Swaddling vs Not Swaddling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swaddling vs Not Swaddling

I have a baby in daycare. He turns 1 next week.

Daycare has always swaddled him to sleep (he has been enrolled since 5 weeks). It worked well for them, so I started doing it also.

I stopped swaddling him at home months ago. He started getting loose right away and he goes to sleep rather quickly without it....but then he wakes up several (like 3-6) times each night.

Daycare still swaddles him, says he sleeps better that way. He's kind of a horrible sleeper, both at home and at daycare. Do you think this is okay/safe? Should I ask them to stop? I want him to sleep good for them, but it seems weird to be swaddling a 1 year old....

In Minnesota we are not legally allowed to swaddle and infant who can roll over. I would assume, since your son is one, he has been rolling for some time. Daycare should not be swaddling him any longer.

Comment

We are NOT allowed to swaddle once they can roll over.

I would not be okay with them swaddling at your baby's age and honestly think its dangerous to do so.

Comment

I agree with the PP. Additionally, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents stop swaddling at 2 months.

​The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says that when done correctly, swaddling can be an effective technique to help calm infants and promote sleep.

Comment

Nobody should swaddle past 2-3 months or so--as soon as the child can roll, it's life-threatening to swaddle. I understand the impulse to do anything that will get a fussy child to sleep, but it's never worth the risk.

Day care providers in my state are not permitted to swaddle any child of any age for any reason.

Comment

What are they using to swaddle him? As others have mentioned swaddling once they can turn over isn't safe. But I do use a swaddler sleep sack with my 5 month old DC baby. I do not put her arms in the swaddle, however, and her legs are not swaddled, obviously. But I can't imagine using this sleep sack once she's closer to a year.

Comment

I don't swaddle any kids. I feel it's your right to have them stop. As the others have mentioned, it's unsafe.

Comment

I wouldn't want my 1 year old swaddled. It's not helping him learn to sleep and resettle into sleep on his own IMO. I mean really, are they going to continue to swaddle him until he's 2, 3, 4?

I would ask them to stop doing it and then I'd be doing some early drop in pick ups when you know it's near the end of nap so be sure that they've actually stopped.

I would bet that once the swaddling is stopped altogether your little one will begin to sleep better and be able to resettle himself on his own pretty quickly.

Comment

Have you heard of the Zipadee Zip? I use it for the four month old I watch occasionally (with the parents' permission).

Comment

Thank you for all your input.
                    I will have them stop swaddling.

While I understand the risk of SIDS, my understanding is that the risk is very low at his age. I let him sleep with a swaddling blanket at home, on his tummy.

I mentioned to daycare how quickly he falls asleep for me (I lay him down, and pat his back, and he's usually out in a few seconds)...they said that regulations say baby has to be laid down on his back unless he rolls over on his own in his sleep, which is understandable. I think when he moves to the 1's room he can sleep on his tummy though....I'll have to do some checking.

Comment

Originally posted by happymom View Post
                      Thank you for all your input.
                      I will have them stop swaddling.

While I understand the risk of SIDS, my understanding is that the risk is very low at his age. I let him sleep with a swaddling blanket at home, on his tummy.

I mentioned to daycare how quickly he falls asleep for me (I lay him down, and pat his back, and he's usually out in a few seconds)...they said that regulations say baby has to be laid down on his back unless he rolls over on his own in his sleep, which is understandable. I think when he moves to the 1's room he can sleep on his tummy though....I'll have to do some checking.
                      We are instructed to place baby in bed on their backs.

If they are able to roll on their own and do so, we may leave them as they are.

At your son's age, they are sticking to the "place baby on back" concept but still feel swaddling is okay?

That makes no sense to me... :confused:

Comment

He has started transitioning to the 1's room. Yesterday he had his first nap there, swaddled, on the mat (currently he sleeps in a pack n play).

Yesterday the 1s room only had one other child, so they let my Jack go over there for a few hours. He doesn't quite meet all of the milestones to move at this change and will stay in the infant room until January.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

At your son's age, they are sticking to the "place baby on back" concept but still feel swaddling is okay?

That makes no sense to me... :confused:
                          They swaddle all the babies. Is there something I should print out to let them know that swaddling past early infancy is unsafe?

Comment

He has started transitioning to the 1's room. Yesterday he had his first nap there, swaddled, on the mat (currently he sleeps in a pack n play).

Yesterday the 1s room only had one other child, so they let my Jack go over there for a few hours. He doesn't quite meet all of the milestones to move at this change and will stay in the infant room until January.
                            Can I ask you to clarify "swaddling" as it pertains to how the center does it?

I'm having a hard time visualizing an almost 1 year old wrapped up snug like a burrito (without the ability to move his limbs) and laid on a nap mat

Do they "swaddle" differently? legs only maybe? sleep sack vs swaddler?

You mentioned allowing him to sleep at home with a swaddle blanket... we aren't allowed to use blankets to swaddle and can use only the sleep sacks with wings so that's what got me wondering about what "swaddling" means for them....

We can NOT place a child (even the day before their 1st birthday) anywhere but a crib or PNP. If we did, we'd be fined up to $1000. We can not have a blanket of ANY kind (other than the sleep sack) in the crib/PNP with baby either.

Comment

They swaddle all the babies. Is there something I should print out to let them know that swaddling past early infancy is unsafe?
                              Swaddling may increase the risk of SIDS

Here you'll find parenting tips and informative information including expert parenting advice for each age and stage in your child's development.

The APA recommends that babies not get swaddled after 2 months if they are intentionally trying or have mastered rolling over. Even only one way

​The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says that when done correctly, swaddling can be an effective technique to help calm infants and promote sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X