How to Help DCG at Nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Help DCG at Nap

I have a 16 month old DCG who has been with me for a month now.
    Everyday at nap, she wakes up 4- 6+ times completely hysterical to the point where she wakes up the whole house. Its all one motion- eyes open, stands up, full on hysterical fit. I have to pat her back to sleep each time. The poor child is exhausted. By pick up time, she is usually falling asleep on the floor waiting for mom.
    We have made progress in other areas. For example, the first couple weeks she would scream hysterically when I would get the nap mats out. Now she gets excited and jumps right on her bed and lays down.
    I thought for sure we would have made progress by now. I talked to mom. Mom said she doesn't wake up multiple times at home but when she does wake up at the end of nap she cries.

Is there anything I can do to help DCG sleep better? For her sanity and mine.

That's super rough. I don't have any advice - but I'm sure someone will :hug:

Comment

I just had this issue. I received lots of good advice here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=whisperers

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
        I just had this issue. I received lots of good advice here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ght=whisperers
        Thanks.
        I just read over your thread. The biggest issue I have is that all the rooms in my house are right next to each other. If I just let her cry, she wakes everyone up. I did let her cry one day and she screamed for 2 straight hours. No one slept that day and I thought i was going to go mental.

Comment

Question: when she wakes up in the middle of nap screaming, should I lay her back down each time she sits up? Or should I just leave her?

Comment

Is it possible she needs both a morning and afternoon nap? Maybe she is overly tired?

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
              Is it possible she needs both a morning and afternoon nap? Maybe she is overly tired?
              I tried a morning nap. She screams for 2 hours straight. Every time I tried. I know she is exhausted.
              It's so frustrating because she fabulous except for nap time.

Comment

Originally posted by jenboo View Post
                Question: when she wakes up in the middle of nap screaming, should I lay her back down each time she sits up? Or should I just leave her?
                I went in in increasing intervals to lay her back down. 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, etc. If it makes her more upset, then I would just leave her.

It took me 4 full weeks (right to the last day) for it to click for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by childcaremom View Post
                  I went in in increasing intervals to lay her back down. 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins, etc. If it makes her more upset, then I would just leave her.

It took me 4 full weeks (right to the last day) for it to click for mine.
                  This is the last day of our 4th week. I'm in vacation next week too. So we will be starting over once I back. Oh joy.
                  I hope it clicks soon. I'm going to talk to mom about it today again. Yesterday and today she woke the whole house up with her screaming.

Comment

Search Music Therapy on Facebook. That's the name of the site I've used, Supposedly it's the right frequency for deep sleep. I don't sleep well and it's helped me personally!

Have you tried white noise? A fan or even a white noise machine.

If she would let you before nap massage her feet or palms lightly...reflexology. You can google exact spots on hands or feet for sleep. I'd try this a number of days. It's worked for me. Might be worth a try even if she wakes up.

Possibly these may help.

Comment

This is the last day of our 4th week. I'm in vacation next week too. So we will be starting over once I back. Oh joy.
                      I hope it clicks soon. I'm going to talk to mom about it today again. Yesterday and today she woke the whole house up with her screaming.
                      I also did as Heidi suggested: didn't pick her up when she was screaming. Went in with a big smile and told her that nap was over and tried to get her to stop screaming before I picked her up. She would usually stop as soon as she saw me.

I've had this happen twice. First time I tried 4 months (!!!) before terming. I swore never again. This time I was convinced we had turned the corner and dcm pulled. So hopefully it goes better with you. :hug: I know how nerve wracking it can be.

Comment

There's zero chance that she's a co-sleeper at home? I only ask because she acts like the toddlers I've had who still co-sleep at home.

Comment

In my case with the co-sleepers... Some adjusted to being on a nap mat in the middle of the play room with classical music playing loudly and I would stay within sight but not make eye contact during nap time. Eventually some would sleep and some never did but would nap for a little while and then lay quietly until I told them it was time to get up and have fun.

Comment

Update

So I talked to mom some more and ..... DCG sleeps in a stroller at home!

I have no idea how to even go about this whole situation now.
                            Advice is welcome.

Comment

So I talked to mom some more and ..... DCG sleeps in a stroller at home!

I have no idea how to even go about this whole situation now.
                              Advice is welcome.
                              Yikes! Are the parents pushing the stroller while DCG sleeps or is she just sitting/laying in stroller?

Comment

Working...
                              X