Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCD Rubbed Me The Wrong Way At Pick Up Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCD Rubbed Me The Wrong Way At Pick Up Today...

On my 2nd week with new DCB. He's almost 9 months and chunky as heck. They just pulled him out of his old home daycare because they found out she was smoking around the children (don't worry, completely diff. story ) Well, I provide pack N plays for the infants to sleep in. This baby wants nothing of the sort and he is used to sleeping in swings. This would be fine if the 26 lb. old 9 month old fit in my swing, he doesn't. SO, DCM (on paperwork) writes that he falls asleep in swing or if I rock his car seat.

Friday afternoon he was screaming bloody murder whenever I laid him in the pack N play. Texted mom with a sweet pic of him fallen asleep in his carseat shortly after being put in it and that it was his happy place (smiley face).

Also, remember I have cameras in play rooms so that parents can log in -TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN PLAY-. DCD gets here today and he says, so I'm curious about something! I thought it would be a good question and was excited to answer it until he asked me why his son is in his car seat so much. I am gladly going to go over the entire day on fast forward on my DVR and record it to play for him and DCM, to proudly show that my days consist of WORK and not of me putting his child into his car seat all day long. Are you kidding me? He was in it for an hour nap this morning and an hour nap this afternoon (was still sleeping in it when DCD picked up)

So...Now I have this in my head. He was real nice afterwards, "ok ok I was just curious". But now, I feel like I'm being monitored. I feel like I will feel so uncomfortable tomorrow morning when I turn those cameras on knowing that I'm being watched. How insecure am I going to feel when that baby wants nothing but to sleep in his car seat tomorrow? I guess I'll call DCD for early pick up since I won't be able to soothe his baby ::::::

Oh god..this sucks. Am I overreacting?

Originally posted by KristinsHomeCC View Post
    On my 2nd week with new DCB. He's almost 9 months and chunky as heck. They just pulled him out of his old home daycare because they found out she was smoking around the children (don't worry, completely diff. story ) Well, I provide pack N plays for the infants to sleep in. This baby wants nothing of the sort and he is used to sleeping in swings. This would be fine if the 26 lb. old 9 month old fit in my swing, he doesn't. SO, DCM (on paperwork) writes that he falls asleep in swing or if I rock his car seat.

Friday afternoon he was screaming bloody murder whenever I laid him in the pack N play. Texted mom with a sweet pic of him fallen asleep in his carseat shortly after being put in it and that it was his happy place (smiley face).

Also, remember I have cameras in play rooms so that parents can log in -TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN PLAY-. DCD gets here today and he says, so I'm curious about something! I thought it would be a good question and was excited to answer it until he asked me why his son is in his car seat so much. I am gladly going to go over the entire day on fast forward on my DVR and record it to play for him and DCM, to proudly show that my days consist of WORK and not of me putting his child into his car seat all day long. Are you kidding me? He was in it for an hour nap this morning and an hour nap this afternoon (was still sleeping in it when DCD picked up)

So...Now I have this in my head. He was real nice afterwards, "ok ok I was just curious". But now, I feel like I'm being monitored. I feel like I will feel so uncomfortable tomorrow morning when I turn those cameras on knowing that I'm being watched. How insecure am I going to feel when that baby wants nothing but to sleep in his car seat tomorrow? I guess I'll call DCD for early pick up since I won't be able to soothe his baby ::::::

Oh god..this sucks. Am I overreacting?
    Okay, I stopped reading at the bolded part......

Under no circumstances is that fine. ever.

Soooo dangerous and soooooo against safe sleep practices.

Comment

Sleeping in the swing? I know it is! What is the suggestion if a baby will not sleep in bed?

Comment

I'm going to back track this as I was shaken up when I wrote this, before it turns into a bash post for safe sleeping practices.

The swing does not matter since one does not even exist for him to sleep in, in the first place. It was brought up because that's what old provider did for him. I know it is not safe, but this wasn't my child care I was talking about.

I use pack N plays or provider cribs for my infants. Toddlers sleep on mats on floor. This baby would go into a Pack N Play in normal circumstances.

Comment

First - babies should not sleep in their car seats or swings. I know our licensing is clear that if they do fall asleep they are to be immediately put into their bed. It takes times to transition but I would highly recommend it.

Second - this is a HUGE reason why I would never do camera's. If parents log it twice and both times the baby is sleeping, you are automatically someone who puts them in their seat all day. If they log in and baby is crying and they don't see you consoling, then you are neglecting their child. Doesn't matter that you may be feeding another child, helping a child in the bathroom, fixing lunch or even heaven forbid, using the bathroom yourself. Way too many things that can be misinterpreted just popping in to check a video feed.

Comment

Originally posted by snbauser View Post
            First - babies should not sleep in their car seats or swings. I know our licensing is clear that if they do fall asleep they are to be immediately put into their bed. It takes times to transition but I would highly recommend it.

Second - this is a HUGE reason why I would never do camera's. If parents log it twice and both times the baby is sleeping, you are automatically someone who puts them in their seat all day. If they log in and baby is crying and they don't see you consoling, then you are neglecting their child. Doesn't matter that you may be feeding another child, helping a child in the bathroom, fixing lunch or even heaven forbid, using the bathroom yourself. Way too many things that can be misinterpreted just popping in to check a video feed.
            I've had these cameras with no problems for a year this month. This was my first "bring up" about something I was doing. I am completely comfortable with my current families that love to check in when I send them a text that we'll be doing a fun activity in "x" room at "x" time. This DCD makes me seriously want to shut them off. I think I will just be uncomfortable with this continuing.

Comment

Sleeping in the swing? I know it is! What is the suggestion if a baby will not sleep in bed?
              There is none. He needs to sleep in a PNP or crib.

Sleeping in a swing or car seat is not safe or acceptable.

I'd show her your state regulations or provide her with safe sleep information.

It's up to the parent to "train" their child to sleep in a manner in which they can at daycare. If they co-sleep or allow baby to sleep in unsafe positions (swing or car seat) on their time, that is their option (still not recommended but we can't control what parents do at home) but I would absolutely share with them what you are and aren't allowed to do in care and then EXPECT them to follow through on that.

If child does not settle in and sleep in a manner that is acceptable by licensing rules then you are either going to have to rock him to sleep until you no longer have to or you'll have to terminate care.

I will NOT keep a child that cannot thrive in care.

I will PM you a letter I give parents that helps them understand where I am coming from...

Comment

Babies can't sleep in car seats either! I actually gasped when you said you took a picture of that and sent it to mom. That could put you out of business if the picture gets into the wrong hands or if this family terms or gets termed... I can't even count the number of infant deaths at daycare from sleeping in car seats I have seen on the news lately.

Comment

After continuing discussing it with DCD, he suggested putting the pack N play in our playroom because DCB isn't used to sleeping in a room alone. I have a fairly small house where the pack N plays/cribs are in a seperate bedroom so that thise sleeping are able to do so peacefully. I am all about the transition and making him comfortable but good lord...it really really rubbed me bad. I'm also PMSing so who knows ::

Comment

Please don't let this child sleep anywhere but the PNP or crib. It could be deadly, and you would loose your career and could end up in jail. If baby will not sleep in a PNP or crib you have two choices. 1.Sleep train him. 2. Term if the parents won't get on board with sleep training. But please do not take the chance! And if licensing came in, it would likely be a HUGE fine/violation.

Comment

After continuing discussing it with DCD, he suggested putting the pack N play in our playroom because DCB isn't used to sleeping in a room alone. I have a fairly small house where the pack N plays/cribs are in a seperate bedroom so that thise sleeping are able to do so peacefully. I am all about the transition and making him comfortable but good lord...it really really rubbed me bad. I'm also PMSing so who knows ::
                      I am saying this sincerely and without judgement. You r first mistake was letting the parents dictate what you do at your house. He should not be in a swing/carseat or any other type of equipment for sleep. You already know that, though, so my bigger point is that you need to stop letting parents use camera feed to watch you. Not only is it a huge invasion of privacy for you and everyone in your care, but as you stated, it misleads parents in to thinking...well, whatever they want to think. It is way to open to interpretation, not to mention the privacy issue.

I understand your frustration, but you are using logic that just is not justified. "well he won't sleep in XXX, so what else am i going to do???" You are going to use safe sleep practice or you are going to term...no family or child is worth the havoc that one bad situation can ave on you, your family, or your business.

Comment

I totally get where you are coming from..Been there done that ,but the regs have changed.. I start a tough infant by rocking if I had to.Then when they were asleep laying them down in the pack and play.I also found that a radio in all napping areas be on from start of nap until end.The radio was on same station everywhere...I tried to put crib where I could see it.I would hate to have had cameras .Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for your concern on the safe sleeping practices. I can assure you the car seat will not be used again, regardless of how uncomfortable or irritated the baby is in the Pack N Play.

As far as letting the parents dictate what I do here, it's not so much that. I run a smaller home child care by choice and only allow a certain number of children here. (Way under my ratio allowance). I tend to want better relationships with the families, quality vs. quantity sort of thing. So when they request I do something to make their child more comfortable, I'm going to give it a try until it exceeds my comfort zone or it makes things overall more difficult.

Comment

A crying baby is an alive baby.

Don't make me tell my son's story again. I am having a good day.
                            - Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.

Comment

Thank you all for your concern on the safe sleeping practices. I can assure you the car seat will not be used again, regardless of how uncomfortable or irritated the baby is in the Pack N Play.

As far as letting the parents dictate what I do here, it's not so much that. I run a smaller home child care by choice and only allow a certain number of children here. (Way under my ratio allowance). I tend to want better relationships with the families, quality vs. quantity sort of thing. So when they request I do something to make their child more comfortable, I'm going to give it a try until it exceeds my comfort zone or it makes things overall more difficult.
                              Parents always request what will make their kid more comfortable...some things we can do, some we cannot. All of us run a program that is QUALITY versus quantity and we do so in a way that follows licensing standards. We have had numerous threads, but BC just mentioned it recently, "Parents cannot give permission to do the wrong thing". You may think that is a quality, but in reality, the minute you compromise on safety to appease a parent, you are offering less that quality service. Please do not think I ma trying to be hard on your or be mean...I am sincerely trying to let you know that you must think of yourself and your family first. Don't let parent problems be your problem.:hug:

Comment

Working...
                              X