Our Gardening Unit This Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MunchkinWrangler View Post
    I love this idea. I don't have any advice but I wish my backyard was suitable for something like this. happyface
    Use pots! Our actual garden is tiny, only 12'X17'! It has our tomatoes, peppers and squash in it. Our cukes are in a different spot. Potatoes, lettuce, radishes and other stuff grows in pots. I have also done tomatoes and peppers in pots. Anything you can grow in the ground, you can grow in a pot. Pots though you have to water very frequently. The bigger plants daily, since they have less soil to hold water. When I was doing tomatoes and peppers in pots, I used 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
      Use pots! Our actual garden is tiny, only 12'X17'! It has our tomatoes, peppers and squash in it. Our cukes are in a different spot. Potatoes, lettuce, radishes and other stuff grows in pots. I have also done tomatoes and peppers in pots. Anything you can grow in the ground, you can grow in a pot. Pots though you have to water very frequently. The bigger plants daily, since they have less soil to hold water. When I was doing tomatoes and peppers in pots, I used 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom.
      I didn't even think of that! Time to go buy some seeds. I really love this idea. Not only for the learning aspect but the fresh food as well. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftylady View Post
        Test tubes are on my list of things I want for science stuff. We did just start flower seeds in Ziplock bags and then transplant them to small pots for Mother's day. Through the paper towel you could see the roots, and you could see the stems and leaves that started. You know what kills me though? We do these things and I am never sure if anything actually "clicked" in those little heads of theirs.
        I did this same thing in a jar with the toddler (3) in my group, and she understood completely. We did a seed journal where she scribbled pictures of the seeds each day for 2 weeks, and then we transplanted the seedlings to a flower pot she painted for Mother's Day. Today we talked about it again, and she was able to tell me how she grew the plants from seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss A View Post
          I did this same thing in a jar with the toddler (3) in my group, and she understood completely. We did a seed journal where she scribbled pictures of the seeds each day for 2 weeks, and then we transplanted the seedlings to a flower pot she painted for Mother's Day. Today we talked about it again, and she was able to tell me how she grew the plants from seeds.
          Today DCB and I went to town where they do sell the ends of newspaper rolls for $2-$5 depending how much is left on them I got a $5 roll. It is still cheap compared to at the store for the long paper! While in town I stopped at Goodwill and they had five glass spice jars with lids, I got them thinking they will be good test tubes, even if the shape and size is different. I am already planning this afternoon if we have time to plant some different seeds in each one for observation! I have our chart up for them to list their observations. You all have great ideas!

Comment

Working...
          X