Developmental Delay in 3 Year Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developmental Delay in 3 Year Old?

Dcb will be 3 next month. About 3 wks ago he transitioned from toddler to early pre room. I've worked in both rooms so I know expectations are not that much different (toddlers expected to sit still for 5 mins. at group time, early pre sits for 10, etc.)

Dcb has really been struggling. His verbal communication is limited, he can say a couple of phrases ("Help me" or "I don't like that") but much of his speech is unclear and just sounds like gibberish. Some phrases are out of order (ex. "Pick up Billy Daddy")--referring to himself as Billy. He often screams or cries out of frustration vs. using words.

His comprehension also seems to be lacking. If he hits a child with a book and I ask him to come talk to me, I ask "Do you know why I asked you to come here?" he just looks at me blankly. If I ask "What are books for? Are they for hitting?" I get the same reaction. Idk if he is being obstinate or genuinely doesn't understand my question.

He needs constant reminders to do simple tasks and needs constant reminders throughout (ex. for washing hands I need to be right there next to him to keep him from playing in the water, washing the soap bottle instead of his hands, cupping his hand under the faucet so the water sprays out...) And we wash hands probably 10-12 times a day, every.single.day.

He sits on the toilet at every diaper change and pees in the toilet about half the time. He doesn't communicate to an adult that he has to go. (Dcm says he tells her at home, but I have serious doubts about this). If I ask him if his diaper is wet or dry he says the wrong answer. Even after he poops in his diaper he doesn't seem to be aware of it.

I feel like self-help & communication skills are more advanced for children at his age. Are my expectations too high? He's only been in young pre for 3 weeks, am I asking too much, too soon?

Sounds like typical development to me. He won be able to answer questions like that even in happy circumstances, much less when he's getting in trouble. I would just say what I want him to know: "Books are for reading". The water play- totally appropriate. I would take advantage of your excellent observation skills and use that information to create curriculum that is relevant and interesting to Billy. If he loves to play in water, give him appropriate water play. Then when he is at the sink, you can tell him, "You can play with water at the water table. At the bathroom sink, you can wash your hands." Then, I guarantee you, he will do it. Tell them what they "can" do.

Comment

Also as for toileting, I actually do believe the mom about his abilities at home. It's because he's having too much fun and is distracted at the center. That's why he doesn't notice or care if he has accidents ('intentionals' is more like it , almost all kids do it).
      A two year old with mixed up word order and mispronunciations- very normal.
      If you like, I can write up a curriculum plan for an activity for you. It could be for language or health and safety (hand washing), or social development (not hitting)... I can sort of show you how I would do it based on observations. You've already done half the work. You have observed where he needs development support and you have observed what is of interest to him!...

Comment

Originally posted by CalCare View Post
        Also as for toileting, I actually do believe the mom about his abilities at home. It's because he's having too much fun and is distracted at the center. That's why he doesn't notice or care if he has accidents ('intentionals' is more like it , almost all kids do it).
        A two year old with mixed up word order and mispronunciations- very normal.
        If you like, I can write up a curriculum plan for an activity for you. It could be for language or health and safety (hand washing), or social development (not hitting)... I can sort of show you how I would do it based on observations. You've already done half the work. You have observed where he needs development support and you have observed what is of interest to him!...
        Thanks for your feedback! I do want to point out that dcb is turning 3 in June next month, so I think of him more as a 3 year old already than a 2 year old. Since the other kids in class aren't displaying these behaviors, it makes Billy's behavior stand out and seem "abnormal" to me. That's why I love this forum, getting a new perspective outside of the "bubble" of my classroom is so helpful!

I would love that curriculum plan, that's so generous of you!

Comment

When I worked for the school district as an early childhood special educator, the advice that I gave to parents AND teachers was to trust your gut. You spend every day with this little one and see him in comparison to his peers. If something feels off, it's worth exploring.

Does your center hold conferences? If so, you can check in with the parents and see if they have any concerns about development. The one that stuck out most for me was speech. At 3, he should be using short sentences (3-5 words on average) and most people should be able to understand him.

When should your child learn to crawl, talk, and potty-train? Learn what is normal, and how to recognize early signs of developmental delays.

This is a great guide covers the skills a typical 3 year old has.

Comment

I agree with you Spedmommy. If you're feeling something is off, there is certainly no hurt in looking into it and there IS hurt in not doing anything, if he turned out to have a delay. It just sounds typical to me. And, of course, there is a large range in what can be expected. He hasn't even turned three yet and is using sentences- they're just a little grammatically incorrect.
            I agree, trust your instincts.

Comment

PM me for that lesson plan info

Comment

Originally posted by spedmommy4 View Post
                When I worked for the school district as an early childhood special educator, the advice that I gave to parents AND teachers was to trust your gut. You spend every day with this little one and see him in comparison to his peers. If something feels off, it's worth exploring.

Does your center hold conferences? If so, you can check in with the parents and see if they have any concerns about development. The one that stuck out most for me was speech. At 3, he should be using short sentences (3-5 words on average) and most people should be able to understand him.

When should your child learn to crawl, talk, and potty-train? Learn what is normal, and how to recognize early signs of developmental delays.

This is a great guide covers the skills a typical 3 year old has.
                Yes, we have conferences 2x/year and just had them in April, but of course dcb's parents didn't show up. Both parents think dcb is very smart and advanced and haven't shared any concerns about development. I agree spedmommy speech is my biggest concern too.

Comment

At close to 3 I would expect MUCH more with speech development. How many single words does he say? A new 2 should say 20 understandable to a stranger single words. Can he follow one step directions? "run to the door" (don't point) Does he follow basic instructions (eg. "Hand me the car?") Can he answer yes or no questions?

Can you send home an ages and stages question form or request a parent conference and cite "getting to know him, what can I do to help with X, Y, Z and getting him comfortable enough in the classroom to do X, Y, Z?"

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post
                    At close to 3 I would expect MUCH more with speech development. How many single words does he say? A new 2 should say 20 understandable to a stranger single words. Can he follow one step directions? "run to the door" (don't point) Does he follow basic instructions (eg. "Hand me the car?") Can he answer yes or no questions?

Can you send home an ages and stages question form or request a parent conference and cite "getting to know him, what can I do to help with X, Y, Z and getting him comfortable enough in the classroom to do X, Y, Z?"
                    Im dealing with a 2 yr old who turned 2 in feb who cant follow simple directions. Runs instead of walks. Cant play well with others. And doesn't know more than 20 words. I absolutely think he has a delay. Dcm says doctors dont know what theyre talking about when they said he was delayed so I am not sure how to tell her she should be referred to birth to 3. I am going to try to asq and talk with her.

Comment

Well do you mean can't follow simple directions as in, he doesn't care to, or that he actually doesn't comprehend them. When ages and stages types of checklists say something like "can follow 3 step directions" or "can follow simple directions", it doesn't mean they will do as they are told when given directions. It only means they understand it. Many typically developing 2 and 3 year olds have perfectly fine receptive language, but could not care less what you are asking them to do. Just sayin!

Comment

He should have much more expressive and receptive language for sure but everything else seems very typical. A lot of kids cannot answer questions when they are in trouble. I have a 3 yr old daughter who is smart as a whip and still is no where near being ready for using the potty eventhough my first was trained by now. She will still tell me she hasn't pooped when she has! It is frustrating but can be typical.

Comment

Originally posted by daycarediva View Post

He probably says 50-100 single words...I doubt all of them could be understood by strangers.

He doesn't follow simple instructions, but as CalCare said, I don't know if it's because he doesn't understand or he just doesn't want to do it. When I tell him anything ("sit down", "wash your hands") I say it 4-5 times and often have to physically guide him b/c he still doesn't do it. He doesn't answer yes or no questions.

Right now my plan is to do his 3 year old Ages & Stages Questionnaire next month after his 3rd bday and share the results w/parents. I can also recommend he get his pre-k screening b/c in my state it's mandatory to have a screening before entering K and a child can be screened as soon as they turn 3.

Comment

Has he ever had a hearing test done? He might be not listening because he can't hear you....might also explain the lack of words.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariana View Post
                              Has he ever had a hearing test done? He might be not listening because he can't hear you....might also explain the lack of words.
                              I think that's a very good possibility too. He hasn't had a hearing test to my knowledge, but the required early childhood screening has hearing & vision tests so the results should be very helpful...now the only issue is convincing dcm to do the screening sooner rather than later...

Comment

Working...
                              X