Movement Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement Monitors

Does anyone use movement monitors on infants (for SIDS).

I'm starting an infant in a few weeks, and another one a few months after that. I had an Angelcare Monitor for the previous ones.

I'm just curious if anyone else uses them, and what brands/types.

I've used an angel are one in the past but it broke and I haven't ended up replacing it. I take babies, but feel pretty confident in just physically checking them often. However, I have heard good things about sunza ones. If I ever go with a motion style of monitor again, I'm pretty sure this is the direction I would go in.

Comment

We are NOT allowed to use any of these types of devices.

They create a false sense of security and nothing replaces actually physical checks on infants while sleeping.

We would be cited and/or fined if we used any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by finsup View Post
        I've used an angel are one in the past but it broke and I haven't ended up replacing it. I take babies, but feel pretty confident in just physically checking them often. However, I have heard good things about sunza ones. If I ever go with a motion style of monitor again, I'm pretty sure this is the direction I would go in.
        I was thinking of switching to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
          We are NOT allowed to use any of these types of devices.

They create a false sense of security and nothing replaces actually physical checks on infants while sleeping.

We would be cited and/or fined if we used any of them.
          Who is talking about replacing physical checks?

Where I live, we are required to do 15 minute checks, but a lot can happen in 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by midaycare View Post
            Who is talking about replacing physical checks?

Where I live, we are required to do 15 minute checks, but a lot can happen in 15 minutes.
            I dunno... I didn't say you should. (?)

I am just sharing what my licensing department tells us about these items. We have to have infants sleep within sight at all times. (NOT saying you should)

I think they are great and as a parent, I'd have used one in a for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
              I dunno... I didn't say you should. (?)

I am just sharing what my licensing department tells us about these items. We have to have infants sleep within sight at all times. (NOT saying you should)

I think they are great and as a parent, I'd have used one in a for sure!
              I used one as a parent and loved it. I felt tremendous piece of mind as a new parent.

As a daycare provider, hearing horribly tragic stories about dck's who die of SIDS during daycare hours, I need to use this for my sanity currently. I'm not saying it's100% foul proof, but it's an extra step.

I also have infants sleep within sight, I just am not taking any risks. Things happen so fast. I could be doing a particularly nasty diaper change, or sending a dck out the door, and miss something.

Now in Michigan they are in the process (or maybe it's done already) of making a law where home daycares will be held responsible for deaths such as SIDS, and there will be serious jail time.

No thanks!!!

Comment

I used one as a parent and loved it. I felt tremendous piece of mind as a new parent.

As a daycare provider, hearing horribly tragic stories about dck's who die of SIDS during daycare hours, I need to use this for my sanity currently. I'm not saying it's100% foul proof, but it's an extra step.

I also have infants sleep within sight, I just am not taking any risks. Things happen so fast. I could be doing a particularly nasty diaper change, or sending a dck out the door, and miss something.

Now in Michigan they are in the process (or maybe it's done alreaof making a law where home daycares will be held responsible for deaths such as SIDS, and there will be serious jail time.

No thanks!!!
                Wait, what?! That is absolutely insane. A provider who looses a dck to sids is no more responsible than a parent who looses a child to sids Assuming safe sleep, provider sober, frequent checks etc, all that good stuff is going on.

Comment

Wait, what?! That is absolutely insane. A provider who looses a dck to sids is no more responsible than a parent who looses a child to sids Assuming safe sleep, provider sober, frequent checks etc, all that good stuff is going on.
                  Not anymore. I will do a search for the law. Itbwas approved in May.

Comment

Not anymore. I will do a search for the law. Itbwas approved in May.
                    That's so unfair to you guys

Comment

I can't make it clicky, but you can do a search for Cooper Fales and Bridges Day Care in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Laws were passed in April/May that if you have a child die in your home and you have ANY state violations - doesn't have to be related to the death, the state could come in and find your exit sign is in the wrong place - and you can face up to 20 YEARS in jail.

Comment

I can't make it clicky, but you can do a search for Cooper Fales and Bridges Day Care in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Laws were passed in April/May that if you have a child die in your home and you have ANY state violations - doesn't have to be related to the death, the state could come in and find your exit sign is in the wrong place - and you can face up to 20 YEARS in jail.
                        Wow I would not be taking infants at all in that case

Comment

Originally posted by NillaWafers View Post
                          I really thought long and hard about it. I tried to fight against the law, too.

Ultimately, kids who start with me as infants have a much easier time than the kids who come in at 1, 2, 3. I just need ALL safeguards and measures in place before the next one arrives.

Comment

That's ridiculous. There isn't even a cause for sids. How could they charge you for it if everything is done correctly.

From my research (which isn't much) I've read that if sids is going to happen, it's going to happen. You can't save a baby who dies from sids. In this case, a monitor won't do anything.
                            I'm not sure how accurate this is though.

Comment

Originally posted by NillaWafers View Post
                              If that happened here I will go to a no infant program. And take the two extra kids I'm allowed to have by not keeping infants.

Comment

Working...
                              X