor where to begin and I don't have money to pay for free stuff etc. I also am not allowed to operate beyond my normal hours by condition of my lease...

Comment

As you mentioned, Josiegirl, about the newspaper article- He can write his own actually! I've done it a few times. Write a press release, email it to several online and print papers. You plan an event and you write about your school and the event. First paragraph- the event, next paragraph- more about the school. Please remember to include your website, phone number, etc. WITH a link! Then host your event AND take photos. Then you send out ANOTHER press release describing the event and now you have pics. .. What you need is a real marketing plan. That would include: events you will attend, events you will host, putting out press releases on events, advertising openings, etc. I can pm you the press releases I wrote if I can find them. Just to give an idea if you don't know where to begin. Events to host could be: family fun day, host a speaker (as mentioned by previous posters, don't speak yourself because that's just annoying- like now you are going to tell the community what they need to be doing and how), coat/canned food drives, beach/Creek clean ups..

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
                As you mentioned, Josiegirl, about the newspaper article- He can write his own actually! I've done it a few times. Write a press release, email it to several online and print papers. You plan an event and you write about your school and the event. First paragraph- the event, next paragraph- more about the school. Please remember to include your website, phone number, etc. WITH a link! Then host your event AND take photos. Then you send out ANOTHER press release describing the event and now you have pics. .. What you need is a real marketing plan. That would include: events you will attend, events you will host, putting out press releases on events, advertising openings, etc. I can pm you the press releases I wrote if I can find them. Just to give an idea if you don't know where to begin. Events to host could be: family fun day, host a speaker (as mentioned by previous posters, don't speak yourself because that's just annoying- like now you are going to tell the community what they need to be doing and how), coat/canned food drives, beach/Creek clean ups..
                These are good idea. I actually know the previous owner did a press release of sorts with some local media outlets when the school originally was opened. It was highly successful. It also cost her a few thousand dollars. I believe it was something like a TV interview, something in the local papers/magazine, and an ad in the local rec centre.

Comment

A press release is free. You wrote it and email it to all the local places. They decide if they care to print. It's fun to see when they print what you write!

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
                    A press release is free. You wrote it and email it to all the local places. They decide if they care to print. It's fun to see when they print what you write!
                    Cool didn't know that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X