Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Require Epi-Pen?

Hi all,

Ive been an early childhood educator at private schools and this is my first year running my in-home center. I have a child starting next week who has an epi-pen. At the schools I worked at we required the parents to supply us with an extra epi-pen to keep on hand in case of an emergency. This epi-pen stayed in the main office or in the teachers emergency back-pack.

My question is....can i have the same policy here at my home daycare or is there anything that has worked for you all in the past? My fear is that the parents would forget it one day OR Id have to go digging in a diaper bag if their were an emergency instead of a known spot OR Id have to keep constant tabs when he arrives on if the epi pen is there and in site. I also think the parents might have a fit if I require it to stay here. :/

Open to any suggestions

Originally posted by LLLdle View Post
    Hi all,

Ive been an early childhood educator at private schools and this is my first year running my in-home center. I have a child starting next week who has an epi-pen. At the schools I worked at we required the parents to supply us with an extra epi-pen to keep on hand in case of an emergency. This epi-pen stayed in the main office or in the teachers emergency back-pack.

My question is....can i have the same policy here at my home daycare or is there anything that has worked for you all in the past? My fear is that the parents would forget it one day OR Id have to go digging in a diaper bag if their were an emergency instead of a known spot OR Id have to keep constant tabs when he arrives on if the epi pen is there and in site. I also think the parents might have a fit if I require it to stay here. :/

Open to any suggestions
    Absolutely! I would NOT allow the child to be in care at all without one. Way too risky and like you mentioned what if the parent forgot?

I would insist they leave one with you.

Welcome to the forum too! happyface

Comment

Here in MD we must have a allergy or asthma treatment plan ( forms are from the state ) filled out by the child's doctor and the medication in original packaging when accepting a child into care .

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Absolutely! I would NOT allow the child to be in care at all without one. Way too risky and like you mentioned what if the parent forgot?

I would insist they leave one with you.

Welcome to the forum too! happyface
        Also, you do NOT want one in a diaper bag where other kids could access it! Get one that YOU can lock up and keep safe.

Comment

Epi-pens have a problem with exposure to heat. I'll have to read the pkg again. But being dragged around in the diaper bag might mean that it's been left in the car.

I would also ask parents to do the trainer with you (one comes in each double pkg) or leave it with you at least for a time. Also to leave a sheet with instructions about what to admin for each reaction. Only severe reactions (vomit or anaphylaxis) warrant the epi. Other reactions should be treated with benedryl.

If I find the good sheet I've seen, I'll post it here.

Comment

Just so you know, unless the parents have it covered by insurance, Epis cost like $500 each.

Comment

Originally posted by LLLdle View Post
              Hi all,

Open to any suggestions
              Just be ready to hear that the parents may not be able to afford more than one even with insurance... I know for a fact I can't because they cost $500-1000 a pop now and I pay out of pocket for mine; that and the epic pen literally has to be replaced yearly. Believe me I would want an extra in daycare if a child needed it, but it could actually be a budget breaker if a family is living paycheck to paycheck.

I go a few years in between & pray a lot that a bee doesn't sting me, but since the cost skyrocketed it's out of my range - the IRS gives me a waiver on medical each year ( I'm in a state that didn't expand healthcare for working poor) and I'm still too young to qualify for senior benefits thru DHS

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2Two View Post
                Just so you know, unless the parents have it covered by insurance, Epis cost like $500 each.
                More than that sometimes & if they haven't used their deductible it may come out of pocket like mine does

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2Two View Post
                  accidental death, failure to provide medical provisions and possible loss of business and person assets far exceeds $500.

Comment

Even with the cost, if I was to watch a child who needed an epi-pen, parents would have 2 options. Get one for me to keep, or hand it to me personally each morning. If they choose the 2nd option and ever forget to bring it, child can't be dropped off.

I've seen what happens when one is needed and not around. Luckily the ambulance was fast enough.
                    Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                    They are also our future.

Comment

Yes absolutely. Parents should provide an epi pen and clear written instructions from a doctor as to when to give it. Do not accept a child without one if that child has one prescribed. It comes as a twin pack (2 pens). Keep it out of reach of the children but not locked (you don't want to fumble around for a key in the unlikely event you have to use it).

Comment

Originally posted by lblanke View Post
                        Yes absolutely. Parents should provide an epi pen and clear written instructions from a doctor as to when to give it. Do not accept a child without one if that child has one prescribed. It comes as a twin pack (2 pens). Keep it out of reach of the children but not locked (you don't want to fumble around for a key in the unlikely event you have to use it).

That's a very good point.
                        Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
                        They are also our future.

Comment

The EpiPen brand only comes in a two-pack, so your parents should have a second one that stays with you. That's how we do it with our daughter.

The cost is extraordinary, yes, and most insurance only covers a small portion of it, yes. We had the Auvi-Q, which the allergist gave us a manufacturer's coupon for, and I think the upfront cost was much less. But then GENCO had a recall on the Auvi-Q, so now we have the EpiPen again.

I have read that it's possible for parents to have a compounding pharmacy create a generic epinephrine solution for you and give you a syringe for it. You could see if your family's allergist would consider that.

Apparently, there's a third competing brand called Adrenaclick. We'll be looking into that when our current EpiPens expire.

Comment

Originally posted by Pestle View Post
                            The EpiPen brand only comes in a two-pack, so your parents should have a second one that stays with you. That's how we do it with our daughter.

The cost is extraordinary, yes, and most insurance only covers a small portion of it, yes. We had the Auvi-Q, which the allergist gave us a manufacturer's coupon for, and I think the upfront cost was much less. But then GENCO had a recall on the Auvi-Q, so now we have the EpiPen again.

I have read that it's possible for parents to have a compounding pharmacy create a generic epinephrine solution for you and give you a syringe for it. You could see if your family's allergist would consider that.

Apparently, there's a third competing brand called Adrenaclick. We'll be looking into that when our current EpiPens expire.
                            I was actually just talking about this with one of my daycare moms. Her son needs one for home, daycare AND school. They would only cover one epipen pack. She called the insurance and explained that this was a life saving medicine. They told her they would cover one pack a month since it was medically required and the school required it. The insurance ended up covering 100% of the cost and she was able to get three sets. Maybe you could call your insurance and ask? It just seems unfair that insurance wouldn't cover something that is necessary! The cost of an epipen being covered would be cheaper than a hospital visit for the insurance to pay out!

Comment

Originally posted by sahm1225 View Post
                              I was actually just talking about this with one of my daycare moms. Her son needs one for home, daycare AND school. They would only cover one epipen pack. She called the insurance and explained that this was a life saving medicine. They told her they would cover one pack a month since it was medically required and the school required it. The insurance ended up covering 100% of the cost and she was able to get three sets. Maybe you could call your insurance and ask? It just seems unfair that insurance wouldn't cover something that is necessary! The cost of an epipen being covered would be cheaper than a hospital visit for the insurance to pay out!
                              I accidentally burst into tears (at the office, in front of my manager) while on the phone with the insurance company, and the agent felt bad enough to cover part of the prescription that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X