Sharpies VS. Fabric Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpies VS. Fabric Markers

I ordered some drawstring bags and some visors for the daycare kids to decorate off of Oriental trading, along with a few other things. It says use fabric marker or perm. marker. The fabric markers are more expensive. So I am thinking we will use sharpies. Has anyone done this type of craft? Does it really matter which I use?

Sharpies are permanent markers, so I would think they would be fine.

Comment

Sharpies come in several varieties. Even the "permanent" variety will fade over time. Fabric markers also come in several varieties and manufacturers.

BE SURE that any fabric marker you use is appropriate for the fabric content of your item (don't use a "cotton" or "natural fabrics" marker on a polyester item).

In most cases, you'll get better results if you wash the item first. This removes any starches or fillers which would absorb the dye from the markers and would wash out with the first trip thru the laundry. READ the directions. Some fabric markers are permanent as soon as applied. Others require heat setting (ironing) before they are permanent.

SO...if not to be laundered frequently, Sharpie permanent markers will be fine. If you plan on lots of use and laundering, fabric markers generally give better results.

Also remember fabric markers are meant for fabric so they will glide easier over fabric whereas Sharpies will sometimes jump or skip across the fabric causing breaks in any continuous strokes. Sharpies also tend to bleed through the fabric and will show on the otner side or second layer if fabric is folded.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcat31 View Post
        Sharpies come in several varieties. Even the "permanent" variety will fade over time. Fabric markers also come in several varieties and manufacturers.

BE SURE that any fabric marker you use is appropriate for the fabric content of your item (don't use a "cotton" or "natural fabrics" marker on a polyester item).

In most cases, you'll get better results if you wash the item first. This removes any starches or fillers which would absorb the dye from the markers and would wash out with the first trip thru the laundry. READ the directions. Some fabric markers are permanent as soon as applied. Others require heat setting (ironing) before they are permanent.

SO...if not to be laundered frequently, Sharpie permanent markers will be fine. If you plan on lots of use and laundering, fabric markers generally give better results.

Also remember fabric markers are meant for fabric so they will glide easier over fabric whereas Sharpies will sometimes jump or skip across the fabric causing breaks in any continuous strokes. Sharpies also tend to bleed through the fabric and will show on the otner side or second layer if fabric is folded.
        Thanks for the great info! I am thinking since sharpies are cheaper, I will just use them this summer. Since this is a craft for 5-8 yr olds. They won't be something to last forever anyway, and the visors and bags are cheap, so who knows how long they will last. Two of my kids will draw two little things on them and say "can I be done?". This is what we are decorating.

Run, kick, shoot and score with these fun visors! No matter your sport, you’ll find it on these hats. Each white visor comes preprinted with a sport ...

Comment

Working...
        X