What Are the Best Baby Bottles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are the Best Baby Bottles?

I have an infant who has terrible reflux spits up if you burp her or shift positions. Parents said I can't move her for 30 mins after a feed. She drinks 3-5 oz a feed and is 4 months old. Is currently using a dr Browns bottle I don't like them. What do you all think is the best kind of bottle to use?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have an infant who has terrible reflux spits up if you burp her or shift positions. Parents said I can't move her for 30 mins after a feed. She drinks 3-5 oz a feed and is 4 months old. Is currently using a dr Browns bottle I don't like them. What do you all think is the best kind of bottle to use?

I've tested out an insane amount of bottles. The only ones I could find that don't create gassy babies are dr browns and Playtex drop ins.

Comment

I think Dr. Brown's are the best. I also think that reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME.

Comment

The best bottles are the ones baby likes. LOL

I see the best results with Dr Browns & playtex drop-ins,the old school ones...but...with pukers I also see improvement using *distilled* water, and SOY formula. Not the AR, not the predigested something or other... soy. Which is seems that is not "suggested" much anymore at all, according to the lady at WIC, or the nutritionist I talked to the other day(i have a foster baby on soy right now). Anyway, with meds, soy and dr browns bottles, he rarely spits up and is fairly happy in general.

I have had two other babies with super bad reflux, and soy reduced their issues by half(they still were pukers, but "happy" pukers). Soy puke is sooooo gross, the laundry aspect was horrible. So getting another baby on soy, my initial reaction was "oh...poopy sticks...".

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
          I think Dr. Brown's are the best. I also think that reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME.
          with everything above.

My DD was a reflux baby - Dr. Browns were the only bottles she could tolerate. Her reflux was greatly improved by using lactose free formula (with gas drops) and decreasing the amount of formula she had in one feed. We also fed her upright, kept her up upright for about 15 minutes after a feed and would stop a feed halfway, burp her and then continue.

Good luck!

Comment

This baby is breastfed and on reflux meds. She uses the dr Browns but seems to get to much to fast. Mom cut out dairy and eggs.

Comment

This baby is breastfed and on reflux meds. She uses the dr Browns but seems to get to much to fast. Mom cut out dairy and eggs.
              I, personally, am not a Dr. Brown's fan. I think their "anti-colic" system makes the bottles worse and the baby more gassy.

I think it is always a good idea to test out different bottles for each child. Each baby is different. I have always had better luck with the bottles without bells and whistles, less gas, less fuss, less money spent=happy baby.

Comment

I have always been and forever will be a true believer in Playtex Drop-Ins. I love them, and plan to use them for my own baby when he/she needs expressed milk.

Dr. Brown bottles have seemed to cause more gas and reflux issues in my experience. My most recent DCM switched to Avent Natural from Dr. Brown, and we no longer had reflux issues. Mom was able to stop giving reflux meds, and baby no longer spits up.

Make sure the nipple isn't flowing too fast, and burp baby every 2 ounces. Sometimes baby just needs a break to let the belly settle, especial if she is taking quite a bit at one feeding. If mom is on board, you can also feed fewer ounces more frequently, to allow for baby's tummy to digest what she has been given.

Comment

Give me an old fashioned three hole brown nipple and a plain bottle any day of the week.

Comment

Is baby nursed at home? If so, does she often spit up after being nursed or does she just spit up when using the bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by Solandia View Post
                      The best bottles are the ones baby likes. LOL

I see the best results with Dr Browns & playtex drop-ins,the old school ones...but...with pukers I also see improvement using *distilled* water, and SOY formula. Not the AR, not the predigested something or other... soy. Which is seems that is not "suggested" much anymore at all, according to the lady at WIC, or the nutritionist I talked to the other day(i have a foster baby on soy right now). Anyway, with meds, soy and dr browns bottles, he rarely spits up and is fairly happy in general.

I have had two other babies with super bad reflux, and soy reduced their issues by half(they still were pukers, but "happy" pukers). Soy puke is sooooo gross, the laundry aspect was horrible. So getting another baby on soy, my initial reaction was "oh...poopy sticks...".
                      I agree completely. Soy formula has worked best for all of my pukers and it completely resolved their "reflux". The fact is, human babies are just not made for drinking cow's milk.

Comment

I agree completely. Soy formula has worked best for all of my pukers and it completely resolved their "reflux". The fact is, human babies are just not made for drinking cow's milk.
                        :confused: I thought formula was based off breast milk, not cow's milk.

Comment

I agree but I think soy is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 284878 View Post
                            :confused: I thought formula was based off breast milk, not cow's milk.
                            Formula has definitely evolved...

Cow milk based, human based, soy based...

Great read about its evolution:

The vast majority of infants in the United States are fed human-milk substitutes by 6 months of age. This food source, although inferior to human milk in multiple respects, promotes more efficient growth, development, and nutrient balance than commercially available cow milk.

Comment

I reflux is terribly overdiagnosed, and that reflux usually turns out to be milk intolerance/allergy, IME[/B].
                              Totally agree with this!! Happened to my little boy. He was on reflux meds and turned out he had milk allergy and larengomalcia (floppy larynx) I think it's their go to thing with a spitting up fussy baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X