Need Help On Wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help On Wording

We always have a welcome to summer party and I provide everything. I cater the dinner and even have goody bags. This year, I want to have the parents bring stuff. How do I word that? It ends up costing me so much money and I know they all love it, but I am losing kiddos in the fall and I am tightening my financial belt.

Do I do a sign up sheet with things we need? I plan on providing the main dinner, paper plates and stuff. It would be bringing sides, drinks, dessert, etc.

I don't want parents to think it's tacky.

Call it a potluck and have a sign up sheet! Not tacky at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sahm1225 View Post
      We always have a welcome to summer party and I provide everything. I cater the dinner and even have goody bags. This year, I want to have the parents bring stuff. How do I word that? It ends up costing me so much money and I know they all love it, but I am losing kiddos in the fall and I am tightening my financial belt.

Do I do a sign up sheet with things we need? I plan on providing the main dinner, paper plates and stuff. It would be bringing sides, drinks, dessert, etc.

I don't want parents to think it's tacky.
      I would absolutely make a list of what's needed and have parents sign up for specific things. Otherwise, everyone brings the same bag of chips... ::

I think it's great that you host something like this at all...so if parents want to attend/participate asking them to bring something to contribute is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

A list for parents to put their names beside what they are willing to bring is a great idea. At my church, we have a church supper a few times a year. The pastor and his wife bring the main course and a sheet is hung by the door a couple weeks in advance with a list of what's needed.
        Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
        They are also our future.

Comment

I think the best way for potluck sign ups is categories. Then you get a variety. They don't have to say what it is from that category (For example "meatballs") they just write their name. That way there aren't a lot of doubles but they don't have to plan it so well ahead of time -which means they are more likely to sign up! Because really I think if you take some pressure off, you get better participation... just my take on it. Good luck!

Savory: _____

Sweet : _____

Salad : _____
          Salad : ______

Bread : _____
          Bread : ______

Comment

We sort of tricked our parents into doing it, on our sign in sheet I worte a letter saying, "Parents, if you have not registered for our party please do so on the following page [party date and time here] also, it has come to our attention that some parents would like to bring some items- if you would like to donate xyz or bring in a dish, please indicate so on the following page, Thank you!" and at pick up a the families were reading it, I blamed myself; "Oh, a few parents had asked if they could bring anything; I'm super forgetful so I just had them write it down. It's optional of course, but I wanted to make that option available to those who asked"

Comment

I suggest you do a paper sign up or use http://www.signupgenius.com/

You do not need to highlight the difference this year just state it as fact. We are so excited party is on X date and we would love for all families to contribute 1-2 items. Please sign up so we can plan accordingly.

Have them sign up for what they want to and then you can fill in with any items missing, they may surprise you with all they are willing to contribute.

Comment

Working...
              X