No announcement yet.

How Do You Handle This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some years of dealing with a lot of this i changed drop off and pick up policies.Instead of coming into my space I met them at the door.I have parent say goodbye child and I come in.Shut and lock door.At pick up same parent if not picking up at same as everyone else called I brought child ready to leave bye bye at door back to others.If we were outside I would leave yard for a quick walk around block.Children held onto stroller (safety straps).Parents took child put them in car .Child got sticker if did not fuss at parents worked great.Winter I set up reading chairs and bench.THIS WAS AT FRONT DOOR EVERYONE WAS READY TO GO AND READING IN THEIR SEAT.pARENT CAME ONLY THAT CHILD GOT UP SAID HELLO TO PARENT GOT THEIR STICKER AND LEFT.This was all explained in interview...Parents were told that children acted up when they came and it made everyone crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by rosieteddy View Post
      After some years of dealing with a lot of this i changed drop off and pick up policies.Instead of coming into my space I met them at the door.I have parent say goodbye child and I come in.Shut and lock door.At pick up same parent if not picking up at same as everyone else called I brought child ready to leave bye bye at door back to others.If we were outside I would leave yard for a quick walk around block.Children held onto stroller (safety straps).Parents took child put them in car .Child got sticker if did not fuss at parents worked great.Winter I set up reading chairs and bench.THIS WAS AT FRONT DOOR EVERYONE WAS READY TO GO AND READING IN THEIR SEAT.pARENT CAME ONLY THAT CHILD GOT UP SAID HELLO TO PARENT GOT THEIR STICKER AND LEFT.This was all explained in interview...Parents were told that children acted up when they came and it made everyone crazy.
      This is how I do it, too, now.

I had dcps drop their children, I'd think they had left, and then found out that they had gone through the upstairs of my house. Now they don't get the opportunity.

And I tell potential dcps at interviews that The Wandering Dcp is the reason why I do it this way now. ::

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Herder View Post
        But it does bother you. Clearly. You can't give a little without it escalating into a lot. You see that, now.

Drop off and pick ups should be quick. Time spent with an adult should not be time taken from a child in your care. That is how you explain it to parents.

If a parent needs to talk they schedule a conference. The only person you can change is you. :hug:
        Ugh. You're SO right! You cant give an inch because they take a mile!! & I KNOW this :: Lesson learned. Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
          This is how I do it, too, now.

I had dcps drop their children, I'd think they had left, and then found out that they had gone through the upstairs of my house. Now they don't get the opportunity.

And I tell potential dcps at interviews that The Wandering Dcp is the reason why I do it this way now. ::

Excuse me, I'm going to go tour your house now. :: But then some parents might just say, sure, come on over.
          Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
          They are also our future.

Comment

A majority of chatty parent stay to chat because they are avoiding having to go home and parent their child.

I handle chatty parents much differently now but when I first opened, I used to tell them I'd love to chat but it has to be in the morning not at pick up. Morning cuts into THEIR work time NOT mine. It usually stopped the second they realized it was tough to make it to work on time.

Comment

Working...
            X