Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 Months and Still No Real Income. Is It Worth It???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knoxmomof2 View Post
    I've been doing this for 4 years. I homeschooled my own 2 and did caregiving for Seniors overnight. My DH's schedule became unpredictable and I had to find an alternative. This was it. I started with 1 child coming full-time every other week and part-time on the opposite weeks. It took me until a year later to be comfortable enough to add a 2nd. I can have up to 4 in my state without needing to be licensed and I have been at capacity for over a year now.

The best learned lessons are the least comfortable ones. My DH has a great business sense and he would have so much advice for my issues, but I'm stubborn and have to really get hurt before I quit thinking with my heart and start thinking with my head. Enforce your payment policy! No pay= no stay. Realize that these clients are going to protect themselves first... And you have to do the same!

These posts have empowered me to take control of my business - I stared down 2 very controlling Dcms who have ran my life for the last few years and I said "this is the new policy, if it doesn't fit your family, I understand if you need to find a new care provider". I'm not rolling in money, but I'm over it. I'm ready to be my own boss and stop worrying about people who don't worry about me. I will interview with the understanding that I am a partner with them in regards to their child, but I am my own boss. If that scares them away, it wouldn't have worked out anyway ☺️ You just have to get mad enough! Lol...
    I am right there with you... just out of curiosity do you have an opening for JAN 2017... I am aging out 2 kids (one will be 20 months by Christmas, the other 21 months) & both parents looking for 7-5 scenario; they pay by the month on the first, no issues... they are excellent about illness policies too . Both drive 25-30 minutes to get to me daily; I know you are within 15-20 minutes of me, so I'm hoping... one actually lives in Knox - the other works there. PM if you need more info

Comment

This is more business than taking care of kids

I haven't read all the the posts but here are some quick thoughts. Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs. Will add 1 additional hr for $4 additional a week. I don't have 12 hr days. I have 10 holidays and 10 vacations days a year. I do NOT give free weeks off for vacation to my parents or discounts for maternity leave or teachers.

I only take 0-24 months, a tighter age range leaves you less worn out trying to feed a baby then teach preschool to a 4 yr old. Also safer for the babies, less liability and risk for accidents.

Babies need less is kid stuff, food, craft supplies etc. Plus they are quieter and not as mobile so they don't destroy your house or require you to spend as long cleaning it at the end of the day.

I am upfront about how I am choosing my parents as much as they choose me and I give a two week trial period. I also put my foot down on schedules. Charge late fees.

I put a lot of information on my website. I feed organic, non GMO, non toxic cleaning supplies, quiet chill environment, and plenty of outside time.

With 4 kids I don't need an assistant. I bill my clients through Paypal and don't take cash. Hits my account instantly and plenty of automatic features that make it one less thing I have to do.

Again the list goes on but those are my main things I do. 4 yrs of doing this previously I put my foot down this time. I was maxed out within 10 days of opening. Just used the FB neighborhood page and FB advertising this time. Almost free.

I will say also I am trained to take special needs kids and I do. I Have a Bachelors, and have been a former special needs foster parent. These parents are willing to pay for quality.

Oh I also have a strict sick policy. No runny noses here so far. I am big on hand washing, toys sanitizing, fresh air and sunlight with healthy food. Kids are healthier that way.

Again it is hands down a business, more than taking care of kids. Kids are just the perk oh and working from home. Go take a local small business class at the community college. Learn a bit of marketing, how to sell, do finances, set boundaries etc.

Finally running a business is not for everyone and that is ok. Nothing wrong with realizing it isn't your thing and you want to go work for someone and get a regular paycheck.

Sorry for potential typos babies up, got to go. Good luck with everything guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I haven't read all the the posts but here are some quick thoughts. Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs.
        Many of you charge wayyyyy too low.

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs.
        Please remember that we're all working in different regions. My daughter is at an elite private school with early drop-off and late pick-up and you are charging as much as that school does. Contrast that with the region I moved here from, where center rates are more like $1600+/month and my daughter's in-home care cost more than yours does.

Comment

That is really an unfair and untrue statement.

A provider can charge whatever she/he wants but that doesn't mean families will pay it or can afford to pay it.

Child care is in HIGH demand where I live and parents post daily on search sites looking for child care spaces.

Many child care providers (mostly newer ones but some veteran providers) post daily looking to fill empty vacancies in their child care's.

The problem? The rates charged are beyond what any family can pay so BOTH consumer and supplier have vacancies and unfulfilled needs.

HOW much you charge isn't the key to staying in business at all and honestly has very little to do with it....

What has EVERYTHING to do with it is knowing what the community wants/needs and how you as a business can meet those needs.

The things you listed as perks to your program mean something ONLY to those seeking those things.

Parents in your area may be willing to pay for what they feel is quality but quality means something different to everyone.

Parents are only willing to pay what they can reasonably afford and pay for only those things they value or those things that fit their needs.

Comment

I charge center rates. $200 that is for 9 hrs. Will add 1 additional hr for $4 additional a week. I don't have 12 hr days. I have 10 holidays and 10 vacations days a year. I do NOT give free weeks off for vacation to my parents or discounts for maternity leave or teachers.

I only take 0-24 months, a tighter age range leaves you less worn out trying to feed a baby then teach preschool to a 4 yr old. Also safer for the babies, less liability and risk for accidents.

Babies need less is kid stuff, food, craft supplies etc. Plus they are quieter and not as mobile so they don't destroy your house or require you to spend as long cleaning it at the end of the day.

I am upfront about how I am choosing my parents as much as they choose me and I give a two week trial period. I also put my foot down on schedules. Charge late fees.

I put a lot of information on my website. I feed organic, non GMO, non toxic cleaning supplies, quiet chill environment, and plenty of outside time.

With 4 kids I don't need an assistant. I bill my clients through Paypal and don't take cash. Hits my account instantly and plenty of automatic features that make it one less thing I have to do.

Again the list goes on but those are my main things I do. 4 yrs of doing this previously I put my foot down this time. I was maxed out within 10 days of opening. Just used the FB neighborhood page and FB advertising this time. Almost free.

I will say also I am trained to take special needs kids and I do. I Have a Bachelors, and have been a former special needs foster parent. These parents are willing to pay for quality.

Oh I also have a strict sick policy. No runny noses here so far. I am big on hand washing, toys sanitizing, fresh air and sunlight with healthy food. Kids are healthier that way.

Again it is hands down a business, more than taking care of kids. Kids are just the perk oh and working from home. Go take a local small business class at the community college. Learn a bit of marketing, how to sell, do finances, set boundaries etc.

Finally running a business is not for everyone and that is ok. Nothing wrong with realizing it isn't your thing and you want to go work for someone and get a regular paycheck.

Sorry for potential typos babies up, got to go. Good luck with everything guys.
            Please remember that everyone has to charge the right rate for their area. If they don't they won't get business.

I know you didn't read all the posts but I systematically don't make my rates public on here because they are actually higher than yours.

Not trying to be snarky but I think the group of us that do charge higher because we have to because of cost of living or that is what daycare is going for in our areas, are quiet about it because it's bad to talk about money, especially more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
              Please remember that everyone has to charge the right rate for their area. If they don't they won't get business.

I know you didn't read all the posts but I systematically don't make my rates public on here because they are actually higher than yours.

Not trying to be snarky but I think the group of us that do charge higher because we have to because of cost of living or that is what daycare is going for in our areas, are quiet about it because it's bad to talk about money, especially more of it.
              :confused: What?

I have zero issues talking about money. Why is it bad to talk about money? It's more than likely the #1 motivator or deterrent in regards to why providers do what they do. Both negative and positive.

Providers put up with badly behaving parents and/or children for the money.
              Parents seek care based on how much or how little care costs.
              Provider's have fees for those times in which clients don't follow policies.

It's ALL about money. I might love my job and I like/love my daycare kids and families but I won't lie and say I would still be here if it weren't for the money.

It's not bad or wrong to talk about money and as a matter of fact I think if more providers did talk about money, more clients (as well as the general public) would stop thinking of this profession as one based on love. verses the pay check.

When my mortgage is due, I pay it with money. For some reason, they don't accept love.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I have zero issues talking about money. Why is it bad to talk about money? It's more than likely the #1 motivator or deterrent in regards to why providers do what they do. Both negative and positive.

It's ALL about money. I might love my job and I like/love my daycare kids and families but I won't lie and say I would still be here if it weren't for the money.

It's not bad or wrong to talk about money and as a matter of fact I think if more providers did talk about money, more clients (as well as the general public) would stop thinking of this profession as one based on love. verses the pay check.

When my mortgage is due, I pay it with money. For some reason, they don't accept love.

Comment

Hahaha, I guess I mean it in a sense of judging someone because of it. Like, that their business isn't doing well because of it. We all know this profession needs money to make money.

I'm in school so I can roll in dough without the expenses. :: Not to mention the benefits packages that come along as a perk of the job.

I love money, I charge a lot of it. When people blanch at my prices I remind them that not only are my bills are the same as them but I have extra little ones to take care of.

Comment

Hahaha, I guess I mean it in a sense of judging someone because of it.
                    True!

I love money, I charge a lot of it. When people blanch at my prices I remind them that not only are my bills are the same as them but I have extra little ones to take care of.
                    :: ::

Comment

True!

:: ::
                      And I do wish The Beatles hadn't have lied to all of us about love!!!!

Comment

And I do wish The Beatles hadn't have lied to all of us about love!!!!
                        ::

Comment

Working...
                        X