Get Children To Nap Problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racemom View Post
    One thing I do when I have someone who won't go to sleep is have them lay on their stomach, hands by their side and eyes closed. If they open their eyes sternly tell them to close them. If you have someone who refuses to lay still, sit by them and place your hand on their back, just light pressure usually helps. Also, do not engage them in conversation. Short simple commands of lay down, close your eyes, lay still. They currently are enjoying all the interaction you are giving them, so they don't fall asleep.

As far as taking someone to the office, if you are going to threaten it, do it. If you take one to the office, that will show the rest you mean business and they will straighten up. As long as they know you will not do it, it is ineffective.
    Yes, if you say it, mean it. Otherwise, don't say it. If you're threatening to take them to the office, but then you don't, they will learn that you don't follow through with consequences. I would rather threaten with a more minor consequence, such as losing a pillow or stuffed animal, and be able to follow through than threaten with a harsher consequence, like going to the office, and not be able to follow through.

I also don't engage in conversation at nap time. My response are pretty much limited to "go to sleep" or "it is rest time" and, the first time they ask to go to the bathroom, "no, you may go when you wake up." I send all mine to the bathroom before nap to avoid disruptions when everyone suddenly decides to ask to potty. Once you're on your mat, you're there until you wake up.

Once you get these groups to respect you better overall, they will listen better at nap.

Comment

Working...
    X