What's On Your Walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's On Your Walls?

So I'm moving into our new space with a playroom totally devoted to the kiddos. In our previous arrangement our main area was my living room. I have NOTHING for the walls at this point, and they are white. I'm on a tight budget and contending with the craziest carpet scheme ever. Anyone have budget friendly ideas to make the space less sterile for the time being? The picture is of the room from the real estate listing. Just look at that carpet!

I bought a BUNCH of posters from the dollar tree! They have ABCs, 123s, oposite words/pics, synonym words/pics, shapes, colors, life of a butterfly, life of a frog, and I got a big birthday one for all the kiddos! Each one had 2 in the pack so that was nice. Last time I was there about 2 weeks ago they still had them. It really makes a big difference in how my area looks! I also have a big preschool wall with our curriculum posters, a white board, etc along with a big corkboard to hold my son's and group art projects.

Comment

I've seen lots of diy sensory boards on Pinterest. http://pin.it/witt1Oz I actually have a Melissa and Doug one screwed to my wall and the kids love it and pay more attention to it now that it's on the wall. I also laminated 12x12 sheets of the children's families. One for each child. They love randomly going up to see photos of mom and dad. The kid's artwork, maybe a bulletin board. Just get some cork board.

Comment

I want that room!!! It's gorgeous
        Are you handy with drawing/painting at all? I can picture murals on it.

Comment

First I would move the gun safe.::::::::

I don't have a ton of wall space. Every wall has either a large opening or a bay window. My walls are pretty simple- corkboard/ dry erase board for parent info, a vinyl wall sticker of a tree and parrots, a Fraggle Rock wall clock, and a poster. About the only thing that's "different" is I used my kids and 2 DCKs and made footprints going up the wall and handprints on the ceiling in one corner.

You have tons of space for floor level mirrors, chalkboard/ dry erase boards, and felt boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiegirl View Post
            I want that room!!! It's gorgeous
            Are you handy with drawing/painting at all? I can picture murals on it.
            I was going to suggest that^^^
            I have a mural and some wall decor stickers

Comment

Originally posted by DaveA View Post
              First I would move the gun safe.::::::::
              ::::

Comment

Paint. I'm a big believer in reducing clutter, extreme visual contrast, and the spatter of primary colors that gets flung all over kids' spaces by well-meaning adults.

Are the walls flat or are they paneled? I can't tell. If not paneled, I'd put a line of painter's tape aligned to the window sills, put my wall paint below, and leave it white above or paint it a pale color. I'd make the color below to match the buff border on your carpet, or a grayed, paler shade of the accent color in your carpet--is it green or just dark gray?

After that, just hang a few framed art prints down at kid height and you're good!
                A recent study found that kindergartners taught in a highly decorated classroom were more distracted and scored lower on tests than when walls were bare.

Comment

I vote for paint and giant wall stickers!

It's easy to separate corners or areas of a room by using different themes and types of wall stickers. You can find them at Home Depot, Menards, Amazon, Walmart, Target etc.....

Super cute, fun and easy to apply and remove/rearrange!

Comment

I have abc stickers going along the top of one wall. I use another wall to display some of the kids' crafts (I switch them out as we do different ones). I have my bulletin board with my license and other stuff I need displayed for licensing. And the other wall just has my diaper changing station hanging (basically a plastic thing with pockets that is typically used for shoes but I use it for diapers, wipes, etc).

Comment

If the fire place hearth is needing to be covered, Pinterest has some fantastic ideas on how to cover it super cute and easy to do!

Comment

I painted a section with chalkboard paint, and one with magnetic paint, you really can't see it but the kids know where they can play magnets on the wall, kids enjoy both

Comment

How about the kids artwork for a quick fix? Let them paint with watercolors or tempura paints. You can make a cheap display with twine and clothes pins, or just tape them on the wall with blue painters tape and colored construction paper behind? ... cheap, cute, and good for their self esteem!

Comment

You can get cheap paint at most paint or home stores if you look in their discount bin. Some colours that were brought back go for 1/4 of the price! Or ask your neighbours and friends if they have any cans collecting dust. I just gave 2 cans of paint to a friend to paint her master bedroom because I did not like the colour (too pale for me).

I also love displaying kids artwork. Get some canvas at the dollar store and let the kids paint them and hang them. Or get a cork board or some frames and display them like that.

Comment

I would certainly paint..... including one area of chalk board paint (they no longer have to be black), I also really love a space dedicated to the children's art and a space with family photos

Wall decals are nice I like the ones that are a map of the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X