Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Would Be Nice If My Fellow Providers Would...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finsup View Post
    I simply wish more liscesned exempt providers would:
    Operate legally
    Pay taxes
    Act like a professional as opposed to a babysitter.

I get people who come from other home providers with no rules, cheap rates and operating illegally and don't understand why I have policies etc. When they don't do those things, it gives liscesned exempt a bad reputation and harder for me to get interviews or get people who will even consider basic policies.
    Other then that, people can run their business as they see fit
    I agree with this. In California, they passed a sick leave law and a $15 minimum wage (to be implemented incrementally) this year alone. I haven't been full in months because my rates reflect what it costs to do business in this state. It kills me that licensing has rules around operating illegal childcare but won't enforce them. On the flip side, they will happily fine me $150 if I forget to put an outlet cover back on. I'm hoping things are better in the Portland area, where I'm moving to.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
      before getting pregnant, create a budget for paying the full cost of childcare.
      good.
      but unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
        I have always run legally in whatever state I was in; I am very professional in my career too. Here I can legally be licensed exempt for 4 babies, AND because I do nothing but infants, the only thing licensing will do is add double paperwork it will not add to my #'s; I have paid taxes all 16 years I've done childcare (I was licensed for many years). I have a contract, policies & a website that has been running over 10 years now... need I go on.

BTW, I get paid double what some of the other legally licensed exempt in my area charge and I have a wait list... I get that some people expect all small homes do like the last provider, thankfully, I get first timers so I can train them from the get go
        I run legally also. It would cost me a small fortune to become licensed, and not really increase my income any. But I do wish that if people were going to provide childcare licensed or not, they would follow the rules and pay their taxes just like I pay mine. I have one parent now who when I gave her her tax statement on 12/31/15 look at me with a look of shock on her face and say "I have never had a provider who would give me their tax info". I told her "that is the difference between running a high quality childcare and trying to make a couple of bucks". I am trying to make a name for myself even being unlicensed, but those who don't worry about that give all of us a bad name, and by all of us I really mean all home providers.

Comment

Originally posted by LysesKids View Post
          I have always run legally in whatever state I was in; I am very professional in my career too. Here I can legally be licensed exempt for 4 babies, AND because I do nothing but infants, the only thing licensing will do is add double paperwork it will not add to my #'s; I have paid taxes all 16 years I've done childcare (I was licensed for many years). I have a contract, policies & a website that has been running over 10 years now... need I go on.

BTW, I get paid double what some of the other legally licensed exempt in my area charge and I have a wait list... I get that some people expect all small homes do like the last provider, thankfully, I get first timers so I can train them from the get go
          I love that! That's a great thing about this site, lots of people who do operate legally unliscesned and are doing it the right way! I'm the same way, my rates are pretty high and I have a wait list too. I will say it does take longer to get families though because of the reputation of unliscesned care in this area :/

Comment

I didn't read all the responses. It's weird to me too.

If I remember correctly, isn't it illegal to 'price fix'? I'm not sure but if providers all got together and decided not to price below a certain amount isn't that price fixing? Maybe I have the wrong term or understanding of what price fixing is???

Anyway, most of us, by law, can only watch a certain number of children. I could have 6 and when I'd get call number 7, I'd refer them to a provider that had openings. There was rarely competition because there are a lot of providers.

I took part time because even though I was allowed to have 6, for many years (mostly as I got older), I only wanted 4 and then at the end 3. So I would have 4 full time spots and 1 part time spot. That gave me a little extra money with a little less work. For example, if I had a 3 day a week part timer, I wouldn't try to fill the other 2 days. I didn't want 5 full timers. I wanted a little break 2 days a week.

Comment

I love that! That's a great thing about this site, lots of people who do operate legally unliscesned and are doing it the right way! I'm the same way, my rates are pretty high and I have a wait list too. I will say it does take longer to get families though because of the reputation of unliscesned care in this area :/
              Yep it does take longer to fill spaces AND because I do nothing but infants, so much can change in 6 months, that the waitlist could be for nothing . I also have parents look at me like I have 2 heads when I explain they can claim the childcare credit; a lot of new parents here (and a few 2nd timers) had no clue

Comment

Eh, the only issue I have is that the providers in my town don't seem to take regulations as seriously as they should/I do. And yes, this is an problem for me as potential clients, not realizing the others aren't following regs, think I'm picky/anal, etc and go with other providers. There's one provider in town that everyone loves, but she admitted to me that she was cited for having baby sleeping in a car seat. Her response to me was "the parents knew the baby was sleeping in the car seat and they didn't mind."

Now I know some will say that I don't want them as clients anyway, etc. But at some point I do need to pay my bills.

Though I do think my situation is specific to my area.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post
                  Eh, the only issue I have is that the providers in my town don't seem to take regulations as seriously as they should/I do. And yes, this is an problem for me as potential clients, not realizing the others aren't following regs, think I'm picky/anal, etc and go with other providers. There's one provider in town that everyone loves, but she admitted to me that she was cited for having baby sleeping in a car seat. Her response to me was "the parents knew the baby was sleeping in the car seat and they didn't mind."

Now I know some will say that I don't want them as clients anyway, etc. But at some point I do need to pay my bills.

This is my issue. People are right I probably don't want the parents who want to pay $10 a day, but I still have bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Care View Post

Its a common misconception that if parents give a provide permission that it somehow over rides state or licensing regulations or rules.

Its actually sad how many times we've typed the words "parents cannot give you permission to do the wrong thing" on this forum.

Perhaps, that is also one of the reasons "everyone loves" this provider...she may be a "parent-led provider."

Comment

That's actually very funny: 'parent-led provider' hahahaha I can just see it in the ads and paperwork: "Parent-Led Childcare: Pick and choose your own policies and procedures! You're paying, you're the boss!" Heheheheh

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Pistachio View Post
                        good.
                        but unrealistic.
                        Nope, not unrealistic at all and is quite necessary if this is a planned pregnancy. I did this before having kids because I had no intention of actually staying home with them. My husband and I sat down and figured out all of the different scenarios. I also asked my boss about getting an extra 6 months unpaid leave from my job so that my child qualified for toddler care which is less $$ than infant care....all before getting pregnant.

So many people plan for pregnancy but never for an actual baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                          Nope, not unrealistic at all and is quite necessary if this is a planned pregnancy. I did this before having kids because I had no intention of actually staying home with them. My husband and I sat down and figured out all of the different scenarios. I also asked my boss about getting an extra 6 months unpaid leave from my job so that my child qualified for toddler care which is less $$ than infant care....all before getting pregnant.

In some states babes are considered infants until 15, 18 or even 24 months old... your state apparently it's the one year mark, but that isn't most cases. In some states Toddlers don't qualify for lower fees in centers either, so what may work for you doesn't mean it's the norm

Comment

Point being that she did her research and planned accordingly which is what she suggested.

Comment

I simply wish more liscesned exempt providers would:
                              Operate legally
                              Pay taxes
                              Act like a professional as opposed to a babysitter.

I get people who come from other home providers with no rules, cheap rates and operating illegally and don't understand why I have policies etc. When they don't do those things, it gives liscesned exempt a bad reputation and harder for me to get interviews or get people who will even consider basic policies.
                              Other then that, people can run their business as they see fit
                              The bold above is a huge one for me. One ex provider in my area runs a local daycare FB page where providers can advertise. She made a post warning parents to do background checks because she had to delete a provider from the page for being sited. This sparked a discussion from other providers offering tips on what to look out for when interviewing. Many professional, career providers mentioned enrolling with a provider who claims taxes. The admin of the page chimes in and says she did not claim her income on taxes because "it didn't work for her and there are other ways around it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post

I agree with this in theory. When it works out. I think people should do it, but things happen people get sick, loose jobs, have accidents and most people who do plan forget to plan for those things. People don't want to think about something bad happening. But I guess some plan is better than no plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X