Camera Monitoring In Centers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Monitoring In Centers

Why are childcare providers so reluctant to be transparent? Most tell parents that they are doing everything they should, but when parents request cameras in their facility the answer is no. Some use the excuse that it's too expensive, but here in Texas there is a company that provides the cameras, installation and maintenance at no cost to the centers. Parents pay (and most are willing) to pay a low monthly fee. But providers still say no. How can parents fully trust what they don't see? Why wouldn't a daycare center provide the ultimate open door policy and allow parents to view what goes on if there is nothing to hide? Wouldn't any provider what to provide a safer place for their children and staff alike?

Originally posted by DaycareService View Post
    Why are childcare providers so reluctant to be transparent? Most tell parents that they are doing everything they should, but when parents request cameras in their facility the answer is no. Some use the excuse that it's too expensive, but here in Texas there is a company that provides the cameras, installation and maintenance at no cost to the centers. Parents pay (and most are willing) to pay a low monthly fee. But providers still say no. How can parents fully trust what they don't see? Why wouldn't a daycare center provide the ultimate open door policy and allow parents to view what goes on if there is nothing to hide? Wouldn't any provider what to provide a safer place for their children and staff alike?
    It has NOTHING to do with being reluctant to being transparent and everything to do with privacy.

There is NO way a parent can view the activities of THEIR child during the day without being privy to other children.

Also seeing a snippet of ANY activity hardly gives you the big picture and imagine the impact this would have on the parent-provider relationship.

NOT happening here. If a parent is seriously that paranoid or is unable to make it through the day without seeing what Jr is doing then perhaps placing your child in daycare (home or center) is the wrong parenting choice for them.
    Last edited by Blackcat31; 07-14-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't any provider what to provide a safer place for their children and staff alike?
      Can you explain this line of thought?

How is having parent accessible camera's something that creates a SAFER place for children or staff??

Comment

Parent accessible cameras are safer for children because the staff is more likely to be more careful and mindful in caring for children because they know their actions are visible. Along the same line of thought, businesses in general that have cameras installed face less incidents of theft and dangerous situations because criminals don't want to be seen. Thus, increased employee/staff safety.

Comment

Privacy is not violated if parents are informed, upon enrollment, that the daycare center has cameras installed.

Comment

Parent accessible cameras are safer for children because the staff is more likely to be more careful and mindful in caring for children because they know their actions are visible. Along the same line of thought, businesses in general that have cameras installed face less incidents of theft and dangerous situations because criminals don't want to be seen. Thus, increased employee/staff safety.
            That is untrue. I can link you to 1000's of centers where staff are caught on cameras they KNOW were recording.

Sorry but I am not buying that. Cameras do NOT equate to safety.

BTW, I have cameras. They cover every square inch of space I have but they are for ME and my liability. Licensing and law enforcement are welcome to view them at ANY time but not parents. Ever.

Comment

Privacy is not violated if parents are informed, upon enrollment, that the daycare center has cameras installed.
              Some of what is discussed, mentioned or talked about among the children themselves and among the children and myself is really no one else's business.

As a parent if I had a private matter my provider was aware of (as well as my child) I would not be comfortable if my child happened to bring it up and the camera allowed other parents to hear.

There are many PRIVATE family issues that clients share privately with me. I am the SAFE place for the child. I am the place where the child can comfortably talk about personal and private things.

Knowing Sally's parent can hear Billy share with me his feelings about how sad he is that his daddy doesn't live with him anymore is not okay. Ever.

Comment

I don't agree with this.
                If anything, the media shows us the idiots every day who do things on camera.

Also, for selfish reasons, I wouldn't want to work in a place where I knew the camera was constantly on ME, scrutinizing every move I made by the families who were SUPPOSE to trust me. Instead of being free to have fun with the kids, belting out my out of tune rendition of Old McDonald, I'd be quiet and reserved. Instead of feeling free to roll around on the floor or pick the wedgie out (sorry-had to be said), or shovel food in my mouth in the 30 second break I have, I'd be reserved and quiet.

And honestly, let's delve into the parents... how do you know that all the people that have access to view those cameras (and I'm assuming it's an online access) aren't doing inappropriate things with those images? In a center, that's dozens of families whom you don't know. Who don't have background checks or have personal or criminal history on.

And if we really want to get into security... most big businesses (including centers) DO have security cameras. They're just not going to give YOU access to them.

Comment

And honestly, let's delve into the parents... how do you know that all the people that have access to view those cameras (and I'm assuming it's an online access) aren't doing inappropriate things with those images? In a center, that's dozens of families whom you don't know. Who don't have background checks or have personal or criminal history on.
                  That is the most concerning thing to read. When my daughter was in a daycare facility I always assumed that background checks were done on staff and parents alike...at least they were done at the center she attended. So I can only assume that most day care centers allow anyone to enroll and then we trust that everything happens as it should between the staff and parents? I'm sorry. We don't live in such a world.

I understand that the lack of cameras is more about not wanting to be seen and monitored than safety. I don't agree with it, but it is the reality of what childcare providers want in this day and age.

Comment

Like BC, I have cameras - for me, law enforcement, and licensing, if ever needed. I have heard too many horror stories about home daycares getting shut down for a year or more while an investigation is done, only to find out the daycare was completely in the clear.

Hopefully I never run into that. But if I do, I will gladly hand over a copy of my tapes.

As another poster mentioned, I don't need parents accessing me and the kids all the time. Yikes. There is no way I would dance and be all silly and goofy, if I knew I was being stared at.

I worked at a business where the owner installed a camera so he could watch us from home to make sure we were doing our jobs. He had remote control of our computers, so he could see our screens, too. I quit. You don't trust me? That's not my problem.

Comment

Some of what is discussed, mentioned or talked about among the children themselves and among the children and myself is really no one else's business.
                      This is possibly why most of the daycare providers that offer cameras don't offer audio...only visual.

Comment

That is the most concerning thing to read. When my daughter was in a daycare facility I always assumed that background checks were done on staff and parents alike...at least they were done at the center she attended. So I can only assume that most day care centers allow anyone to enroll and then we trust that everything happens as it should between the staff and parents? I'm sorry. We don't live in such a world.

I understand that the lack of cameras is more about not wanting to be seen and monitored than safety. I don't agree with it, but it is the reality of what childcare providers want in this day and age.
                        What I think the OP meant is, that we wouldn't know who was watching the footage. For all we know a parent (or someone they allowed to view the footage) could be a child molester getting their enjoyment from watching YOUR child!

I have thought of getting cameras, and if I do it will be for myself and law enforcement only to view just like the others. I will not allow strangers to watch the children in my care. And honestly you can't be sure who is watching that footage.

Comment

Why do you assume that having camera makes a place safer?

When getting my teaching degree I worked in two expensive daycare centers. Both had camera systems. Both had staff abusing children in corners of the room where the camera couldn't reach. I reported incidents often, documenting what I saw and heard, stating that other people did as well (I had asked if they would also say something if called in), etc. Those people remained on staff BECAUSE it was too difficult for them to find enough people to employ. With low pay, demanding work, and rude attitudes...you just aren't going to get wonderful long term employees.

Don't assume a camera = safe.

I feel that it is less likely to occur in an in home. It may not be, but I feel it is. Only because the OWNER of the daycare is an actual WORKER in the daycare. They're invested in their business. They want to see it do well. They want their reputation to be good. They go above and beyond. This has been my experience for my own place as well as all of the other ladies I network with.

Comment

Another problem I see, is a parent watching a very small part of an interaction between child and provider and completely misinterpreting what they are seeing. No context, no dialogue makes it is sometimes very easy to misinterpret what you are seeing.

Example, when I care for a young infant, when infant and I are interacting and baby is making noises. I will gently tap my fingers on there mouth to make new sounds with baby. I am being gentle, baby is having fun but a parent may just see me hitting their baby in the face. No context.

Also what if a parent sees another child bump, hit or trip their child and then tries to reprimand that child or the parents? It does happen.

Comment

Again, I disagree. We DO live in such a world. Thousands of parents place their blind trust in family child care providers. A majority of which do not have cameras.

Asking again, how does having cameras guarantee higher safety. Can you give me some examples of how a parent being able to view (without sound) a snippet of their child's day would ensure a higher level of safety?

Even if a parent watched the camera ALL day long...I am not understanding HOW that guarantees them that added safety.

I have an open door policy. Meaning parents can (and are encouraged) to pop in ANY time they want. If I am doing ANYTHING unsafe, they can "catch" me then.

Also for me personally, the safety of the children is MORE important to me than it is to most parents. After all, I AM the one that makes sure I sleep infants according to safe sleep recommendations, I have a valid CPR/First Aid certificate, take a variety of trainings and classes that help educate me on healthy eating, developmental growth and many other things that ensure that child in my care are safe.

Most parents I know can't even say no to their child...even in UNSAFE situations so again, cameras are in NO WAY a guarantee of safety for anyone.

I understand that you believe in what you sell and that you trust that your customers, consumers and clients believe you when you educate them about your services.

It's the same way for child care.

Comment

Working...
                              X