Drop Off Cutoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Off Cutoff

Hi all! Do you institute a drop off cutoff time? I have a new family who had been dropping off around 10am and I am finding it pretty disruptive to my routine. We do all our activities in the morning, by the time she is here she gets to do one thing, lunch, then nap. She doesn't nap at all and I suspect it's because they let her sleep in till like 9:30.

What time do you cut off drop offs? Their scheduled time is 8am, I do have a no call/no show policy and they haven't been texting me or calling within the 30 minutes stated in the handbook. She is a really great kid though, I just feel like I need her parents to fall in line.

I'm full for the first time in two years and it's great to have a steady income while I go through some serious personal stuff.

I've had some major issues with parents who are hours late to drop off. I feel that it is very inconvenient and disrespectful to the kids and me. I recently implemented a policy that says they will pay $5 for every half hour that they are late and their child will not be admitted after an hour and a half late. I now also charge a $20 no call no show fee. This is probably fairly lenient compared to some providers' contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by NillaWafers View Post
      Hi all! Do you institute a drop off cutoff time? I have a new family who had been dropping off around 10am and I am finding it pretty disruptive to my routine. We do all our activities in the morning, by the time she is here she gets to do one thing, lunch, then nap. She doesn't nap at all and I suspect it's because they let her sleep in till like 9:30.

What time do you cut off drop offs? Their scheduled time is 8am, I do have a no call/no show policy and they haven't been texting me or calling within the 30 minutes stated in the handbook. She is a really great kid though, I just feel like I need her parents to fall in line.

I'm full for the first time in two years and it's great to have a steady income while I go through some serious personal stuff.
      Yep! If they are not here by 9, they can't come! I will make exceptions of course, but it can't happen on the regular.

Comment

I don't have a cut off time but if a child is having trouble napping, I'd definitely address with the parent. I would not say anything about the later drop off but I would say the child needs to arrive prepared for whatever activity is scheduled at the time of drop off. So if she's sleeping in and being dropped off later and therefore will not nap, that is not prepared.

I'd call for pick up. "DCP, I am needing you to come pick up Sally. It is rest time here and she is clearly not prepared for rest time and is causing a disruption to the daily schedule. Thank you! See you shortly"

If you continue to just deal with it, they will continue to do it. If she is being dropped of unprepared, make it the parents issue and they will more than likely fix it.

What do they do for a job that they can just drop off so randomly?

Comment

Originally posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
          Yep! If they are not here by 9, they can't come! I will make exceptions of course, but it can't happen on the regular.
          I make exceptions for appointments (eg. dentist or well child visit with no vaccines) or those unforseeables (car trouble)

I don't care what time their contracted drop off is, I allow drop offs from 8-9 AM. After 9 we start circle time, and the door gets locked and my sign goes up on the door.

Keep a knockin' but you can't come in
          Come back tomorrow night and try it again

Comment

Her dad is a freelance graphic designer and works from home. Her mom works for a hotel and has a more regular schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by NillaWafers View Post
              Her dad is a freelance graphic designer and works from home. Her mom works for a hotel and has a more regular schedule.

Dcm, the kids are missing quite a bit by not being dropped off prior to 9am, and it's throwing our schedule off since they aren't on the same routine as the other children in care. At this point, I really need to insist that they arrive before 9am so that they will be here for circle time. Thanks!

There is no reason dcm isn't doing all drop offs.

Comment

I didn't use to, but hours vary too much. 9 am

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                  I make exceptions for appointments (eg. dentist or well child visit with no vaccines) or those unforseeables (car trouble)

I don't care what time their contracted drop off is, I allow drop offs from 8-9 AM. After 9 we start circle time, and the door gets locked and my sign goes up on the door.

Come back tomorrow night and try it again

This is hilarious!

I don't have a drop off cut off, but my families have been mostly consistent and it hasn't disrupted our routine when someone is dropped off later.

If DCG's late arrivals are disrupting your routine then I think a drop off cut off time is reasonable.

Comment

I do cutoff here at 8:30 now. I address this during interviews and in my handbook. I explain that each child needs to be in attendance by x time each day to allow them a brief time to adjust to the daycare environment prior to the daycare schedule getting under way.

I think it can be addressed as suggested above.

Comment

I don't but I have been thinking about adding it. Anytime I have kids show up after 10 they have a hard time joining the group as if they are in vacation mode. They usually take a nap bu since I have a few parents off during the week and have night schedules I and starting to see it more and more.

Comment

I don't have a cut off time and I would probably only talk to the parents about the non-napping if the child was disruptive or noisy during nap. I would then give them the option of getting her up earlier so that she naps with the others, or of finding another daycare.

Comment

No formal cut off, but DCPs know we do a lot away from the house as part of the program. If they're not here by 830 I can't guarantee we will be here for drop off. ::

Comment

Mine is 1000am may change to 900am but it hasn't been an issue lately. I allow up until 1100a. If they have an appt. Before I had a child whose drop off time was 900am but he wouldn't come u til 1000am at times. It got annoying. Kids are all here by 845 sometimes 900 and it works so well.

Comment

This isn't directed at anyone in particular but I saw this subject being discussed in a parent group I am in and although I totally understand the provider perspective, most parents have commented that they would not sign up with a provider that has a cut off time. There were many reasons why they didn't like it but the main one was most were upset that they couldn't spend a lazy morning with their child.

I kind of agree with them....

I want working parents to sneak in any amount of face time with their child that they can and requiring them to drop off at a certain time prohibits that most times and I don't like that.

The ONLY time I would bring it up to the parent is if it disrupts rest time for the others. Or if the parent complained about the child missing out on certain activities.

I have an almost 4 yr old in care right now that gets dropped off days a week right AT lunch time. She has 2 "snuggle" days with grandma and I know she sleeps in but she is still perfectly capable of coming here at lunch and still participating in rest time.

She doesn't sleep but she lays quietly and has never disturbed the others. If it was an issue, I'd absolutely bring it up to the parents but I can fathom denying this child her special time with grandma because I want a cut off time.

Comment

Working...
                              X